Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to sub 3:25 and beyond... ?!

Options
  • 13-05-2021 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Long time lurker and beginning to get more active on the running forum again.

Was quite active here with others as part of the DCM Novices thread in 2019, and followed a basic plan that got me over the line in 4:13:xx . My initial aim was to get under the 4:30 mark so was delighted.

A couple of months of fluttering around with maintenance runs - 5km/10kms here and there, I signed up in early 2020 for Galway Marathon in October 2020.

In May 2020 I got myself a coach to get myself set up for the sub 4hr journey. Galway got cancelled so did a virtual and ran 3:35, then the Dublin virtual 3 weeks later in 3:31!

Between now and then, I've PB's ​in all distances, but the marathon is my favourite by far.

Galway was due to be on last Saturday, 8th of May but it was postponed til October again! I ran my own marathon anyway, after continuing the training and came in at 3:28:41. Delighted !

My goals at the moment is to get back into a 16 week marathon plan in June for the Galway marathon on the 3rd October this year (fingers crossed! If it doesn't go ahead I'll do a virtual/look for another marathon around that time to aim for a sub 3:25

Hoping to get a few TTs in training sessions also. Few other aims this year:

Sub 90 HM - Current 90:xx
    Sub 40 10km - current 41:00
    Sub 19 5km - current 19:11

Hit the sub 70 10M already and that was part of my goal so I'm quite happy with that. Might give it another bash during a HM TT.

Only getting around to joining the local athletic club this week too - will be nice to get to run with others as 95% of my runs are solo.

I would love to connect on Strava with ye lot here, don't be shy please :)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/15324146

Making this log to be more accountable for training and hopefully link up with some boardsies in the future! Currently doing maintenance and recovering from the weekends marathon, planning on keeping this updated at the end of every week :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Welcome to the logs, you inhabit a part of Ireland I know very well. Best of luck with the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

OOnegative wrote: »
    Welcome to the logs, you inhabit a part of Ireland I know very well. Best of luck with the goals.

Thanks very much :) Really lucky to have really nice routes fairly close by!

rizzee wrote: »
    Thanks very much :) Really lucky to have really nice routes fairly close by!

You have arguably the fastest 10k route in Ireland on your doorstep!!

You have arguably the fastest 10k route in Ireland on your doorstep!!

No excuses for a sub 40 so :D
    The local race in 2019 (after an all night session!) , DCM 19 and X2 5km staff relay races are all I've done.

Everything else is virtual/TTs. Madness!!

I believe this year's local 10km race will be virtual. I will have to ask the coach can I give the 10km TT a blast on the day if it doesn't interfere with training - we will see!!

Yeah the Braveheart in Trim(my club) is virtual to, shame to see great Meath races going virtual again but hopefully 2022 will be all guns blazing. Your coach is a great man.

• Advertisement

Yeah the Braveheart in Trim(my club) is virtual to, shame to see great Meath races going virtual again but hopefully 2022 will be all guns blazing. Your coach is a great man.

Ah, didn't realise you knew him. He's a top bloke (maybe I'm a little biased haha). The Trim 10M is a very popular race!

I only really caught the running bug proper within the last year or so, DCM19 being a marathon as a "life" goal. Now with races open towards the end of this year and into next year I'm really looking forward to it - in particular the travelling aspect, it's like the journey has only started :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Welcome to logs! Well done on your recent marathon :) Good mileage done so far this year and some good numbers to improve. Great that you see it as a journey and will be interested to see how you go.

Welcome to logs! Well done on your recent marathon :) Good mileage done so far this year and some good numbers to improve. Great that you see it as a journey and will be interested to see how you go.

Thanks a million!! Appreciate it :) Good to connect on Strava too! Let's see how it goes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck with your log & your goals! You have made great improvements with your consistent training. Hopefully you will get to run a real marathon this year :)

Best of luck with your log & your goals! You have made great improvements with your consistent training. Hopefully you will get to run a real marathon this year :)

Thanks E! Fingers crossed :D Have you any races planned yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Welcome and best of luck! Judging by your times in Strava I think we are at a very similar level for the shorter distances. I look forward to seeing your progress in the marathon :).

token56 wrote: »
    Welcome and best of luck! Judging by your times in Strava I think we are at a very similar level for the shorter distances. I look forward to seeing your progress in the marathon :).

Thanks for message & connection :) I need to join you in the sub 19 club! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Welcome to the thread and Happy Logging!

PS. I think ya need to adjust your thread title! You'll easily go sub 3:25 in an actual race after doing a 3:28 as a solo effort.

Welcome to the thread and Happy Logging!

PS. I think ya need to adjust your thread title! You'll easily go sub 3:25 in an actual race after doing a 3:28 as a solo effort.

Thanks CBG - Fingers crossed!! I forget what a race is at this stage, will be great to soak up the atmosphere and get that extra push on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks E! Fingers crossed :D Have you any races planned yourself?

Yeah I have DCM deferred from last year so really hoping that gets the go ahead, Manchester booked incase it doesn't! Also have the Antrim half booked in August, can't wait to race again!

Doing a TT next weekend hoping to finally go sub 20!! We'll see how that goes :D

Yeah I have DCM deferred from last year so really hoping that gets the go ahead, Manchester booked incase it doesn't! Also have the Antrim half booked in August, can't wait to race again!

Doing a TT next weekend hoping to finally go sub 20!! We'll see how that goes :D

Ah that's brilliant!! I'm sure you'll smash it! I've kept an eye on your new training programme too, very interesting :)

Get the carbon plates on - no bother to you, it's not cheating, honest!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of luck with it all. As CBG said you are probably being a bit conservative with your targets but just consider them as stepping stones. There is plenty of evidence on these logs to show what consistent training and a good attitude can do for all ye young lads ;)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it all. As CBG said you are probably being a bit conservative with your targets but just consider them as stepping stones. There is plenty of evidence on these logs to show what consistent training and a good attitude can do for all ye young lads ;)

That's it exactly! Take it one step at a time - focus on getting the training in and the results will follow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Good to see you logging. The novices from DCM2019 have kept me up to date on your progress over the last couple of years. We've all been impressed with the rapid improvement

Treviso wrote: »
    Good to see you logging. The novices from DCM2019 have kept me up to date on your progress over the last couple of years. We've all been impressed with the rapid improvement

Thanks T - managed to find you on Strava earlier! Reading your Q&A thread at the moment.

I still have to find logs from the folks from DCM19 here, hopefully they are still around, a great bunch of people here full of support in the Novice thread back then :D

Will give a mini update on this week tomorrow/Sunday (rest day) then get back into a couple of sessions from Monday.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update from this week:

Did a couple of easy walks early in the week to get back into the swing of things after last weekend marathon.

Wore calf sleeves during the week too, made a huge difference. Definitely one to remember when recovering from long runs. Stocked up on the supplements from H&B to get me through the next phase of training too.

Wednesday - 4km easy loosener + 6km walk

Thursday - 5km moderate AVG 4:24/km

Friday - 6km : 3km <4:30/km pace & 3km @ <5:00/km pace

Saturday - 10km easy 50mins

Felt really good to get back it. Looking forward to building it back up in the last 2 weeks of May before the 16/17 week marathon block training begins (might even be an 18 week block if the coach gets me started the last week of the month)

Oh, another question I've been asked - my Strava Activities names and they're meaning:

e.g yesterday run was #107(12.9)

#107 - 107th run of the year

12 - My 12th month with the coach

.XX The session number I am on within the current month.

May seem complicated but it's just a little routine I'm in the last year now so I don't think it's going to change! Handy for keeping count too.

I only work in KMs too so that may annoy some of ye! :D:D

Quick update on this week

Monday
    8km @ avg 4:35/km

Tuesday
    8km @ avg 4:40/km

Wednesday
    Rest / 2 x walks (10km) & quick S&C session

Thursday
    10km @ avg 4:55/km

Friday
    6km @ avg 4:50/km & physio loosener

Saturday
    10km @ avg 5:05/km

Weekly total
    42km

Looking forward to increasing this, probably 50-60 km next week and getting back to sessions in addition to easy runs.

Also bought a pair of Endorphin Speeds so looking forward to giving them a blast when they arrive!

