Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme hate preacher banned from all Europe to visit Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

In this video he is talking about the Pulse nightclub shooting where 49 patrons of a gay bar were murdered. If you don't watch the whole thing at least skip ahead and listen to 2.05 - 2.20. I have no words.

This is what he stands for;

His planned meeting point (if he is allowed to land) is McDonalds on the Corballis Road (just next to the airport) at 9am. He details his itinerary in the below video starting at 6.30

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he even hates the Rosary rattlers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

And rightly so

branie2 wrote: »
    And rightly so

Rightly so to?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Rightly so to?

Hating catholics. I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That the hate preacher was banned

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He should be banned but his views would not be outline in many centres of worship here or in Britain or Europe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if this piece of dog excrement is an extreme closet case...

JupiterKid wrote:
    It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if this piece of dog excrement is an extreme closet case...

FFS. This trope is ridiculous

• Advertisement

FFS. This trope is ridiculous

It happens regularly

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 36 declantm

I'm so gonna get banned but I'm in two minds when it comes to free speech. Should we let people like Anderson and Westboro Baptist Church into Ireland to spout they're hate filled diatribe and let people see how horrible and nasty they are or should we just ban them outright?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Free speech should not, and does not, include hate speech. Dutch minister for Justice Mark Harbers summed it up perfectly last week I thought
    There is no place in a democratic nation like ours for discrimination, incitement to hatred or intolerance and violence on any grounds...

Civil liberties are not a license for intolerant behaviour that limits the freedoms of others...

The government is committed to taking strong action against extremist speakers who, by spreading their beliefs. restrict the freedoms of others or incite people to hatred or violence.

The Dutch ban has meant he is banned from the entire Schengen area and the UK previously banned him. I think Ireland is the only EU nation he is not banned from (open to correction). It is a pity Ireland is too spineless to take a stand and ban this preacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 declantm

In the USA hate speech is allowed, so people like Anderson are allowed to constantly spread their vitriol and hatred but in Europe we're on the fence. We have several general policy recommendations but nothing outright banning hate speech. I agree that Ireland should ban him, but I would like to see what the post reaction to his obscene ramblings would show. I would expect most people wouldn't even notice he was here. In fairness, at most he's a blip on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

In this video he is talking about the Pulse nightclub shooting where 49 patrons of a gay bar were murdered. If you don't watch the whole thing at least skip ahead and listen to 2.05 - 2.20. I have no words.

This is what he stands for;

His planned meeting point (if he is allowed to land) is McDonalds on the Corballis Road (just next to the airport) at 9am. He details his itinerary in the below video starting at 6.30

Forced myself to finish watching one of the videos . Pure unadulterated shyte!
    I hope he gets lynched if he sets foot in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Glad to say he has been banned - the first person to be excluded from the country under laws introduced in 1999.

Remarkable, I honestly thought Ireland didn't have the bottle to issue a ban order.

The cynical part of me genuinely wonders if this is in any part influenced by the local elections.

In any case I'm glad he won't be bringing his vitriol to Ireland and even if his event does still go ahead (he has previously said he lined up alternate speakers if he is banned) it sends a clear message to those who would come to Ireland and preach intolerance.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/anti-gay-preacher-is-first-ever-banned-from-ireland-under-exclusion-powers-1.3889848

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The only message it sends is don't have those views and be a preaching Pastor.

In any case I'm glad he won't be bringing his vitriol to Ireland and even if his event does still go ahead (he has previously said he lined up alternate speakers if he is banned) it sends a clear message to those who would come to Ireland and preach intolerance.

Can you not see any irony in that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Can you not see any irony in that statement?

Intolerance of extreme hate preachers is, I think, something we can live with.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote:
    Intolerance of extreme hate preachers is, I think, something we can live with.

I can't. I don't like the idea that we can shut down people's right to say what they believe in just because we don't agree with it.

I'd prefer to be able to hear what my opponents have to say rather than give them credence by making their words unspeakable.

But sure, as long as you don't hear anything that offends you, life is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I can't. I don't like the idea that we can shut down people's right to say what they believe in just because we don't agree with it.

I'd prefer to be able to hear what my opponents have to say rather than give them credence by making their words unspeakable.

Nobody is shutting down his right to say what he believes just where he can be when he says it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What venue was due to host him does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

He can say whatever he wants. He is not a citizen of this state and as such does not have a right to be here. Entry into Ireland is a privilege and that privilege can be revoked. His intention was to come here to preach hate.

How many times does this have to be said so people like you understand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Who do I contact about background checks on unverified immigration flowing into this country on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Who do I contact about background checks on unverified immigration flowing into this country on a weekly basis.

If you think someone is here illegally, you can always report them. EU citizens don't require background checks as they have a legal right to be here.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,559 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm tempted to contact him and read out what he wants said.
    I wouldn't agree with anything he has to say and it would be very tough for me to read it out but I don't like people being prevented from airing their opinions.
    Banning him from coming into the country because you disagree with his beliefs is ludicrous.
    Nanny state mentality like we can't look after ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A whole lot of effort has gone into investigating this guy yet thousands come through the borders here unchecked whom ever did the checking on this guy why aren't they using that shrewd sense for more productive means

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

its clearly a case of ban the people I don't like
    a worrying development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Banning him only gives him more publicity. If you agree with what he says this will not change your mind. You should be able to listen to these people and then just say" aw would u ever rev up and fu## off."

Advertisement