Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme hate preacher banned from all Europe to visit Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No it's not. As a lot of people said, this is literally causing the Streisand effect. If no credence was given to this preacher, a handful of bigots would have been in attendance. Now anyone who had bigoted tendencies are aware of him. He will claim that the evil gays have tried to ban his speech and the only way to win is to fight back.

I'd prefer to be able to see people's bigoted nature rather than for the to suppress their hatred and let it simmer under the surface. At least you know who you are dealing with then.

This isnt merely hate speech though. We are talking about someone who was thrown out of Botswana for calling for lgbt people to be stoned to death. This idea of extreme freedom of speech is very dangerous because it puts peoples lives at risk. There is a balance that is needed between the right to freedom of expression versus the right to be safe and free from discrimination. In this case they chose to uphold the rights of lgbt people to be safe and to be free from discrimination. I think its a wise decision and they havent exactly used this law excessively in 20 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement