Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Racing Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

will ring them once the Dublin festival is over
    if they give me that offer I will take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Anyone try the Sky Bet offer and how did it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

jonnybravo wrote: »

i got it going, but had to ring racingtv and skybet to get it all sorted.

Great value 6 months at the height of the season for free. And i wanted a skybet account anyway so all good..

Have to say i love the HD converage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

jonnybravo wrote: »

I’m with virgin media and have had no end of back and forward with them and still not sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Is the offer only available as a streaming service only or can you get it on your TV?

Is the offer only available as a streaming service only or can you get it on your TV?

I got it going on my sky box . Just had to ring racingtv give them code and sky viewing card numbe

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJ59

It would be nice if Virgin media gave us poor suckers stuck with them both channels in HD. Can't understand what the problem can be with providing this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cgeaney

I was just trying to cancel my subscription on racingTv. They don't allow you to do this online and you have to phone a number. There is a separate number for cancellations. However i have been waiting for long periods to speak to someone and my email to them has not been answered promptly. be very careful signing up with these guys as they make it very hard to stop.

cgeaney wrote: »
    I was just trying to cancel my subscription on racingTv. They don't allow you to do this online and you have to phone a number. There is a separate number for cancellations. However i have been waiting for long periods to speak to someone and my email to them has not been answered promptly. be very careful signing up with these guys as they make it very hard to stop.

I was 42 minutes on hold yesterday

FORTY TWO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

cgeaney wrote:

AFAIK there is no cancellation process with the sky bet offer. You are just cut off after the 6 months.

AFAIK there is no cancellation process with the sky bet offer. You are just cut off after the 6 months.

Not sure about that, i got a bill that will charge a full year after 6 months. Obv ill be cancelling, but id be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lou 123

Pinesky wrote: »
    They offered you the Black Friday deal . I think that's as low as they will offer . I took it myself and I think it's good value . I used to use the other "options " but found they were not fully reliable . I find the evening reviews are worth watching , in depth interviews and good race analysis .
    This is the title of the first race at Dundalk tonight - "RacingTV #12.00 Offer Starts Tomorrow Handicap of €12,500.00" - looks like the same deal as the Black Friday one is on offer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Lou 123 wrote: »
    This is the title of the first race at Dundalk tonight - "RacingTV #12.00 Offer Starts Tomorrow Handicap of €12,500.00" - looks like the same deal as the Black Friday one is on offer again.

I might try and get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Got this in an email from Irish Field this morning:
    The Dublin Racing Festival is finally upon us, and to celebrate we have teamed up with the new home of British and Irish racing, Racing TV, to give you their best offer. Join Racing TV for just €12 per month (normally €31) for 12 months and, not only will you enjoy every race live from Leopardstown this weekend, you'll enjoy fantastic action throughout 2019 including complete coverage of the Cheltenham Festival!

This offer must end at midnight on Sunday. Join today and make a huge saving of €228 over the next 12 months - new and reinstating Racing TV members only.
    To take up this fantastic offer simply call 0818 776 779 (ROI) or 0845 111 6999 (NI) and quote Dublin Racing Festival or visit racingtv.com/drf - hurry, it is only available this weekend!

Personally, not going to take it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

12e a month is still 12e too much.

Surely most lads are working 5 days a week. How often do you be at home (especially those with a young family) and have the time on a Saturday & Sunday to sit down to watch (what is mostly muck) racing to make that 12e worthwhile.

All the decent races are covered free to air on a Saturday, as are the bigger festivals. I can only speak for myself, but im sure plenty of folk are in the same boat as me. I dont see the point anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

I find when you stick with terrestial tv you tend to limit your selections to those races,i have racing tv and atr so i have a wider spectrum when selecting my bets as i know i am going to see every race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I find when you stick with terrestial tv you tend to limit your selections to those races,i have racing tv and atr so i have a wider spectrum when selecting my bets as i know i am going to see every race.

Yeah I get that. But you can watch it online once you place a bet, and that's what I tend to do. But I don't bet that often anyway, mainly cos I don't have the time. Probably not a bad thing :D

ITV showing the Dublin racing festival tmrw
    3 races going live on UKTV
    Good news

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

ITV showing the Dublin racing festival tmrw
    3 races going live on UKTV
    Good news

Whos giving out about the switch from ATR now

The wouldnt give the rights to ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Do ITV not have a major stake in Racing TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Harry Redknap a guest on RacingUK last night. Your subscription fee hard at work there, for sure.

No offence to Kate H but she is very very poor as a presenter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Racing UK ads on RTE2 during the racing :D tactical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

No offence to Kate H but she is very very poor as a presenter

Agree but i'm biased so lets ask Philippa cooper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Im trying to take up that offer of the €12 per month, but it's not accepting either of my cards, and there doesn't seem to be anyone answering their phone lines this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

A lot of fans not impressed with Racing TVs coverage of the racing at Gowran on Saturday.

Some disaster of a decision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Was never going to work unless they had a second channel.

