Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What do people think, will this season get completed?
    At the moment, I think the whole thing will collapse in another 2 or 3 weeks, and the season will be cancelled

I reckon they'll plow on through. Too much money at stake and Manfred hasn't handled anything well recently so I wouldn't have any faith in him pulling the plug if things do get worse.

I had to laugh at Manfred yesterday scolding the players like school children and threatening to shut it all down if they don't behave. I know the Marlin breakout was probably caused by players acting the b0ll0x but the league needed to take control of that situation much earlier and shut them down from playing.

As I'm typing, my Twitter feed is saying that 4 more Cardinals have tested positive so that double header today probably doesn't look likely.

The Cardinals are probably in the middle tier of teams when it comes to shutting down the league. The Marlins, no one cares about, The Cardinals, maybe there's an issue. Yankees, Dodgers or Cubs get a breakout, then the season's in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It seems the commissioner has told the leagues TV partners to be ready to find new content to fill their spots after this weekend if the league has to suspend. Now hopefully that's just a curtesy to them so if something does change they aren't left swinging in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think if there's another outbreak on another team this weekend (and it doesn't matter which team) they'll shut it all down.

Apparently Cespedes is MIA for today’s game.

Apparently Cespedes is MIA for today’s game.

Strange that announced it before they could confirm he is safe and not lying in a ditch somewhere. But yeah, typical Mets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Strange that announced it before they could confirm he is safe and not lying in a ditch somewhere. But yeah, typical Mets.

Mets have announced that they don't any concerns for Cespedes safety. So in others words he just didn't bother to show up.

ShyMets wrote: »
    Mets have announced that they don't any concerns for Cespedes safety. So in others words he just didn't bother to show up.

Being reported now that he's opted out of the 2020 season. Would have been nice if he had told someone though!

EDIT - Actually, knowing the Mets he probably did it all properly but the Mets messed up telling the right people and released that statement without checking

Being reported now that he's opted out of the 2020 season. Would have been nice if he had told someone though!

So long Cespedes. I'd like to say it was memorable but by and large it wasn't

ShyMets wrote: »
    So long Cespedes. I'd like to say it was memorable but by and large it wasn't

Ah, he was great in 2015. Wouldn't have got the the World Series without him. He deserves some sort of pass for that.

But yeah, the rest........

Ah, he was great in 2015. Wouldn't have got the the World Series without him. He deserves some sort of pass for that.

But yeah, the rest........

Fair point. I'll give him 2015

• Advertisement

I think if there's another outbreak on another team this weekend (and it doesn't matter which team) they'll shut it all down.

This doesn't look promising.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1290011283387895809

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Phillies fans congregating just outside the ballpark and disrupting Yankees at-bats. Amusing.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/06/yankee-finally-had-enough-of-phillies-fans-air-horns-drum-line/

Tonight's Cardinals game off as there has been another positive test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This is really funny!

Ee16d2gVoAIkRcC?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Tonight's Cardinals game off as there has been another positive test.
    And the series...I think they need to start thinking about having the offending teams forfeit games. How many double headers can they realistically play in the few weeks remaining?

Coeus wrote: »
    And the series...I think they need to start thinking about having the offending teams forfeit games. How many double headers can they realistically play in the few weeks remaining?

The Cardinals who have only played 5 games so far are off again Monday to Wednesday this week so by the time they play on Thursday (if that game goes ahead), the other teams will have played 18-20 games. There's no way they can make that many games up. Will it come down to winning percentages to decide playoff spots?

Marcus Stroman has opted out now.

Another BVW trade that has massively backfired. Basically 11 starts for 2 medium/high rated prospects. One of whom has already done pretty well for Toronto this season, albeit a small sample.

Marcus Stroman has opted out now.

Another BVW trade that has massively backfired. Basically 11 starts for 2 medium/high rated prospects. One of whom has already done pretty well for Toronto this season, albeit a small sample.

Another bites the dust. Cespedes was no great loss. But losing Storman is a disappointment. Fully fit he could have been very effective.

It will be interesting to see what can be pieced together now with the rotation

Cardinals-Tigers doubleheader on Thursday is now off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Time for the Cards to be dropped for this season. No real way they can make up their backlog unless they are going to play 7-inning double headers every day to the end of the season. Should be a 4-team NL Central Division.

Of course I say this as a Cubs fan!

Nice video of the transformation of the Buffalo site getting MLB ready.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1293245858708967424

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Time for the Cards to be dropped for this season. No real way they can make up their backlog unless they are going to play 7-inning double headers every day to the end of the season. Should be a 4-team NL Central Division.

Of course I say this as a Cubs fan!

It seems the most they're aiming for the Cardinals is 58 games. That's without any rain postponements or any more Covid outbreaks so probably a bit optimistic.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1294320440194871297

Dodgers look to be building some momentum at the moment which is great to see.

Definitely seems to be some interesting side plots so far this season.
    Mike Trout having Dad Power
    Red Sox having lost 10 in a row to the Yankees
    Fernando Tatis of the Padres looking like he might be the next big thing

Definitely a bit of fun in this abbreviated season

Dodgers look to be building some momentum at the moment which is great to see.

Definitely seems to be some interesting side plots so far this season.
    Mike Trout having Dad Power
    Red Sox having lost 10 in a row to the Yankees
    Fernando Tatis of the Padres looking like he might be the next big thing

Definitely a bit of fun in this abbreviated season

This made me laugh.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29685137/padres-fernando-tatis-jr-angers-rangers-late-grand-slam-rout

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's this kind sh1t in baseball that I find pathetic. Get the batter out and then you won't have to worry about him hitting a grand slam.

kmart6 wrote: »
    It's this kind sh1t in baseball that I find pathetic. Get the batter out and then you won't have to worry about him hitting a grand slam.

I agree, just get him out. I've always found the unwritten rules amusing. Grown men acting like teenagers.

I thought the SD manager kind of threw him under the bus too by saying he was "less than pleased" as it was his first game back at the Rangers where he was for 13 years since becoming SD manager.

This is also a great response from Jeff Passan

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1295737060570144768

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeah thought the SD manager was pathetic too, they no longer pay your wages so why look out for them. Your job is to win, who cares about how many over a team you used to be with.

Rangers still had 6 ABs to come after the inning so before the grand slam the 7 run lead wasn't that far out there that there was no chance of them making up the difference.

• Advertisement

Ah yes. The old unwritten rules. Which because they aren't written down, nobody is exactly sure what they are

Advertisement