Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-09-2019, 19:48   #1
Kaskade

Am I responsible for cutting the hedge on my Neighbour’s side

I have a very awkward Neighbour. They are demanding that we cut their side of the hedge

We planted the hedge
We cut our side and the top
We have no issue with them cutting their side if they want to

Question:
Are we legally required to cut there side every time they demand us to
Advertisement
08-09-2019, 19:49   #2
Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Legally? Probably not. But you wanted it, you planted it, so I would personally. Not on demand, just whenever you’re doing yours.
08-09-2019, 19:59   #3
Wabbit Ears

No, You are under no obligation to cut hedges on their side.

You are not legally required to cut their side every time they demand us to ever.

Should you? yes, yes you should when ever you cut your own hedge, but you need to be clear this is at your discretion, not on demand.
Thanks from:
08-09-2019, 20:00   #4
Cork_exile

You wanted and planted it along the boundary I assume, instead of a foot or so back, so you could maintain your own hedge?

Are you say that they are the awkward neighbour?
08-09-2019, 20:01   #5
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskade View Post
I have a very awkward Neighbour. They are demanding that we cut their side of the hedge

We planted the hedge
We cut our side and the top
We have no issue with them cutting their side if they want to

Question:
Are we legally required to cut there side every time they demand us to
You're the awkward neighbor pal.. you want legal justification to not cut your own hedge!?
(93) thanks from:
?Cee?view, ahnowbrowncow, AirAmp2019, alroley, AnnaSophia, Azatadine, B0jangles, baby and crumble, BDI, Birdie086, blackbox, bladespin, Bob the Builder, Brian?, Brussels Sprout, C3PO, Casshern88, charlietheminxx, Chelle_C, ciaran76, CiaranIRE, colly10, colm_mcm, corks finest, Cork_exile, DaveyDave, detoxkid, donegal., Doodoo, Earthhorse, Eathrin, ELM327, endacl, frash, gerrybbadd, GingerLily, gman127, Happy4all, Inviere, IrishZeus, jayobray, jimmii, Joeseph Balls, jomalone14, josephsoap, JPCN1, Jude13, juno10353, kceire, lazybum, Lonestar1, Manzoor14, MAXFANTANA, McGaggs, mcgucc22, Midnight_EG, mystic86, NDWC, now online, Officer Giggles, OmegaGene, Oral Surgeon, Pablo_Flox, PaddyBomb, pc7, pm1977x, PWEI, Rackstar, red petal, Rezident, RobMc59, RoryMac, runawaybishop, Season 2, Silane, SNNUS, Sonny noggs, Sorry about that, Squeeonline, Star Lord, stiofan85, SuperS54, Tabnabs, TheBigGreen, the_syco, This is it, Treppen, Truckermal, twowheelsonly, wench, woodchuck, Yourmama, Zadkiel
Advertisement
08-09-2019, 20:05   #6
Cloudio9

If my neighbour expected me to cut their hedge I’d be using roundup to cut it back.
08-09-2019, 20:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudio9 View Post
If my neighbour expected me to cut their hedge I’d be using roundup to cut it back.
And what if they expected you to cut your hedge and you wouldn’t? Should they use roundup then?
Thanks from:
08-09-2019, 20:12   #8
Stanford

You are not legally required to enter their property and cut the hedge even if the spread arises from your own planted hedge, however they can cut it back and throw the cuttings in to your garden, be a good neighbour and offer to cut it back from time to time
(4) thanks from:
08-09-2019, 20:12   #9
NewRed2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudio9 View Post

Yeah but its not their hedge, it's the OP's hedge.

Forget the legal aspects and cut the hedge.

We have laurel trees here that sometimes grow over the fence into my neighbour's side so I cut the lot when it needs doing, it's just fair.

They have apple trees that hang over our side at times and I trim them too.
Why would you bother checking legalities, just trim them and move on.
Advertisement
08-09-2019, 20:52   #10
tvjunki

You need their permission to go on their property to cut it and therefore you are under their house insurance if there is and accident. If you do decide to do it make sure you have an email or text from them saying it is ok and that you are covered under their insurance. They may change their mind.
Thanks from:
08-09-2019, 21:05   #11
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjunki View Post
You need their permission to go on their property to cut it and therefore you are under their house insurance if there is and accident. If you do decide to do it make sure you have an email or text from them saying it is ok and that you are covered under their insurance. They may change their mind.
And make sure you stay away from the childs swing unless it's supervised...

OP, can you not just talk to the neighbor? in a neighborly fashion and work it out without having to resort to legal advice from the internet?
08-09-2019, 21:12   #12
Dav010

I’d have to say, i disagree with most posters. I live next door to a family who have a row of Laylandiii trees along the boundary giving privacy to both of us. We share the cost of cutting every couple of years, I wouldn’t expect him to cut my side. Also, the trees are reasonably high so if they are cut back on his side and not on mine, they fall on my side if they give way.

Having said that, good fences make good neighbors. If you are cutting them yourself and it’s not too much trouble, be a good neighbour, it can make life easier.
(3) thanks from:
08-09-2019, 21:45   #13
riclad

If you plant a hedge you should be ready to cut it every few months .
But you need to ask permission to go into their garden,
its its not possible to cut it from your side of the boundary.
I presume you asked them for permission to plant the hedge .
08-09-2019, 21:53   #14
ZX7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by riclad View Post
If you plant a hedge you should be ready to cut it every few months .
But you need to ask permission to go into their garden,
its its not possible to cut it from your side of the boundary.
I presume you asked them for permission to plant the hedge .
They would not require permission from there neighbor to plant the hedge
Thanks from:
08-09-2019, 21:55   #15
elperello

If a neighbours hedge is growing over the boundary into your property you are entitled to cut it back to the boundary line.
You can then offer the cuttings to the neighbour but they are not obliged to take them.
If you throw them over the boundary without their consent that is littering.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion