Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ever hit a woman?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

tritium wrote: »
    If 40%+ of abuse victims are male I’m not really sure where you get the 1 in 5 from?

Many male abuse victims could have male abusers, think outside your box normie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

There was a time I would never have hit a woman, something I got from my mother.
    I have recently been corrected twice, I referred to a man's partner as his wife, I also mention lady driver insurance on the motors forum. I'm out of touch, I'm going to try harder to get with the program. In the highly unlikely event that I'm physically attacked by a vicious woman, I'll try to remember to treat her as I would a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Many male abuse victims could have male abusers, think outside your box normie ;)

Except the most violent groups for DV are actually lesbian relationships

I actually remember A few years back, one lady, representing a female DV support group, making the claim that male abuse victims were largely from homosexual relationships. My first thoughts were how many gay men does she think are out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I’d never start a physical assault on a woman, if she hit me 1st I’d try and restrain her, I’d use very minor physical force, I’m 6’2 and 22 stone.

If she made me mad enough to want to hit her I’d put my fist through a door or destroy a object before I’d raise a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No, never. Never ever

I worked with a guy a few years ago who’d regularly talk of situations where he “levelled” women, of course in his telling they “all deserved” it.

Same guy was from a particular background (not that it mattered) and had 4 kids by 4 diff mothers.

It put a bad taste in my mouth even thinking back to his Bs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

No but I would pay €100 to be let repeatedly headbutt Katie Hopkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Absolutely.
    If she hit me first I'd floor her.

No, never. Never ever

Silly. That's silly.

A woman could be stabbing you with a knife and you would just curl up into the fetal position???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I don’t agree with using violence to settle arguments or lashing out in temper for either genders, but as a woman I’d fully expect to get the same in return if I ever raised my hand to anyone, male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Self defense I would, no question. I’d probably make one attempt to diffuse the situation, walk away but if anyone would follow me with the intention of hurting me as in an ‘attack’ and doing me harm I’m going to protect and defend myself. I’m more loyal to myself and my family who have had to spend quite enough time at my hospital bed (months) over what one person did to me in this life so if somebody , a girl hit me, ok, but if I’m being attacked by them, I really have no qualms about fighting fire with fire, that goes for everyone though, regardless of gender.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Silly. That's silly.

A woman could be stabbing you with a knife and you would just curl up into the fetal position???

No, it's not remotely silly. Thankfully for me and my potential daughters in laws and granddaughters (I only have sons), there are still men who wouldn't consider hitting a women.

One of the first things my husband and I taught our boys was to never ever hit a girl or woman. This advice is as much for their sake as the woman's. We never advised them however, to curl up into a foetal position if physically attacked by a woman. We don't anticipate the knife attack. Statistics show that my sons are are potentially a much greater threat than any mad yoke with a knife (we haven't gone into disarmament tactics as they're both under ten, but they do know that they're probably strong enough to get out of physical danger without giving a slap).
    Some scary yet revealing posts here; Mr F is quite the poultice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Only if she was hysterical, and even then, an open handed slap or two across the face at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Only if she was hysterical, and even then, an open handed slap or two across the face at most.

Your username would suggest otherwise, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, it's not remotely silly. Thankfully for me and my potential daughters in laws and granddaughters (I only have sons), there are still men who wouldn't consider hitting a women.

One of the first things my husband and I taught our boys was to never ever hit a girl or woman. This advice is as much for their sake as the woman's. We never advised them however, to curl up into a foetal position if physically attacked by a woman. We don't anticipate the knife attack. Statistics show that my sons are are potentially a much greater threat than any mad yoke with a knife (we haven't gone into disarmament tactics as they're both under ten, but they do know that they're probably strong enough to get out of physical danger without giving a slap).
    Some scary yet revealing posts here; Mr F is quite the poultice.

‘Probably’ strong enough ? Probably is correct but if a girl comes at me with a knife, I’m not ‘probably’ defending myself, not ‘probably’ defending my life, I’m 100% doing whatever is necessary to enable me to walk away from that situation not injured and not dead. If somebody comes at you with a knife, which is a deadly weapon you need to presume they have intent to kill you with it. Therefore doing absolutely anything and everything in your physical power to protect your wellbeing and your life is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

In self defence? I'm a 5ft 4in guy who's 60kgs so there's little risk of me doing damage to the average woman who might try and attack me. Meanwhile, if you're 6ft, then that's a different story.

