Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

s8n wrote: »
    Anyone see the upcoming Premier League block on Kodi as causing an issue ?

Not on this thread, no. Because we don't want to see it closed.

F**k sake.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Yeah it could do, it looks like the PL have a new way of identifying the illegal streamers which they are trying to keep secret,it wont effect me as I dont use it. Kodi has to be the worst way to watch pl games with regards to reliability and quality, anyway probably shouldnt be discussing this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Its nothing to do with Kodi

Kodi is a open source media player that has many legal uses.Its the third party addons that provide the streams you mention

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Strange one, but I'm now the proud owner of a 500GB Nvidia Shield. Apparently completely and utterly gratis.:D

One arrived yesterday from Amazon, yet I never ordered it. It's not on my Amazon account, and no money has been taken from me. :confused:

fLGDRT.jpg

Has my name on the parcel, addressed perfectly etc etc etc.

I will let the hare sit a few days before I get too attached to it.
    a saying hereabouts goes refuse nothing for free, only strokes

Don't think so. It's not my birthday for almost six months. I've been asking but no one seems to even know what a Nvidia Shield even is.
    say a prayer to the god of chance

• Advertisement

Don't think so. It's not my birthday for almost six months. I've been asking but no one seems to even know what a Nvidia Shield even is.

You know, if you don't want it, I'll gladly take it off your hands..........for the same price as you paid for it......... :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

BandMember wrote: »
    You know, if you don't want it, I'll gladly take it off your hands..........for the same price as you paid for it......... :P :D

I only set it up today lads, haven't even gotten around to throwing kodi on to it yet, but I'm very very impressed so far.

It has amazon video, plex, YouTube etc all already installed , also uses the full Google voice service etc.

Solid built, plus it's absolutely tiny, (in comparison to my pipo anyway)

The daughter has been on it all day playing various games via geo (i had to subscribe at €9.99 a month to access the free trial) im not a massive gamer(anymore) so unsure if i will cancel before payment is due (30 day free trial)

Will lob kodi on her this evening when the better half turns in for the night.

I know i got mine gratis (so far) but i would tell anyone thinking of getting one to go for it. They are a serious piece of kit.

Thanks for the review, have read various reports about the Shield so looking forward to hearing from a first hand user. Hope you enjoy it, it's supposed to be a serious piece of kit!

P.S. My comment earlier was in jest - I would never be serious with a comment like that. You had some very good luck, make the most of it! You should probably buy a lotto ticket this week as well though.... ;):)

Thanks for the review, have read various reports about the Shield so looking forward to hearing from a first hand user. Hope you enjoy it, it's supposed to be a serious piece of kit!

P.S. My comment earlier was in jest - I would never be serious with a comment like that. You had some very good luck, make the most of it! You should probably buy a lotto ticket this week as well though.... ;):)

I will throw a few pics up later so you can see just how neat and compact it is. I haven't tinkered with it yet, but I'm assured Plex is an even better media experience than kodi, so am going to check that out too.

As far as getting it free, i ordered a new phone for my mam for mother's day, and got the usual email today to inform me it was dispatched, and on its way.

Checked my orders, phone is on it, as are a few other recent orders (phone chargers, kindles, books etc) but no shield.:confused:

It really is an odd one, odder still that it was wrapped up using the Amazon prime sticky tape, as I am an Amazon prime subscriber.

I am viewing it as a gift from the media god's. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I am viewing it as a gift from the media god's. :D

Meanwhile, in Summer Bay, Mr A. Stewart aks "Where's me flamin' Amazon delivery?

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in Summer Bay, Mr A. Stewart aks "Where's me flamin' Amazon delivery?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

UsedToWait wrote: »

As long as he doesn't meet him in the diner! ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

For those thinking of getting new Minix U9, have purchased  one, but have seen issues
    [font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]issue 1 [/font]
    [font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]latest firmware and find All 4 (Channel 4 steaming service) hanging buffering
    I am using latest FW
    have uninstalled rebooted and reinstalled all 4 
    No root
    no add blocker
    have 360 mb broadband
    wired connection cat 6 cabling , have fake WiFi ticked on

using exactly the same network cable and router port , which up to a few days ago was used with my Minix x8 (non plus) , which worked perfectly with All 4
    [/font]

[font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]issue 2 , youtube and google play hang , intermittent[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

I have just about to buy the Xiaomi Mi Box based on the recomendations in this thread when I realised that it doesn't have an ethernet port, I am looking to hardwire the internet to the box, can anyone recommend a similar box to the mi box with an ethernet port which is a decent box?

I know I can buy an adaptor for the usb port on the mi box if there isn't anything more suitable out there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Strange one, but I'm now the proud owner of a 500GB Nvidia Shield. Apparently completely and utterly gratis.:D

One arrived yesterday from Amazon, yet I never ordered it. It's not on my Amazon account, and no money has been taken from me. :confused:

fLGDRT.jpg

Has my name on the parcel, addressed perfectly etc etc etc.

I will let the hare sit a few days before I get too attached to it.

Did you win it on Ares free draw? That has been the monthly prize last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Is there any way to get Nickelodeon cartoon channels on Android box? e.g. pay per view or subscription. Or is it a total no as android boxes aren't endorsed by the tv companies?

Thanks,
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

levi wrote: »
    Considering pulling the trigger on a Mi Box unless there's something better I should be considering for similar money.

A friend has a nvidia shield and it does look very slick but can't justify the money for it. From reading this thread the Mi Box is a good compromise for price vs. functionality. I've no interest in playing games just watching Netflix etc. Should the Mi Box be able to handle that.

Looking at purchasing from this seller on Ebay - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-4K-Google-Android6-0-TV-BOX-HDR-International-Version-Voice-Remote-/122355472779?hash=item1c7cf4598b:g:PS4AAOSw241YhXlS - item is located in Dublin apparently so shouldn't be hit by customs.

What do people think of the Zoomtak boxes? Are they any good or better off with Android TV on the Mi Box?

Quick update, bought this from eBay - ordered it on a Monday, received the following Monday with Paddy's Day so would definitely recommend the seller.

The box is great, still getting to grips with its functionality - lots of options, just need to work out what I need.

Thanks for the advice everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Considering pulling the trigger on a Mi Box unless there's something better I should be considering for similar money.

A friend has a nvidia shield and it does look very slick but can't justify the money for it. From reading this thread the Mi Box is a good compromise for price vs. functionality. I've no interest in playing games just watching Netflix etc. Should the Mi Box be able to handle that.

Looking at purchasing from this seller on Ebay - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-4K-Google-Android6-0-TV-BOX-HDR-International-Version-Voice-Remote-/122355472779?hash=item1c7cf4598b:g:PS4AAOSw241YhXlS - item is located in Dublin apparently so shouldn't be hit by customs.

What do people think of the Zoomtak boxes? Are they any good or better off with Android TV on the Mi Box?

Quick update, bought this from eBay - ordered it on a Monday, received the following Monday with Paddy's Day so would definitely recommend the seller.

The box is great, still getting to grips with its functionality - lots of options, just need to work out what I need.

Thanks for the advice everyone
    if you want to put it through it's paces, assuming you have a 4K/UHD TV, there's some good (legit) free test videos to show it off here: http://4ksamples.com/
    download them and stick them onto a usb stick to really show off the box if you don't have any UHD content of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone use the Minix A3 Air Mouse?
    Is it worth bundling in if buying a new box?
    I have tromosat remote that has served me well but half thinking of spending a few quid if warranted.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Anyone use the Minix A3 Air Mouse?
    Is it worth bundling in if buying a new box?
    I have tromosat remote that has served me well but half thinking of spending a few quid if warranted.

If it's still and working and you like it, why would you change it? All you would need to do is the USB key over, no?

I have a keyboard remote that I bought when I got my Minix and I really like it - I tried the A2 but didn't like it at all, felt the one I already had was far more user friendly. So, when I upgrade this box, I'll be swapping that mouse over to the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If it's still and working and you like it, why would you change it? All you would need to do is the USB key over, no?

I have a keyboard remote that I bought when I got my Minix and I really like it - I tried the A2 but didn't like it at all, felt the one I already had was far more user friendly. So, when I upgrade this box, I'll be swapping that mouse over to the new one.

Still working perfectly and yup just need to put usb key in a new box.

I'm more wondering is the A3 a huge set up from other remotes ,I suspect it's not but just looking for any review from users.

i needed a box quickly, no 1 it had to be easy to use, i got in touch with a seller on adverts and as the kodi fourms recomened a blink as a cheap box for their software i got one, it arrive the folowing day, set it up using my fone as a hotspot, it ran nicely, i then came across a problem, texed the seller who immediatly rang back and fixed me up, a week after i gor another problem, kodi would cut out after a few minutes, texed the seller, who again rang back and fixed me up, dunno if i am allowed to give the name of the seller, so if any one requires the name feel free to pm me, i got one of the huawei modems from germany today, my fone used to get 10-15 mps down, this yoke has given me 60 download

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

flutered wrote: »
    i needed a box quickly, no 1 it had to be easy to use, i got in touch with a seller on adverts and as the kodi fourms recomened a blink as a cheap box for their software i got one, it arrive the folowing day, set it up using my fone as a hotspot, it ran nicely, i then came across a problem, texed the seller who immediatly rang back and fixed me up, a week after i gor another one, kodi would cut out after a few minutes, texed the seller, who again rang back and fixed me up, dunno if i am allowed to give the name of the seller, so if any one requires the name feel free to pm me, i got one of the huawei modems from germany today, my fone used to get 10-15 mps down, this yoke has given me 60 download

Was it you were having the problems or the box? If it was the box then i wouldn't be recommending that seller, 2 boxes that didn't work properly and needed to be "fixed up"

.red. wrote: »
    Was it you were having the problems or the box? If it was the box then i wouldn't be recommending that seller, 2 boxes that didn't work properly and needed to be "fixed up"
    no prob with the box, as a dysliscic aop the problem was me, i got only one box, the service and after market help was 100%,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

flutered wrote: »
    no prob with the box, as a dysliscic aop the problem was me, i got only one box, the service and after market help was 100%,

I think the seller may have misunderstood your feedback, based on his reply?? :confused:

eamonnq wrote: »
    I think the seller may have misunderstood your feedback, based on his reply?? :confused:
    something i have not checked, i will wander over there later on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before-
    what's the cheapest Android box that kids (10 and 7) would be able to use?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Pa.
    What sort of TV do you have, and what do you want the kids to access?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

If its for kids, the Android TV interface rather than the hacked up Android tablet interfaces of the cheap Chinese boxes is a must.
    No messing around with air mouses or keyboards.

The Mi box is the cheapest and best IMO, around 66€ from Chinese sellers like Aliexpress or add another 10-15€ from EU based seller.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Pa.

Been answered multiple times before - one of the posters even put together a post with a load of box recommendations with prices and reviews.

Advertisement