Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carers allowance application process

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

splinter65 wrote: »
    The means test is quite generous. Apart from SW payments a couple can have €665 per week and the claimant still get full Carers. It only starts going down the sliding scale at that point and a claimant can still get a small amount of Carers at nearly €800 income per week.
    There has to be a point at which your income deems you ineligible.
    I’m interested as to why you find that “ridiculous”?

Was just going to post this it’s a very generous means test and as above in order to be not eligible for any payment and be completely above indicates large weekly income coming in . As with every means test there is no wiggle room with this and rightly so . There is another payment called carers benefit which is awarded for up to 2 years on stamps paid etc if have had to take carers leave and have given up work to care for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

alibab wrote: »
    Was just going to post this it’s a very generous means test and as above in order to be not eligible for any payment and be completely above indicates large weekly income coming in . As with every means test there is no wiggle room with this and rightly so . There is another payment called carers benefit which is awarded for up to 2 years on stamps paid etc if have had to take carers leave and have given up work to care for someone.

Yeah I do get all that. Tbh, I was half expecting it. She didn't qualify for carers benefit by 4 weeks (returning from maternity leave, then had to care for her dad). I know it sounds like a hard luck story, particularly when we didn't pass means test but obviously she cannot claim job seekers or sick benefit and cannot work.
    I just find it hard to believe there's nothing available. It also makes a potential mortgage application a real headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

DeadParrot wrote: »
    Yeah I do get all that. Tbh, I was half expecting it. She didn't qualify for carers benefit by 4 weeks (returning from maternity leave, then had to care for her dad). I know it sounds like a hard luck story, particularly when we didn't pass means test but obviously she cannot claim job seekers or sick benefit and cannot work.
    I just find it hard to believe there's nothing available. It also makes a potential mortgage application a real headache.

The best thing for you guys is for someone else to take over the caring duties if you think you can’t manage without another income or that it’s going to stop you getting a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

DeadParrot wrote: »

No idea of your living conditions nor your father in laws health, but if you have a spare room, there are agencies out there that will help you get an Au pair for the elderly - so example would be you pay them 100/200 per week and if you give them bed and board, and they will care for your father in law - like do 35 hours a week or so.

You interview the girls (majority seem to be south American), and then pick one that works for you on a term that you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Ace2007 wrote: »
    No idea of your living conditions nor your father in laws health, but if you have a spare room, there are agencies out there that will help you get an Au pair for the elderly - so example would be you pay them 100/200 per week and if you give them bed and board, and they will care for your father in law - like do 35 hours a week or so.

You interview the girls (majority seem to be south American), and then pick one that works for you on a term that you choose.

Is that legit? It seems like a very small hourly rate for what is a very difficult job.

It's hard that your wife didn't qualify and seems to fall into the cracks where there is no monetary help. Make sure she connects with the Carer's Association just to make sure she hasn't exhausted all help, and to look into respite too.

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    Is that legit? It seems like a very small hourly rate for what is a very difficult job.

It's hard that your wife didn't qualify and seems to fall into the cracks where there is no monetary help. Make sure she connects with the Carer's Association just to make sure she hasn't exhausted all help, and to look into respite too.

But the individual is getting board and food.

Again no idea where Deadparrot lives, but if it's in Dublin, the cost of rent for a similar accommodation would be up to €800+ throw in food - maybe €200 a month - so that's €1000 a month, then say 150 a week = 600 a month - all in all 1600 a month for around 140 hours = €11.40 an hour - above min wage.

You say it's a difficult job - again we don't know the circumstances. Does your father in law have home help coming in DeadParrott? if he has, then the role/work of the Au Pair actually goes down, as the home help team will look after most of the personal work.