At the risk of being admonished here, a 60kg male is going to cause a lot of damage to any woman due to genetic make up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I have done and I'd do it again for self protection. I've no regrets about doing it.

Happened in 1994. She left me with 9 stitches above the ear after she thumped me with a fistful of rings. It was actually the remains of a fight during a football match that brewed up again that night outside a pub. Her boyfriend was the instigator, a mate and myself pulled him off someone else, she hit my mate with a bottle (20 stitches or so), then laid into me. **** her, it was about my own self preservation. No charges were ever pressed on her, Gardai just gave her a warning. She assaulted several other people on other occasions. Decent family and she has a decent job in the Civil Service as well, so it wasn't her upbringing that caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

It's an interesting question OP and ultimately, it comes down to what danger am I in and to be honest, I'd not consider gender.

Put simply, if I can restrain someone, man or woman, without receiving any harm and I choose to hit them instead, then I'm a dickhead.
    Now the chances are that I can restrain more women than men, so the odds of me hitting a woman are a lot less in comparison to hitting a man.

So would I ever hit a woman? I'd really like to think I would never have to, but I'd be foolish to say no. What if she has a hammer or a knife?

Plus, if someone does try to attack me, then they're a dickhead and if they do get hurt, well then, live by the sword...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Naos wrote: »
    Now the chances are that I can restrain more women than men, so the odds of me hitting a woman are a lot less in comparison to hitting a man.

Genetics mean men are significantly stronger than women, so without the use of weapons, the average man can do significant damage to the average woman.

Not so can the average woman do likewise to the average man

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

On 2 occasions in self defense while working in a nightclub, 1 had a knife, other used a broken glass bottle, both occasions because their respective boyfriends were getting thrown out for starting fights.

When put into that situation, I don't care who you are, what your gender/sex/race/religious/whatever else is, your getting your lights turned out if my life is in danger.

Strumms wrote: »
    ‘Probably’ strong enough ? Probably is correct but if a girl comes at me with a knife, I’m not ‘probably’ defending myself, not ‘probably’ defending my life, I’m 100% doing whatever is necessary to enable me to walk away from that situation not injured and not dead. If somebody comes at you with a knife, which is a deadly weapon you need to presume they have intent to kill you with it. Therefore doing absolutely anything and everything in your physical power to protect your wellbeing and your life is appropriate.

While I take your point, I have never once visualised a situation where I have to defend myself from a knife attack from anyone. I've had many boyfriends, and violence has never been a factor, either in my reality, or my imagination.

A vigorous defence of overpowering these knife-wielding women is slightly unsettling.

• Advertisement

Genetics mean men are significantly stronger than women, so without the use of weapons, the average man can do significant damage to the average woman.

Not so can the average woman do likewise to the average man

Yep I agree but that's why I'd take away gender and just think that someone hitting someone when they know they're not in danger is a bit of a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A woman no but it's getting so difficult to define these days as so many don't identify or are gender fluid.... Free game...

While I take your point, I have never once visualised a situation where I have to defend myself from a knife attack from anyone. I've had many boyfriends, and violence has never been a factor, either in my reality, or my imagination.

A vigorous defence of overpowering these knife-wielding women is slightly unsettling.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, so just to clarify:

Are you saying there is such a thing as vigorous defense or being too violent against someone who comes at you with a knife?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Karen deserves it though....

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, so just to clarify:

Are you saying there is such a thing as vigorous defense or being too violent against someone who comes at you with a knife?

It's ok, I may have been unclear. I meant a vigorous defence of the concept.

Of course a grown man must protect himself from the knife-wielding women out there.

It's ok, I may have been unclear. I meant a vigorous defence of the concept.

Of course a grown man must protect himself from the knife-wielding women out there.

Np thanks - so what's your position on this whole question then?

Say for example if a large & violent lady attacks a small fragile man. What shoudl the man do?

Say for example if a large & violent lady attacks a small fragile man. What shoudl the man do?

Offer her a bun.

Offer her a bun.

Good input.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnDough

Have you any examples of this happening

• Advertisement

Good input.

Indeed. You're talking about Jack Sprat, so I replied in the same spirit.

Advertisement