Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free digital magazines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Think I just found the reason I needed to get a new 10inch tablet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

photochain wrote: »
    Just found out if you're a member of your local library you can download this app called zinio libraries and you have access to heaps of digital magazines like chat, best, ok there's a couple of hundred in all sorts of categories. They are current magazines and they are updated as each new issue is released. All you need is your library number to sign up.
    Have it ages,and its brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Finally, popped down to the library to set up an account.

I can't believe that this is free.

What a great app.

I was just about to subscribe to BBC Focus for the year. You've saved me a wad of cash.

Thanks OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Great bargain alert.

I've now got
    - Android Magazine
    - Focus (BBC Science mag)
    - Computer Shopper
    - How it works
    - Linux Format
    - New Scientist
    - PC Pro
    - PCWorld
    - Popular Science
    - RasPi
    - Wired

Definitely a must have for anyone commuting on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Oh wow this is awesome now, I remember looking at this before but the selection was pretty poor. I wouldn't argue with anything for free but being able to get Economist, New Yorker, Empire, Philosophy Now etc whenever I want is incredible value. I like checking in on the tech mags too so Linux Format & Wired being there is great.

Thanks for this tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Thank you so much OP best BA in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Amazing find!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

It's a great offer, did the rounds on here a few months ago. If you aren't a member of your local library (why not!?) you could try and use this link to join online

https://lgma.iii.com/selfreg

Here's link to android app

[url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zinio.mobile.android.libraries[/url]

Registered on https://lgma.iii.com/selfreg and downloaded the app but don't see any content. Do I have to go to the local library first?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Doge

soirish wrote: »
    Registered on https://lgma.iii.com/selfreg and downloaded the app but don't see any content. Do I have to go to the local library first?

You need to hit "checkout magazines" in the app and it will take you to the list of them in your browser, and it logs you in automatically i think.

Thats on iOS, might be slightly different on android.

To do it manually you can just use this link and log in:

https://www.rbdigital.com/lgma/service/zinio/landing

You then add each magazine you want by hitting the icon with the book with a plus on it under each pic of each mag.

Then go to settings in the app and hit refresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Cheers op great bargain.
    As someone else said there is much more content now than the last time this came up in bargain alerts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Doge wrote: »
    You need to hit "checkout magazines" in the app and it will take you to the list of them in your browser, and it logs you in automatically i think.

Thats on iOS, might be slightly different on android.

To do it manually you can just use this link and log in:

https://www.rbdigital.com/lgma/service/zinio/landing

You then add each magazine you want by hitting the icon with the book with a plus on it under each pic of each mag.

Then go to settings in the app and hit refresh.

This site can’t be reached

www.rbdigital.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

This site can’t be reached

www.rbdigital.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

It's working fine for me, maybe give it a go again?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

is this only an iphone app?
    Or is there an android version

I am library member, do i have to go into library to sign up or can i do it online? Would be easier to do online.

I looked at p.1. Have nearly all the info. I will go into library.

is this only an iphone app?
    Or is there an android version

I am library member, do i have to go into library to sign up or can i do it online? Would be easier to do online.

iOS, Android, Kindle and PC all supported.
    Use number on the back of your library card to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

There is alot more magazine titles added to zinio now. It is a great service by libraries.
    Fair play to the libraries for providing the service.
    This type of useage is the future of our local library services.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Brilliant find OP, that's my holiday reading sorted out for ever more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Anyone having problems on enlarging your reading page?? Any time I try yo zoom in to enlarge the article.... I get bounced out with 'problem with this page etc....'

Anyone else having same problems???

Ps using IPad to download and read the Magazine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Kat1170 wrote: »
    iOS, Android, Kindle and PC all supported.
    Use number on the back of your library card to sign up.

Kindle, as in the eReaders? Haven't been able to find anything to link my Kindle touch to this.

Kindle, as in the eReaders? Haven't been able to find anything to link my Kindle touch to this.

From the list HERE

READ NOW:
    PC, Mac & Mobile

GET THE NEW APP to read offline:
    iPad| iPhone| Android| Kindle HD/HDX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Best BA of the year so far. Amazing selection of magazines. Like mentioned earlier, the time has come to buy a 10-12" tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

can we read these magazines off line howd you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Has anyone else had problems getting the mobile app to work on an iPhone 6s? It will recognise if my password is incorrect, but when the correct password is used it just freezes up and won't log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

brilliant. thanks a million op.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

can we read these magazines off line howd you do this?

If you have the app on any Android or iOS device it will download the files to your device when you open it and will be available offline then. Not sure about on computers.

If you have the app on any Android or iOS device it will download the files to your device when you open it and will be available offline then. Not sure about on computers.

You have to download them manually, theres a cloud symbol with an arrow pointing down that needs to be tapped for them to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

+1 a big thank you to the OP for putting up details of that library service. I was able to access the list of magazines and install the Zinio Libraries app. Lots of great publications on offer.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

In a similar vein, it's also worth checking out https://issuu.com/

They also have an app available for android and Apple

It's possible to download many of the magazines in pdf format for offline reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

For the zinio app, if I check out one magazine, does that get me access to the back catalog as well? or do I need to check out each issue I'm interested in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Nforce wrote: »
    In a similar vein, it's also worth checking out https://issuu.com/

They also have an app available for android and Apple

It's possible to download many of the magazines in pdf format for offline reading.

Is this free?

Advertisement