Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free digital magazines

Options
  • 12-06-2016 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Just found out if you're a member of your local library you can download this app called zinio libraries and you have access to heaps of digital magazines like chat, best, ok there's a couple of hundred in all sorts of categories. They are current magazines and they are updated as each new issue is released. All you need is your library number to sign up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Can't find it.

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photochain

Hey I can't post the link as I haven't posted enough times on boards, but if you type in zinio for libraries into the app/play store it should come up for you.

That's what I did - nothing

I am using iOS

Are you using Google / Amazon?

Sorry, found it

Link:

Zinio for Libraries by Zinio LLC

https://appsto.re/ie/-KqX4.i

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photochain

I'm using iPhone and my husband is using android phone maybe when someone else is online and sees this they could be kind enough to post a link.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

It's a great offer, did the rounds on here a few months ago. If you aren't a member of your local library (why not!?) you could try and use this link to join online

https://lgma.iii.com/selfreg

Here's link to android app

[url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zinio.mobile.android.libraries[/url]

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Heres a link to the landing page that shows the lists all the magazines available, and the links to the various apps is on the bottom right of the page: https://www.rbdigital.com/lgma/service/zinio/landing

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

This is such an AMAZING service!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

It's brilliant. Been using it for about a year and has loads of car magazines. Great if you have a large tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

If you're not a member of a library you can register here: lgma.iii.com/selfreg

Then register for the zinio service using your temp library card number: rbdigital.com/lgma/service/zinio/landing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Handy find thanks op.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Works perfect.
    Thanks op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Google borrowbox and your local library. You should be able to login with your library username and password.

You then install Adobe Digital Editions. You can borrow ebooks and copy them to your ereader. Pretty decent selection too! You will need an ereader which can handle epub files so not a Kindle. You can borrow/reserve up to 5 ebooks and 5 audiobooks. You can borrow books for 20 days.

This is the link to Dublin City Library which I use.

I have no idea if all libraries have signed up to this. Maybe others can report back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Thanks a lot guys, all setup and working.

I will try Google borrowbox next.

Plenty to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Great spot OP, never knew about this. Toilet time will never be the same again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cembellines

This is great thanks. I wonder if the magazine catalogue is different depending on your local library you choose when creating your account...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

This is great thanks. I wonder if the magazine catalogue is different depending on your local library you choose when creating your account...

I wonder the same myself! If that were the case it'd probo be wise to create an account with any Dublin library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Think it's all the same now, my library used to have limited number of magazines, but now has over a hundred and there's no mention of my local library at all in sign in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

best bargain in a while op thanks! will replace my two current subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

NikoTopps wrote: »
    I wonder the same myself! If that were the case it'd probo be wise to create an account with any Dublin library.

Been using this service for years, it's great. South Dublin Libraries have a huge selection however Dun Laoghaire Rathdown which my mum uses is more limited. Would says it's something to do with what subscriptions they pay yearly to Zinio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Brilliant! Thanks OP

Wonder will this work in Finland with a Finnish library number or is it just restricted to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Sorry guys... I am lost!!!!

I registered online and have an Irish library card as per previous link.

Now what is next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

All the libraries have the same content since around March. Anyone with an old account got an email announcing the changeover at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,026 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Masala wrote: »
    Sorry guys... I am lost!!!!

I registered online and have an Irish library card as per previous link.

Now what is next step.

create an account on this website
    https://www.rbdigital.com/lgma/service/zinio/landing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Thanks man.... Sorted. Wow so much to select from.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

JakeBell wrote: »
    If you're not a member of a library you can register here: lgma.iii.com/selfreg

Then register for the zinio service using your temp library card number: rbdigital.com/lgma/service/zinio/landing

lgma.iii.com/selfreg only issues a temporary library card number and requires a visit to local library.

rbdigital.com/lgma/service/zinio/landing accepted the card number above but I wonder if it will be revoked in the future if I don't bother going to Dublin City library.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Its worth going through them alphabetically page by page instead of by genre.

For instance I just discovered now that Playstation, Xbox and RasPI magazine are on there by going through each page alphabetically. The first 2 are missing from the Games Genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Poochie05

It's a fantastic service, they have National Geographic, photography and computing mags and loads of the women's periodicals. Saves a fortune as most of those are just adverts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I used to subscribe to Total Film on Zinio. I had it for a good price (€17 annual sub), but they nearly tripled the price this year, so I cancelled. Now I get it for free!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    I used to subscribe to Total Film on Zinio. I had it for a good price (€17 annual sub), but they nearly tripled the price this year, so I cancelled. Now I get it for free!!!

I had 4 paid subs with Zinio until recently as I found I wasn't really getting the value from it.

To my delight all 4 are included in the free service!

Advertisement