Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Erin Foods closed in May 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

johntune wrote: »
    Yes a badly needed 9th chipper for the town.

I reckon McDonalds will be the death of a few of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

tastyt wrote: »
    I reckon McDonalds will be the death of a few of those

Wait until there's a match on in town. McDonalds will be mobbed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's rare to see a quiet McDonald's, those places are kid magnets.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭shmeee

The "Thurles needs a Penny's" social media posters who post on every news article when the town announces something new are on a hard on now when they hear Thurles may be getting a McDonalds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

shmeee wrote: »
    The "Thurles needs a Penny's" social media posters who post on every news article when the town announces something new are on a hard on now when they hear Thurles may be getting a McDonalds.

They’re quite sure that michael Lowry can “command” Penneys and MacDonalds to open in Thurles wether either of these businesses consider it economically viable or not. He and Cahill should have long ago ordered them to open here.
    This is what happens when you rely on big government to give you everything you have, housing, the dole etc. You consider the government reps to be God like creatures that are all powerful like the leader of N Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's enough McDonlads around with cashel and roscrea, would love to see a Hillbilly’s open up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

There's enough McDonlads around with cashel and roscrea, would love to see a Hillbilly’s open up.

YES YES YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

So the council replaces a section of the footpath which had perfectly good paving blocks with cheap ready mix concrete that’ll no doubt be cracked in 2022 . :/

Parnell Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So the council replaces a section of the footpath which had perfectly good paving blocks with cheap ready mix concrete that’ll no doubt be cracked in 2022 . :/

Parnell Street

Will stop the weeds growing up at least!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Parnell Street

So lazy. At least it wasn't just a ball of tarmac squashed in.

corwill wrote: »
    So lazy. At least it wasn't just a ball of tarmac squashed in.

That comes out in the recession. Thurles Town Council spent a lot of our towns money laying those footpaths in 1996. That new council doesn’t even hire people to sweep them anymore. It’s all concrete and watered tarmac.

Remember the gangermen including the auld granny out in the pickup everyday with the yard brush sweeping the footpaths.

They even stopped the J.J guy from the Matthew Lions House voluntarily going around picking up papers with a litter picker citing health&safety and insurance.

Keep an eye on the Liberty square refurbishment. Fancy paving slabs in the square are part of the design Thurles Town Council had drawn up. Thurles Town Council set aside this money before abolition. We’ll see then if any of this money was touched.

Keep an eye on the Liberty square refurbishment. Fancy paving slabs in the square are part of the design Thurles Town Council had drawn up. Thurles Town Council set aside this money before abolition. We’ll see then if any of this money was touched.

Have they thrown away the plans already?

https://thurles.ie/event/town-centre-renewal-strategy-survey/?fbclid=IwAR2v4mILKlxoJnmkC-wnpV6tJbiwERNxaaLbiomsQ2LJmvaJHvnMIubtBJc

being carried out by a London based landscaping firm? https://landuse.co.uk/

Looks like a pretty big and serious company, would give hope of a decent Job in fairness

Work on Erin Foods tear-down is coming along well. Lots of asbestos removal done so far I'd say.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a Feile 2020 in Thurles this year ?

Missed it last year, was it deemed a success in general ?

Does anyone know if there is going to be a Feile 2020 in Thurles this year ?

Missed it last year, was it deemed a success in general ?

2019 wasn't as big a success as 2018 but from what I know, there's a 3 year contract so there should be one this year. This year's one will be the 30th anniversary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

they were giving tickets away last year so i cant see it happening much longer without radical changes. aniversary should save it this year

It needs to be international indie pop/rock acts if they want it to survive. You’ll never get the likes of Taylor Swift to play there (without writing a big fat cheque) but you could get the likes of The Killers, Snow Patrol, Muse etc.

Walking past Semple today, the signage has faded and it could do with a good coat of paint. This is supposed to be the GAA’s second stadium and they can’t be arsed to tarmac outside it. Big puddles at the entrance to the car park.

Meanwhile, there’s no sign of Irish Water putting right the damage recently done to the road surface in Stradavoher. Watered down chippings and tar have come up within a month. See attached. It’s parent company Eriva resurfaced the streets in Nenagh after laying gas mains. Thurles and Tipperary Towns streets are completely destroyed. Iarnród Éireann made sure they did a proper job on their property after they replaced the pipes.

I come down the lane beside the industrial estate every morning. Over the last week the front of my car has been hit with tar and gravel from the wheels on passing cars flinging them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Taylor Swift? Has she a connection with Thurles....Billie Ellish is O'Connell stock from lougmore.

I’ve just been informed that due to the disastrous ticket sales last year, it’s highly unlikely it will go ahead this year.

List of hackneys and Taxis from circa 1996-1998

John Ryan is the only one that's listed still doing hackneys. The rest have given it up or passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

List of hackneys and Taxis from circa 1996-1998

John Ryan is the only one that's listed still doing hackneys. The rest have given it up or passed away.

Is Jerry Ryan not Jerry the Yank? Still at it too afaik.

is packie henessy still at it

No sign of that McDonalds planning application yet :D

Fitzpatrick and John Ryan are the only ones. I think Jerry Ryan only does coach hire these days.

Anyone eaten in the Rusti café?

Have a couple of visitors tomorrow evening and looking y somewhere casual enough.

Place looks lovely but dunno how well its going?

Anyone eaten in the Rusti café?

Have a couple of visitors tomorrow evening and looking y somewhere casual enough.

Place looks lovely but dunno how well its going?

Proprietors are awful people altogether. Setting is very nice, food is quite good.