Just to note - it is legit - here are some of the sites that offer it. There's no real difference to having an Au Pair for a child,

https://www.aupairagencyteam.ie/hire-a-senior-aupair

Information about Au Pair for the elderly
    https://www.aupairireland.ie/blog/elderly-senior-au-pairs/957
    https://seniortimes.ie/au-pairing-caring/

Just one last thing - I don't work or have any connection to the companies, I have in the past interviewed girls for a carer role, most have been south American, with varying degrees of English - some great, some not so good. It's an option if you need extra help.

But the individual is getting board and food.

Again no idea where Deadparrot lives, but if it's in Dublin, the cost of rent for a similar accommodation would be up to €800+ throw in food - maybe €200 a month - so that's €1000 a month, then say 150 a week = 600 a month - all in all 1600 a month for around 140 hours = €11.40 an hour - above min wage.

You can't say they would be getting above min wage by including their accomodation and board (You don't know where they live or how much food will cost) I know au pairs get very little renumeration and that it's a cheap way to see the world but personally I feel minding children is worlds away from being a carer for somebody who needs what is effectively around the clock care which would be the case if you are seeking Carer's Allowance.

You can't say they would be getting above min wage by including their accomodation and board (You don't know where they live or how much food will cost) I know au pairs get very little renumeration and that it's a cheap way to see the world but personally I feel minding children is worlds away from being a carer for somebody who needs what is effectively around the clock care which would be the case if you are seeking Carer's Allowance.

Care's allowance and round the clock care are two different things. For instance you are allowed to work up to 15 hours a week on carers allowance - but how is that possible under your definition of carer allowance = round the clock care?

If he needs 24 hour care, then at a minimum he should have the home help which should be coming 3/4 times a day - they will look after his personal care, dressing/bathing/breakfast/dinner/medication etc. leaving the Au Pair to be more of a companion.

An Au Pair for the elderly may have set hours - so they work during the day, or during the night - they aren't a slave for you, as you seem to be implying by saying round the clock care.

How many Au Pair for children do you know that are earning min wage + getting accommodation + food?

Some simple math - living in Dublin - one bedroom in house + use of all facilities + food, that's min 1k a month. min wage 10er an hour? so 35*4*10 = 1400.

So all that is the equivalent of 2400 a month. There are tonnes of people in Dublin, earning way less than that, and have to get by, the idea that an Au Pair is getting screwed is far off the mark, If you believe that then you can pay them more a week for instance.

You seem to think it's easy for DeadParrott to get someone else to do the caring. You go to a home help company and you are looking at €25 per hour for help, and there is no guarantee that it will be the same person each time.

You look at nursing homes - could be looking at 5k+ a month, and that's if you can find one near you, and one that can meet his needs, Homes have 12/18 month waiting lists.

I think it's actually a disgrace that it's means tests in the first place.

Ireland has an aging population - there is a pension bomb waiting to go off, and after that comes, there then issue the issue to nursing homes and caring for people as they get even older.

I think you are taking this way off topic and no I never said anything about slave labour (although that is indicated in wages etc) nor did I intimate anything about it being easy to find other care (that's what you seem to be doing by pulling this spectacularly off topic!)

You can only work a maximum of 15 hours outside the home as a full-time carer and you must show that there is cover for when you aren't there. There are lots and lots (possibly more than 50 thousand) people in this country who are keeping their loved ones from state care by means of caring to their needs themselves with and without the carer's allowance. It's not easy, and it's not the job of an au pair - companionship yes but washing, clothing, lifting, perhaps dressing wounds etc, etc, is not nor ever will be the job of an au pair. Ridiculous.

There are lots and lots (possibly more than 50 thousand) people in this country who are keeping their loved ones from state care by means of caring to their needs themselves with and without the carer's allowance. It's not easy, and it's not the job of an au pair - companionship yes but washing, clothing, lifting, perhaps dressing wounds etc, etc, is not nor ever will be the job of an au pair. Ridiculous.

Your trying to make out I said something that I didn't.

Please show me where I said that it was the job of an Au Pair to do those jobs. I specifically said that if he needs 24 hour care, then he will have the home help package, and that they will look after all his personal needs.

An Au Pair can help out in other ways, depending on the needs of the individual, for example they can family members a break if needs be, they can bring people for walks.

Also just to add, someones daughter or son in law is probably equally qualified to do those tasks that you mentioned as say an Au Pair, so if the state isn't providing enough care, and for instance it's falling on DeadParrott to help out - why can't he pay an Au Pair to help out in situation - and pay them more if he feels bad about the situation?

If you read any of the reports about carers you will see that a large number end up depressed, or feel that there own lives are impacted because of the stress. Couple all this with possible looking after a young family, it's going to end up one way and it won't be good. So take on the Au Pair or even you want to pay €25 an hour to the agencies do that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

This is definitely not a job for an au pair Its a job for family members even if there were 2 or 3 to share the workload .

Yea a person on carers allowance is allowed to work 15 hours per week outside the home but they must ensure that there is someone to look after the patient while they are not there

We have done it ourselves for 3 years and I am talking about around the clock to the point of exaustion, we just couldn't let them go into a home and when the end came we were so happy that we did it..

lulu1 wrote: »
    This is definitely not a job for an au pair Its a job for family members even if there were 2 or 3 to share the workload .

Yea a person on carers allowance is allowed to work 15 hours per week outside the home but they must ensure that there is someone to look after the patient while they are not there

We have done it ourselves for 3 years and I am talking about around the clock to the point of exaustion, we just couldn't let them go into a home and when the end came we were so happy that we did it..

It’s not the thread for it but will just make a couple of comments.

1. It’s happening and these Au Pairs in many instances have experience with working with the elderly/their own grandparents in their own country and know what they are getting into - there are contracts and agencies involved to ensure there is no abuse or they can leave etc.

2. A family member may be less/equally qualified as an Au Pair, a family member may not want to do it but feel they have to because of other family members - why is it ok for an unqualified family member to do it but not an Au Pair who is willing to do it? I would really like this question to be answered? What happens if there is only 1 family member? It’s easy if there are 3/4 people. Everyone circumstances are different.

3. If it’s a job for family members only - do you say that home help shouldn’t be doing these roles either? Or is that ok because they come through a company and so assumed they are the right people to look after your loved one?

Looking after someone who needs full time care, is a exhausting, can lead to stress, depression, anxiety etc, I was merely pointing out ways to make it easier if people are at their wits ends, which many are.

You say that you did it for 3 years, could you have done it for 10 years? - would your other half/children been ok if your life was on hold for 10 years? What happens if you were looking for a mortgage - as per the OP that I replied to ? If you can’t get a mortgage because of the issue then it becomes and even bigger problem and can put pressure of marriages/finances.

It’s great that you did it for 3 years, but everyone’s life and situation is different - and all I did was put a option to help with.

Like I said it’s not that thread for it - but to attack me for point out options to help is out of line - who are you to state who should be looking after a person in their old age?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Hey folks, interesting conversation to follow but no a goer as we have an apartment for us, my daughter and Father in Law.
    We simply don't have the room for a carer.
    Will look into respite and stuff for the wife and hope something works out. Will also look into Home Support Services.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

It’s not the thread for it but will just make a couple of comments.

1. It’s happening and these Au Pairs in many instances have experience with working with the elderly/their own grandparents in their own country and know what they are getting into - there are contracts and agencies involved to ensure there is no abuse or they can leave etc.

2. A family member may be less/equally qualified as an Au Pair, a family member may not want to do it but feel they have to because of other family members - why is it ok for an unqualified family member to do it but not an Au Pair who is willing to do it? I would really like this question to be answered? What happens if there is only 1 family member? It’s easy if there are 3/4 people. Everyone circumstances are different.

3. If it’s a job for family members only - do you say that home help shouldn’t be doing these roles either? Or is that ok because they come through a company and so assumed they are the right people to look after your loved one?

Looking after someone who needs full time care, is a exhausting, can lead to stress, depression, anxiety etc, I was merely pointing out ways to make it easier if people are at their wits ends, which many are.

