Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who leave their curtains open in the suburbs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

frosty123 wrote: »
    The Dutch do that all the time, lived in Holland for a spell...could write a book about what I saw everything from drug taking, yoga, domestic violence to a couple having sex, I kid you not

If you close your curtains in NL the neighbours would get suspicious, think that you are building a bomb or something.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I actually never copped that this was done deliberately to show off the house.

"Look on my works ye mighty and despair" doesn't exactly come to mine when you're looking at an unpainted concrete yoke.

I assumed it was pure laziness.

It might be laziness in some cases, but looking at some of the new MacMansions down home, a lot of them have hired landscaping but have (seemingly deliberately) avoided anything that obstructs the house.

Annoyingly, they're all built to the same paint-by-numbers design, so they're not even adding anything to the architecture of the area. Once you've seen one of these concrete & PVC piles, you've seen them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It might be laziness in some cases, but looking at some of the new MacMansions down home, a lot of them have hired landscaping but have (seemingly deliberately) avoided anything that obstructs the house.

Annoyingly, they're all built to the same paint-by-numbers design, so they're not even adding anything to the architecture of the area. Once you've seen one of these concrete & PVC piles, you've seen them all.

I would have assumed the “clearing” of the front area around the house was to provide the owners with a nice view of the countryside without, the downside being the general public getting a nice view of within.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Lived on an estate years ago. The boyfriend of the woman opposite used to “come home for lunch” and then proceed to have very enthusiastic and energetic (not to say athletic) sex with her in the front room; no blinds, curtains, net curtains or, as far as we could see, any other precautions.

We took to holding up the sort of scorecards you see on Olympic skating competitions or Dancing with the Staff programmes, which he could see as he scuttled (well, limped, mostly) back to work at 1.55pm. I think the highest score I ever gave was 9.5 - just couldn’t bring myself to give him a ten, even though it looked like he had “given her a ten”, on a couple of occasions*!

Maybe you could try this approach??

* no, I’m not jealous. Not jealous at all, OK??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lived on an estate years ago. The boyfriend of the woman opposite used to “come home for lunch” and then proceed to have very enthusiastic and energetic (not to say athletic) sex with her in the front room; no blinds, curtains, net curtains or, as far as we could see, any other precautions.

We took to holding up the sort of scorecards you see on Olympic skating competitions or Dancing with the Staff programmes, which he could see as he scuttled (well, limped, mostly) back to work at 1.55pm. I think the highest score I ever gave was 9.5 - just couldn’t bring myself to give him a ten, even though it looked like he had “given her a ten”, on a couple of occasions*!

Maybe you could try this approach??

* no, I’m not jealous. Not jealous at all, OK??

You’d give them 9.5 , after he’d give her , one.

I would have assumed the “clearing” of the front area around the house was to provide the owners with a nice view of the countryside without, the downside being the general public getting a nice view of within.

Yes, that's true. Also, building a house is expensive and landscaping is usually the last thing people can afford to think about.

I'm only referring here to a subset of people who do make a lovely effort with their gardens, but for some reason leave their place completely exposed to very unappealing regional roads. As complaints go, I realise this is only a minor issue, but some of these houses are a real blight on the landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

No one is on display, is there someone out there who pays rent or a mortgage but can't afford to buy cheap net curtains?
    I don't understand why someone would want anyone watching them in thier front room all the time,
    Please burglars look at my 4k 60 inch TV.
    I understand very large windows in kitchens, front rooms
    are in style at least according to any TV program
    like grand designs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

and you have no problem holding the camera in your left hand ? …………..
    Is it not too shaky ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The simplest explanation is usually correct, people have got used to living very close together and don't notice they are on view anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is a more serious aspect to this as well.

When my husband was working from home he was always conscious of closing the window even in the very hot weather we had, if he was having a meeting.

I have overheard what must be a confidential financial and legal issue being discussed by a neighbor who was working from home seemed to have forgotten they had the window open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

mariaalice wrote: »
    There is a more serious aspect to this as well.

When my husband was working from home he was always conscious of closing the window even in the very hot weather we had, if he was having a meeting.

I have overheard what must be a confidential financial and legal issue being discussed by a neighbor who was working from home seemed to have forgotten they had the window open.

It is a real issue. With some of the more ultra efficient buildings its really obligatory to open the windows all night long to prevent overheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most country houses have a wall or fence. Around em.
    The point about living in rural areas is very few people can see you unless you live close to a road.
    I know someone who lives in a house. The front driveway is about 500 yards long.
    A car might pass by maybe once every 20 minutes.
    Not everyone needs lots of bush's in front of the house.
    Every house is different in rural areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure that's nothing op, I've had couples riding, doing drugs, stripping and even die on the back of the bus......

2 junkies banging each other on Christmas Eve 2017 and many people including kids upstairs but it didn't stop them....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Has anyone tried that one way reflective film for windows? Would it look weird in a front room?
    Yes.

Depending on which way round you put it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

image.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement