Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free digital magazines

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is this free?

Seems to be... had a skim through it last night and there's lots of stuff to choose from anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Is this free?

Yes

There are optional pay plans too https://issuu.com/home/services?r=pricing302

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

hypothetically speaking, if someone not residing in ireland wanted to register for this, would it be possible?? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

hypothetically speaking, if someone not residing in ireland wanted to register for this, would it be possible?? :o

Follow the instructions on post #11 and you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Very rarely would I "treat" myself to a copy of Stuff, a gadget magazine. Quite pricey in the newsagents at about €7.

Lo and behold it's here as well as Wired and lots more.

Great find OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

boobar wrote: »
    Very rarely would I "treat" myself to a copy of Stuff, a gadget magazine. Quite pricey in the newsagents at about €7.

Lo and behold it's here as well as Wired and lots more.

Great find OP!

I'm the same with magazines like Uncut and Focus, both available on this! Plus lots of other stuff i'd be interested in reading but would never spend 7+ euro on. Lots of stuff for the OH too.
    Just got a tablet for the first time so loving this, Cheers OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is great btw, my all time favourite BA - I have even bought a tablet just to enjoy the reading experience more. It is the first time I have ever found a tablet useful.

Just wondering if anyone else is now having a problem with the economist. The Irish library used to subscribe to the UK and International edition, but now they just sub to the UK one, and it seems that unless you're quick on the trigger it is always checked out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just for anyone new to this - the Zinio for Libraries app has been replaced by a new app called RB Digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sorry to drag up an old (but a fantastic) thread - has anyone managed to get this working on Windows 10 via the RB Digital app or otherwise?

I've been using this on Android with Zinio and then RB Digital for years but recently got a Surface Pro. When travelling, I like having the Surface Pro with me (due to the full keyboard and MS Office mainly) but find myself still bringing an Android tablet just so I can read magazines.

Any way that I could get rid of the tablet and use the magazines on the Surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sorry to drag up an old (but a fantastic) thread - has anyone managed to get this working on Windows 10 via the RB Digital app or otherwise?

I've been using this on Android with Zinio and then RB Digital for years but recently got a Surface Pro. When travelling, I like having the Surface Pro with me (due to the full keyboard and MS Office mainly) but find myself still bringing an Android tablet just so I can read magazines.

Any way that I could get rid of the tablet and use the magazines on the Surface?

Have you tried it through a browser i.e. not app based?
    On an older version of windows, full laptop, but I have used Chrome for reading New Scientist. I find it reads better if you select the 'text' option from left hand menu once magazine opens.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Have you tried it through a browser i.e. not app based?
    On an older version of windows, full laptop, but I have used Chrome for reading New Scientist. I find it reads better if you select the 'text' option from left hand menu once magazine opens.

Thanks - gave that a try but just doesn't seem to offer same functionality in terms of showing what is downloaded and offline reading as the Android app would. Guess I'll have to stick to bringing the two devices for now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What's the deal with this. Any time I try to checkout a book it says all copies have been checked out.

Edit
    Talking about rb digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Book? Do you mean magazine? I checked out one this morning and it worked fine. Which one are you trying to check out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

RB Digital is magazine only?

I don't use it (yet) but there is another application called borrow box which you can use if you are downloading books, but there are limits on the number of books checked out. You can reserve as far as I know, so when the book becomes available you will get a notification.

this is the link to the libraries ireland online resources page which lists all the resources available - newspapers, magazines, books, online e-learning, online language learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Thanks - gave that a try but just doesn't seem to offer same functionality in terms of showing what is downloaded and offline reading as the Android app would. Guess I'll have to stick to bringing the two devices for now

You could try installing Bluestacks on your Surface Pro, this runs a virtual Android emulator and you could install the RB app there and use that for reading?

What's the deal with this. Any time I try to checkout a book it says all copies have been checked out.

Edit
    Talking about rb digital.

Sometimes the Economist is all checked out. I've had that problem before, I emailed the Irish Library service and they increased their subscription to it! Fair play to them, I realise a significant chunk of tax goes into the Library, but this is a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Cheers guys.
    It just wasn't working right last night. All good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

errlloyd wrote: »
    Sometimes the Economist is all checked out. I've had that problem before, I emailed the Irish Library service and they increased their subscription to it! Fair play to them, I realise a significant chunk of tax goes into the Library, but this is a great service.
    The Economist is a lefty joke.Amazed anyone bothers with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

This is awesome. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

errlloyd wrote: »

Which email did you send the request to? I emailed the other day about getting N-Photo magazine added but didn't hear anything back yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Apologies for digging up an old thread but I see that Dublin City Library members can download Comics now (not too sure about other libraries), seems like a decent selection from Marvel.

You have to register with your Dublin City Library card number, create a new account here.

After setting up your account, you will now have two options when logging into RB Digital. One for LGMA which is for the magazines and the other one I have is Dublin Corporation Libraries for comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

This is such a great service. I love it! It's also great how easy it is to borrow new (and old) books from the library. Tax Payers money well spent.

This is such a great service. I love it! It's also great how easy it is to borrow new (and old) books from the library. Tax Payers money well spent.

What service are you using for books actually?

Anyone know do they publish a list of what their active subscriptions are?

It seems they didn't renew The Atlantic. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

RB Digital who run the app are on Twitter, you could ask them...

Advertisement