I used to enjoy even the post race chat from Lydia etc but hardly any of that now with everything crammed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Shaney Boy

I didn't bother signing up for RTV and I can't see myself doing so for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Ironically/strangely, Eir do not include Sky Sports Racing in their Sky Sports package.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJ59

I think their coverage Monday to Friday and Sunday is good. Saturday was always going to be a problem because of the way the British racing authorities overload it while neglecting Sundays. Last Saturday was a disaster with to much high quality racing and no room to digest a race before the next one came along. The coverage of Gowran was a disgrace. On ATR quite often the Irish racing was all they had in the NH season along with an all weather card from Lingfield or wherever so they could give it proper coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭onlyonpaper

Anyone see any offers recently for Rtv Irish coverage. With flat racing starting again at end month I thought there may be some fresh offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Anyone see any offers recently for Rtv Irish coverage. With flat racing starting again at end month I thought there may be some fresh offers

Thought I saw €15 per month offer in the rp during this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

TV3 or Virgin or whatever there called have really made a balls of Cheltenham. RTEs coverage can leave a lot to be desired but really miss the Irish perspective during this week. ITV racing focus on the British horses and rightfully so but it wouldn't hurt for TV3 to send a few lads over instead of the ITV crap.

Ted Walsh alone is worth it. The man has forgotten more than any of us will ever know about racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

piplip87 wrote: »
    TV3 or Virgin or whatever there called have really made a balls of Cheltenham. RTEs coverage can leave a lot to be desired but really miss the Irish perspective during this week. ITV racing focus on the British horses and rightfully so but it wouldn't hurt for TV3 to send a few lads over instead of the ITV crap.

Ted Walsh alone is worth it. The man has forgotten more than any of us will ever know about racing

ITV Racing coverage is pathetic,utter garbage.Give me RTE anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Of all the stations - RTV, ATR, ITV, RTE,

RTE is by far my favourite racing coverage. They really need to show more, don’t like that clown andy mccnarama who does be down at the start tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭ON ZEE BRIDLE

I won't hear a bad word about Andy Mac, lovely fella!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Of all the stations - RTV, ATR, ITV, RTE,

RTE is by far my favourite racing coverage. They really need to show more, don’t like that clown andy mccnarama who does be down at the start tho

Well RTE are ok except for Brian Gleeson who seems more suited to ITV.

RacingUK coverage an absolute disgrace again yesterday.

Instead of showing the Group 2 Minstrel Stakes at the Curragh yesterday, they showed a poor novice handicap chase in England instead.

I hope HRI are proud of themselves.

They are doing the deal again today for £10 a month for 12 months.

I took it so ill have it for the whole NH season. Seems about the price its worth .

Had it for free for 6months with the skybet offer, kind of missing it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I decided to go to the races at The Curragh yesterday evening, Friday 23rd August.
    The first race was at 17:10 so I left south Dublin at 15:45, 1 hour and 25 minutes before race time. Google maps shows the fastest route as 57 kms, time 45 minutes.
    I arrived at The Curragh just after 18:00, a journey time of 2:15. The reason was an accident on the M50 at Finglas, and then a three car shunt on the N7 near the Dublin/Kildare border.
    I missed the first two races and arrived as the field for the third pace was leaving the paddock to go to post.
    Putting on the races at traffic rush hour can result in delays to spectators.

The “crowd” at The Curragh was about 500 people.
    Before one race I was at the rail near the finishing post, turned around and started to count the crowd in the stand.
    I got to 120 for the left half of the stand (incl people at tables), the race started, the rest of the stand had about 180, a total in the stand for the race of 300.
    Imagine attempting to count a crowd at a racecourse! It is easy at The Curragh. :pac:

Walking to the car park before the last race (to avoid the crowd :rolleyes:) I bought two Toblerone and the woman said “There is no one in there, the races start at 5 o'clock and people would be at work“.

The television rights to Irish racing were sold a while back in a controversial deal.
    Now we have the Irish Derby at 17:20 in the evening, and four race meetings at The Curragh in August on Friday nights starting at 17:10.
    I am a little slow. The idea is forming in my head that he not only sold the TV pictures, he also the Irish race programme to the TV companies.
    Four race meetings on Friday evenings must be for a foreign TV (betting) audience.
    Do the TV companies decide when the races are run. Are the races run at times to suit TV viewers in other countries, ignoring the Irish race-going public.
    It is a bit like the English soccer Premier League. The event is at the time the TV company dictates.
    Events are spread throughout the week to increase the online betting take.

To attend four August evening meeting at The Curragh if employed you would need to take four half days from your annual leave.
    Other than that the attendance must be pensioners (me), the unemployed (very few in a booming economy), a student with a car, a housewife/househusband with a car and no dependants, tourists (are there any tourist attractions/beaches near The Curragh?).

All the race meeting last night was missing was the tumbleweed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is appalling that there is no Irish race meeting at the Curragh today to enable the fat cats of the HRI take a deal from UK television execs to have a Friday night race meeting that no one attends. What a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is appalling that there is no Irish race meeting at the Curragh today to enable the fat cats of the HRI take a deal from UK television execs to have a Friday night race meeting that no one attends. What a shambles.

I believe the lack of Sunday racing today is the agreement with trainers/stable staff that they would have more free Sundays throughout the summer months so staff could have holidays and the staff shortages that trainers are having.

Nothing to do with money but manpower I believe and will be interesting to know if the 2020 fixtures will have much changes on this when they come out in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

aidankkk wrote: »
    They are doing the deal again today for £10 a month for 12 months.

I took it so ill have it for the whole NH season. Seems about the price its worth .

Had it for free for 6months with the skybet offer, kind of missing it now.

Assume this was literally a one day offer. Went into their site and it’s still full price

Assume this was literally a one day offer. Went into their site and it’s still full price

Yeah . It popped up on my app . Only yesterday. It’ll defo be back again . Worth it for nh season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Yes checked at 10pm on Friday and had to add Sky viewing card number by 23.59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

abarkie wrote: »

4.8E not good enough !

abarkie wrote: »

Thank you. Bugger and damn. Would have done it if I had seen it. Prob miss next one as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement