Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

Grrrgh, my mlb.tv subscription isn't working
    It got autorenewed on Saturday night, but can't watch via the app on either my phone or tv.
    Spent almost an hour on webchat with someone from Google App Store, and they couldn't do anything except tell me that they can see my purchase.
    It's not listed under my subscriptions. Asked them to cancel, so I could try re-subscribing, but no luck.
    They gave me an email address for the mlb app. God knows how long I'm going to have to wait for a response

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

That Marlins Braves game was a cracking contest right up to when Alcantara exited

Woke up around 5:30 this morning when I heard my daughter cry.
    She stopped almost immediately. Rather than let this annoy me, I got to watch the last 4 innings of the Dodgers game.
    Just in time to see the big 6th inning.

This Dodgers team, definitely look like the best team I remember. The batters are so patient against pitchers. I always feel that they will break down any team over the course of a game. And the relief pitchers seem close to lights out.

Totally just jinxed it, as we're only 3 games into the playoffs, but feeling very confident at the moment. Lets see how Kershaw goes tonight

Fair play to the Astros. They're enjoying the villain role thoroughly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Looks like Marlins record of never losing a postseason series is going to be lost.

• Advertisement

Looks like Marlins record of never losing a postseason series is going to be lost.

Braves throwing 4 shut outs is very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The Padres must be gutted. Went all in this year but the Dodgers were just too good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ShyMets wrote: »
    The Padres must be gutted. Went all in this year but the Dodgers were just too good

That franchise has done this in the past, loaded up on talent, even got to the WS once vs. the Y*****s that way, then dumped the talent soon after as they got their new stadium approved. Not sure the ulterior motives for this season, but shows you that there's not necessarily a quick fix for years of mismanagement.

Igotadose wrote: »
    That franchise has done this in the past, loaded up on talent, even got to the WS once vs. the Y*****s that way, then dumped the talent soon after as they got their new stadium approved. Not sure the ulterior motives for this season, but shows you that there's not necessarily a quick fix for years of mismanagement.

Good point particularly with the Mets in mind. Cohen throwing only money at the team is not long term fix.

For me its more important to get the right people installed within the Organization, develop a long term strategy and then implement it.

While I expect an improvement with the Mets next year, I'm not dreaming of any Pennants just yet

Good point particularly with the Mets in mind. Cohen throwing only money at the team is not long term fix.

For me its more important to get the right people installed within the Organization, develop a long term strategy and then implement it.

While I expect an improvement with the Mets next year, I'm not dreaming of any Pennants just yet

When you see a franchise like the Braves, you get some appreciation for good management in baseball and what it can mean, painful as it is for me to say that. They're never out of contention for many years and back on top again this year.

Dodgers under McCourt were eventually in bad shape, sold the team and it took it a few years to shape up, but it is now. Great luck with the signings of the likes of Justin Turner (grrr....) certainly help. A long history of great pitching, sound familiar? Still want to get revenge for 1988.

• Advertisement

When you see a franchise like the Braves, you get some appreciation for good management in baseball and what it can mean, painful as it is for me to say that. They're never out of contention for many years and back on top again this year.

Dodgers under McCourt were eventually in bad shape, sold the team and it took it a few years to shape up, but it is now. Great luck with the signings of the likes of Justin Turner (grrr....) certainly help. A long history of great pitching, sound familiar? Still want to get revenge for 1988.

McCourt gets a worse rep than he deserved. Remember, he was responsible for bringing Mannywood to LA. Then him and the wife divorced, and everything got messy. Definitely in better shape since he sold them though.
    The guys who came in, have done everything right. Took on Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford in order to get Adrian Gonzalez (sp?) immediately. But the biggest changes were in the office jobs. Brought in Friedman from Tampa Bay, and a guy from Oakland whos moved onto SF since. Both huge supporters of analytical baseball. Dave Roberts came along with the same mindset too. Great having all the backroom staff believing in the same approach.

As for Turner, it seemed lucky, but then did the same thing with Max Muncy and Chris Taylor, and some pitchers. Soon becomes more than luck.

Anyway, still need to win it all, or it has been for nothing.
    Looking forward to the Braves series. Starts on Monday, so again, no weekend games for me to watch :(

Oh yeah, been wanting the Rays to beat the Yankees all series, but there is something to be said for a Yankees vs Astros ALCS. So many fans would have serious issues deciding on who to support

The Braves V Dodgers looks like a very tasty series. No time scheduled yet but I imagine it will be midnight GMT. So I guess it will be the highlights next morning on MLB TV for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Anyone else hoping for a Yankees vs Dodgers WS, for obvious reasons? :D Has there ever been one in fact, since they left Brooklyn?

Being a Mets fan I don't want to see the Yankees anywhere near a WS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Being a Mets fan I don't want to see the Yankees anywhere near a WS

Oh I don't mind so long as they're beat. And the Dodgers are well able to do that. I'm a Blue Jays fan btw.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Anyone else hoping for a Yankees vs Dodgers WS, for obvious reasons? :D Has there ever been one in fact, since they left Brooklyn?

At least one, 1980, Bob Welch Dodgers, Reggie Jackson et al on the Yankees. Dick Howser v. Tommy Lasorda as managers.

I remember this because 1980 was personally not a great year, and a relative telling me 'you've nothing to worry about compared to Howser and Lasorda!'

You have to remember their 2 best pitchers were carrying injuries into the postseason. In a best of 5 series that's a killer.

RIP Joe Morgan. Wow. Seaver, Gibson, Morgan, Lou Brock, the greats of the 60's and '70s are leaving us. Whitey Ford, too though he was earlier.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30100016/baseball-hall-famer-joe-morgan-dies-77

Booooo Braves.
    Hoping the lack of off days will help the Dodgers. Need a win tonight behind Kershaw.
    Worst thing about play-off baseball is the time of the games. Has a serious impact on my sleep every year. Must have woken 3 or 4 times last night to check the score on my phone :(

Booooo Braves.
    Hoping the lack of off days will help the Dodgers. Need a win tonight behind Kershaw.
    Worst thing about play-off baseball is the time of the games. Has a serious impact on my sleep every year. Must have woken 3 or 4 times last night to check the score on my phone :(

In some ways its a nice complaint to have. At least you still have a dog in the fight

• Advertisement

Booooo Braves.

No Kershaw tonight. Back spasms. Gonsolin to replace him. https://nypost.com/2020/10/13/clayton-kershaw-scratched-from-nlcs-game-2-in-big-dodgers-blow/

I'm ok with that Goslin is good. No matter who was on the mound for the Dodgers tonight, we need to score runs. If there are <4 runs scored in this games, I'm giving the edge to the Braves

First pitch is just after 11 tonight. Will hopefully catch the first hour. Tomorrow is my morning to get up with our baby :(

I'm ok with that Goslin is good. No matter who was on the mound for the Dodgers tonight, we need to score runs. If there are <4 runs scored in this games, I'm giving the edge to the Braves

First pitch is just after 11 tonight. Will hopefully catch the first hour. Tomorrow is my morning to get up with our baby :(

I remember when the Mets went on their run in 2015. My Daughter was about a year old. I use to volunteer to take the night feeds so I could watch some of the Mets games.

My partner was convinced I was having an affair. Took a while to convince her I was watching baseballðŸ˜.

Really enjoying the ALCS/NLCS so far. It would be nice to get a World Series without one of the Astros and Dodgers involved.

Really enjoying the ALCS/NLCS so far. It would be nice to get a World Series without one of the Astros and Dodgers involved.

Could Tampa Bay become the new Boston?
    They've already won the Ice Hockey this season, and have Brady in the NFL

Could Tampa Bay become the new Boston?
    They've already won the Ice Hockey this season, and have Brady in the NFL

Tampa won the NHL! Climate change really is wreaking havoc:)

Good start for the Dodgers.
    Still in the top of the first, and Braves are on their second pitcher, and Betts is batting for the second time

Wow 11-0 after half an inning.
    Need a 1 2 3 bottom half of the inning, and I can go to bed somewhat comfortable

Dodgers hanging on by a thread. Unfortunately for them Kershaw had a shaky performance.

Not looking good for them

Nope not looking good at all.
    Might be closing this thread tonight :P

I'm optimistic that we can win tonight behind May. Then should have Walker Buehler tomorrow.
    Definitely need everything to go right. Gotta treat it like the Red Sox in 04 and 07, and just make sure that we win the next game. Luckily Dave Roberts was heavily involved then

Realistic opinion - Braves win tonight
    Hopeful opinion - Dodgers in 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Have been following the postseason on and off ,after the rout Wednesday night i thought the dodgers might take off especially with Kershaw going last night but give credit to Atlanta . Surely if the Dodgers are beaten here its the end of the line for Roberts ? . Hoping the Rays and Braves get it done tonight would make for an interesting world series .

Advertisement