Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this hairy legs eating all my crops?

Options
  • 02-05-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Been planting various crop seeds in my raised beds. The seeds are germinating and everything is fine up until the plants start showing and get to around 1cm high, then they're eaten!
    Is it alphids, or could it be these creatures shown below?:eek:
    Does anyone know anything about these spiders?
    There seems to be thousands of them in the garden.
    Can anyone answer:
    1. Would they be eating the young plants?
    2. What would be the natural predator that would eat these?
    Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks

DSCF9200_zps60hlls9s.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I seriously doubt its spiders given that every species is strictly carnivorous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

How about slugs? They come out at night and hide away during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Hi All,
    Been planting various crop seeds in my raised beds. The seeds are germinating and everything is fine up until the plants start showing and get to around 1cm high, then they're eaten!
    Is it alphids, or could it be these creatures shown below?:eek:
    Does anyone know anything about these spiders?
    There seems to be thousands of them in the garden.
    Can anyone answer:
    1. Would they be eating the young plants?
    2. What would be the natural predator that would eat these?
    Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks

DSCF9200_zps60hlls9s.jpg
    Looks like a wolf spider, give him/her a handshake for their good work and to invite more of their friends as they're eating what's after your plants. Any particular crop more than others?
    You'll need to do some investigating as it could be slugs most likely or bettles or likes of wireworm of some variety as aphids are general sap sucking so affect the plant as it gets going not as a soft seedling.

Advertisement