You say that you did it for 3 years, could you have done it for 10 years? - would your other half/children been ok if your life was on hold for 10 years? What happens if you were looking for a mortgage - as per the OP that I replied to ? If you can’t get a mortgage because of the issue then it becomes and even bigger problem and can put pressure of marriages/finances.

It’s great that you did it for 3 years, but everyone’s life and situation is different - and all I did was put a option to help with.

Like I said it’s not that thread for it - but to attack me for point out options to help is out of line - who are you to state who should be looking after a person in their old age?
    I dont know why you are saying i attacked you All I said was i dont think Au pairs were suitable for the job but that is my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shelle1234.

Hi guys. Sorry to jump on the thread. I have posted this separately but I never seem to get replies so not sure I'm posting it in the right place. For that reason I tagged it on to the end of the most recent post I could find ..this one. Apologies if I shouldn't have done that, if anyone could help it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks xx

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help please, my husband applied to be my carer. We got a letter in the post this morning letting us know it had been turned down on medical grounds, while I need help with some things I don't need constant help. Basically i suffer from sever refractory depression and generalised anxiety disorder. I've been on disability many years but over the years the condition has gotten worse and worse. My husband has been out of work for a year now looking after me and our two kids but we only applied for carers in May as I suppose we never thought things wouldn't get better...but they arent. The problem is that when my husband is around I don't cope very well to the point that while he was working I've had numerous suicide attempts. He does the majority of what is needed in the house but I feel the problem is because I can wash myself l, make a sandwich etc if I feel like it I'm not seen as a person in need but what about the part of the part of the requirement that states "or continual supervision in order to avoid being a danger to themselves"?? Does this not cover exactly what I'm talking about ?? If you think it does do you have any input into how I word the review I'm looking for based on this. I had originally provided gp reports and all information requested but had been honest and said that depression isn't always physical (although can cause many physical barriers, ie won't go out without my hudband. Can't take kids to school, interaction with parents and teachers etc. Don't always feel up to cooking, washing, cleaning, shopping etc) and I wonder if this is the problem.

Gosh basically I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how best to word and present the review given my condition ?? Would a letter from me explaining my needs helpt at all do you think ?? I realise I've given a fair bit of personal info but feel there is little point asking what I'm asking without a bit of background. I'm genuinely in such a state over this, haven't stopped crying all day and you can imagine where my head is at. Without the carers allowance we simply can't afford to live and I'm terrified my husband will need to go back to work. At the risk of sounding dramatic, I would be dead within six months. I just couldn't cope.

Many thanks in advance and please try not to be judgmental with me. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

go back to your gp or your consultant as you need to appeal and they need to help with that all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shelle1234.

Thanks for that kathleen37, I have been on to my go, psychiatrist and my local td in order to get help with review or appeal. I just wasn't sure how to word a letter from myself to put along with it. I think it's all being sorted and I've had some help now though. Thank you so much for your reply it's very much appreciated xx

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

When my son was 6 he was dx with ty1 diabetes and the hospital social worker sorted carers/dca/respite grant his 17 nearly 18 now but if its any help next hospital visit ask to speak to the social worker all id to do was sign my name!i got half rate carer's because of my husband's wages.hth

Reading back you can also get help for a spouse

Splinter65 may help with this.

He/she is in the social welfare forum. Can't link on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

splinter65 wrote: »
    Anything over €900 gross is too much.

Sorry to dig up an older thread but this is the relevant piece I want to query something before I get on the 6 months waiting list and splinter seems to know the score.

Let's say I'm bringing in gross €920/week roughly. I'm married and my wife has had to start caring for her mother recently and we have 2 small kids. From reading citizens information I read it that the means test amount would be (920-665)/2 =127.50

Carer's allowance + child = €219 + €36 = €255 p.w. less €127.50 means test income = €127.50 p.w. carers allowance.

Is that too crude a calc? Or am I missing something?

Advertisement