Where did ya buy the speeds out of interest? They are on my wish list!

Where did ya buy the speeds out of interest? They are on my wish list!

It was actually an impulse buy on Adverts, saw them in my size while browsing and got them for €85 including delivery, so saving roughly €100 from the RRP! I've heard nothing but positive reviews from them so really looking forward to getting out and seeing what the fuss is :D

It was actually an impulse buy on Adverts, saw them in my size while browsing and got them for €85 including delivery, so saving roughly €100 from the RRP! I've heard nothing but positive reviews from them so really looking forward to getting out and seeing what the fuss is :D

85 quid :eek:

Haven't been on adverts in ages as I usually end up down some kind of wormhole that has no relation to my original search but must check it out!!

Decent week increasing the mileage gradually.

Monday
    5km @ <4:50/km
    10 x 100m sprints
    3.5km Walk

Tuesday
    5km @ <4:35km & 5km easy

Wednesday
    3km WU
    5KM Progressive run (4:27 to 4:04 range)
    2km CD

First run in the Endo Speeds. Really nice shoe!

Thursday
    10km easy (49mins avg 4:50ish/km)

First club run. Nice to run in a group for a change and put a few names to faces with local people i've connected with on Strava over the last year or so!

Friday
    Short S&C Sesh

Saturday
    15km - Mixed Paces - avg 4:38

3rd fastest 15km according to Strava (1:08:xx) - 10 mile PB is 1:09:xx so based off this session and how comfortable I was, I reckon I could beat this at current form.

New plan starting today - Just under 18 weeks to Galway Marathon October 2nd (fingers crossed 3rd time lucky it'll happen!!) - otherwise it's another Virtual. Woo :D

Weekly Total : 54km

Monday 1st June
    3km WU
    6 x 10s Sprints (60s Walk off)
    3km CD

Tuesday
    3km WU
    15 x 200m (<4:00/km pace / 60s walk off)

Wednesday
    10km Recovery run @ average 5:15/km pace.

Meant to be 5:30-5:45/km pace, not used to holding back so much, really messes with the rhythm but I'll learn to hold back as these are important runs to do too. Wednesdays will be recovery 10s for the month of June.

Thursday
    3km WU
    6km @ <4:50/km pace
    3km CD

Friday
    Short S&C Sesh

Saturday
    10M easy avg 4:59/km (1:20:xx)

Weekly Total: 53km

Only increasing 2-5 km a week in June but it's nice to have a mix of different sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,422 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hi there - interesting log, promising progress since 2019, kudos for that.

Agree with the others that 3:25 seems like a low bar for someone running your kind of times over the 5k-HM distances.

3:25 marathon pace is something like 4:50/k but you seem to be doing a lot of running at that pace, which you describe as ‘easy’, which looks a bit contradictory (if MP is easy you’re doing it wrong). :)

What’s the coaching philosophy, as a matter of interest - or does the coach have a different target in mind?

Best of luck with all this.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hi there - interesting log, promising progress since 2019, kudos for that.

Agree with the others that 3:25 seems like a low bar for someone running your kind of times over the 5k-HM distances.

3:25 marathon pace is something like 4:50/k but you seem to be doing a lot of running at that pace, which you describe as ‘easy’, which looks a bit contradictory (if MP is easy you’re doing it wrong). :)

What’s the coaching philosophy, as a matter of interest - or does the coach have a different target in mind?

Best of luck with all this.

Thanks a mil!

Completely agree with you regarding the easy runs and how I'm contradicting myself with them. Easy runs should be run at an easy pace!! I have to learn to hold back more.

He agrees the 3:25 more than achievable - I'm going to push for sub 3:20 anyway in October. It will be a completely different experience if there's an actual race on :)

• Advertisement

Hectic week in work hence the late update.

Monday 7th June
    3km WU
    6 x 10s Sprints (60s Walk-off)
    3km CD

Tuesday
    12km @5min/km pace

Wednesday
    10km Recovery run @ average 5:21/km pace.
    Short S&C Session

Thursday
    3km WU
    6km @ <4:50/km pace
    3km CD

Saturday
    17km avg 5:00/km pace

Weekly Total: 58km

Advertisement