Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I responsible for cutting the hedge on my Neighbour’s side

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

AulWan wrote: »
    You were not aware of how wide hedges grew? Then maybe you should have researched more before planting one, one foot inside your boundary.

You keep going on and on about your neigbours not being decent people but that actually has nothing to do with the hedge. You created this problem. I don't see they've done anything wrong here.

When you talked to them about planting the hedge, did you not also discuss who would be responsible for maintaining it?

I don't like hedges, too much work. If my neighbour had came to me about planting a hedge I would only agree to it on the understanding that they made sure it did encroach on my garden. If they had erected a fence and your overgrown hedge was knocking it down, you'd have to fix it.

I’m done debating this. This is clearly a contentious issue all over the world. I know the situation between the ex Neighbour and the past history but I won’t go into details. Have never had a problem with any other Neighbour. Quite the opposite in fact. They agreed that the hedge, they suggested 1m inside my only past experience if hedges was how my parent and their civilized neighbours dealt with takin turns like adults. More fool me assuming that everybody was that civilized. I’m gone, no longer my problem. Lesson learned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Kaskade wrote: »
    I’m done debating this. This is clearly a contentious issue all over the world. I know the situation between the ex Neighbour and the past history but I won’t go into details. Have never had a problem with any other Neighbour. Quite the opposite in fact. They agreed that the hedge, they suggested 1m inside my only past experience if hedges was how my parent and their civilized neighbours dealt with takin turns like adults. More fool me assuming that everybody was that civilized. I’m gone, no longer my problem. Lesson learned!

Stop muddying the waters. You're using the excuse of "other issues" with the neighbour to justify being less then a good neighbour yourself.

You also didn't answer my question - did you not discuss (at time of planting) who would be responsible for maintaining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How many times do I need to say that there are other issues.
    So, you are engaged in a "tit for tat" engagement, and you are now trying to one-up the neighbour by planting an invasive bush on your property next to the neighbours, to annoy them?
    They agreed that the hedge, they suggested 1m inside my only past experience if hedges was how my parent and their civilized neighbours dealt with takin turns like adults.
    From your neighbours point of view, you'll be the uncivilised neighbour growing bushes that are overtaking his garden. With a but of luck, the neighbour will erect fences to prevent your bush covering his patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

the_syco wrote: »
    So, you are engaged in a "tit for tat" engagement, and you are now trying to one-up the neighbour by planting an invasive bush on your property next to the neighbours, to annoy them?

From your neighbours point of view, you'll be the uncivilised neighbour growing bushes that are overtaking his garden. With a but of luck, the neighbour will erect fences to prevent your bush covering his patch.

According to the op, bushes were planted 15 yrs ago with agreement of neighbour. It helps to read the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Dav010 wrote: »
    According to the op, bushes were planted 15 yrs ago with agreement of neighbour. It helps to read the thread.

And what has been the maintenance agreement in the past 15 years?

I did ask, but he OP has so far not said what agreement was made on maintenance when the hedge was planted.

It would be helpful to know.

• Advertisement

Our neighbour's hedge grows into our garden from time to time. If the neighbour is trimming his side he'll ask if we want this side cut. If not we just trim it ourselves and putting the clippings into our bin.

Fuss free.

Not exactly best friends with said neighbour either. Our conversations rarely go beyond a polite "How's it going?".

The fence between our houses was in need of being replaced over the summer, we asked if they'd go halves and they did.

Just basic communication and cordiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

the_syco wrote: »

My neighbour did this but unfortunately for his hedge he didn't quite measure and while some of its on the boundary line quite a bit of the hedge has been planted on my garden.

I can wait to let it grow a bit because I'll be gladly taking out anything that's on my property and it won't leave him with much when I'm done. But then he should have made sure he knew the law and not planted on my property.

This type of neighbour is like a dog p***ing on lampposts to mark out territory (except he does it to the neighbours property too), no concept of boundaries or of peoples own space.

He does it with parking too amongst other things, his feelings of inadequacy quite clear in his frustrated actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

My neighbour did this but unfortunately for his hedge he didn't quite measure and while some of its on the boundary line quite a bit of the hedge has been planted on my garden.

I can wait to let it grow a bit because I'll be gladly taking out anything that's on my property and it won't leave him with much when I'm done. But then he should have made sure he knew the law and not planted on my property.

This type of neighbour is like a dog p***ing on lampposts to mark out territory (except he does it to the neighbours property too), no concept of boundaries or of peoples own space.

He does it with parking too amongst other things, his feelings of inadequacy quite clear in his frustrated actions.

Disturbing. I hope he doesn’t have any pet bunny wabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Considering it’s planted there, I would take that as a given.
    Considering it is now partially in the neighbours garden it seems the OP has failed to keep to what was agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh, I'm not reading the last 4 pages. But my argument still stands.

They are are engaged in a "tit for tat" engagement, and they are the uncivilised neighbour who has grown bushes that are overtaking the neighbours garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Disturbing. I hope he doesn’t have any pet bunny wabbits.

No it's not disturbing, (I quite like the little furries though, they are better behaved than some folk) disturbing is planting a hedge in your neighbours garden just to be passive aggressive (which is exactly what my neighbour has done).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

Came across this thread and out of interest my wife and I had only been discussing our neighbours Griselinia last week,
    Saturday morning I hear them with a contractor cutting said hedge when door bell rings, It was the contractor apologising
    about when cutting the top and the trimmings had fallen in our side and did we mind he'd been on our property to collect,
    No bother I say, what about my side are you triming it? "Umm No" does he normally he asks?
    Well Yes I say its not my hedge !

In fairness he gave it a light trim and collected the trimmings even came back to ask was it ok, It was only OK, I would have cut it back more.

So it appears its my responsibility going forward, a mate will be out soon (landscaper), he suggested when frost sets in and I'm going to butcher the shiite out of it to my fence line. To be honest I'm not too impressed, we're just friendly neighbours hello etc etc. but I guess these hedge issues are a big problem all over.

As it happens good few houses in our cul de sac have them - We've red robin, and I've watched them trimming and they all take care of both sides of what they own

Advertisement