[QUOTE=splinter65;112676497]Proprietors are awful people altogether. Setting is very nice, food is quite good.[/QUOTE]

what

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    Proprietors are awful people altogether. Setting is very nice, food is quite good.

Thanks for the reply

Big statement about the people there though

Thanks for the reply

Big statement about the people there though

Not really. I have personal experience.

504434.PNG

Christmas Eve 2016 Jimmy McInerney. You'd miss him around the town, same with poor Francie Mcguire fighting with the staff at Tesco and telling people to f**k off.

He's in the Hospital of the Assumption now along with his brother Terry. When he was in bother the summer before last he was brought to Clonmel then transferred to here. I saw a picture somewhere of him after a few weeks of being there and he looks healthier than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

He's in the Hospital of the Assumption now along with his brother Terry. When he was in bother the summer before last he was brought to Clonmel then transferred to here. I saw a picture somewhere of him after a few weeks of being there and he looks healthier than ever.

I remember hearing that he had got into difficulty during that heatwave the summer before last. Amazing that that man survived so many cold winters and then it was the heat that eventually got too much for him. He always looked like he wore loads of layers and probably never changed for the heat. Great to hear he is doing alright.

Yeah he always had loads of layers on him which made him look hefty but in reality he's actually quite thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 CorBlimey!

Does anyone find a couple of the employees in Lidl in Thurles particularly rude?

I've been pretty taken aback over the behaviour of two younger members of staff.

Between chatting and laughing on headsets and outrightly ignoring confused customers, to one lad who doesn't even say hello/ goodbye or meet your eye and almost always leaves my money on the counter when my hand is outstretched to receive it. I have seen him treat other customers like this also.

Really, really strange behaviour. That said I have no issue with any of the other staff, they are always very friendly, polite and efficient. Which I could pretty much say about every Aldi and Lidl I've been in. That's why it's so staggering and odd. I don't know how they're getting away with it without any complaints to management.

Perhaps leaving the change on the counter is safer these days?

CorBlimey! wrote: »
    Does anyone find a couple of the employees in Lidl in Thurles particularly rude?

I've been pretty taken aback over the behaviour of two younger members of staff.

Between chatting and laughing on headsets and outrightly ignoring confused customers, to one lad who doesn't even say hello/ goodbye or meet your eye and almost always leaves my money on the counter when my hand is outstretched to receive it. I have seen him treat other customers like this also.

Really, really strange behaviour. That said I have no issue with any of the other staff, they are always very friendly, polite and efficient. Which I could pretty much say about every Aldi and Lidl I've been in. That's why it's so staggering and odd. I don't know how they're getting away with it without any complaints to management.

The thing about Lidl and Aldi is that customer service is not really what they’re about. The message is, if it’s not on the shelf then we haven’t got it, or if you can’t see it then you’re going to have to look for it yourself.
    In saying that, if I felt I had been disrespected then I would complain.
    I wouldn’t hand you your change either at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CorBlimey!

Well I worked for Lidl myself a couple of years ago, and certainly we would have been taken to task for their behaviour.

Customer service is definitely valued in Lidl. I just really don't get it, considering how decent the other staff are I wouldn't think it's an issue with management.

The change on the counter thing is not new. The laughing and chatting on the headset has been going on for a year and half! Anyway, sure look. It is what it is.

definetly not new behaviour. its the main thing i hate about lidl.
    i have regularly seen cashiers talking on the head set to each other and ignoring the customer. in english and other languages , locals and foreigners both do it. i have seen them completely ignore customers and not say a word bar cash or card. they regularly continue to put items through even though the previous customer is still there and in the way of the curent customer.

• Advertisement

That’s all Lidl stores from experience. When it first opened on the 5th June 2002 (I remember dates too well) the staff were all Irish and British. That English lady from Poundsworth (Davis) worked there. After Poland’s accession to the EU in 2004 all the Irish felt it was beneath them to work in Lidl and for years it was all Polish staff.

Anyone witness the vandalism at the source last night? Wheelie bins set alight in the underground car park. The timber fascia also caught fire. The video I saw showed flames billowing out of a doorway on the river side. From what I heard today that car park is a known place for drug dealing/taking also.

Anyone witness the vandalism at the source last night? Wheelie bins set alight in the underground car park. The timber fascia also caught fire. The video I saw showed flames billowing out of a doorway on the river side. From what I heard today that car park is a known place for drug dealing/taking also.

Yes it is. So is the town park and mall. Recently had to improvise and make a litter grabber myself up the mall. I picked up 4 syringe and burnt them in a biscuit tin down the end of the walkway. What’s funny is I’d probably have been the one prosecuted if caught. 3 Thurles Garda cars were redeployed to elsewhere in the country on Thursday. Including the 141-D-25606 Ford Mondeo which is now in Limerick City I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

I must say that the new post office is really nice.
    Clean, spacious and well laid out.
    It must be a great imporvment for the staff since the last place.

Talking to a Garda earlier. 3 more Garda cars were taken from the Thurles district and in return a Mercedes Sprinter van allocated.

I’d imagine if Thurles district hospital was still open, ventilators and PPE would be taken away from us.

Next it’ll be the ambulances and skeleton emergency services staff.

I wonder where this current crisis leaves the planned developments in the town? Would be sad to see the business park and Lidl put on the back burner aswell as the new estate in Loughtagalla.

Also , it’s going to be very tough for all the businesses that have shut down in town to come back, cafes , restaurants and pubs especially.

No harm losing a couple of pubs as I think the town has too many anyway but we definitely need the restaurants and cafes to be supported if and when they get back up and running

See some idiot circulated a couple of photos of the Gardaí outside Hayses Hotel and claimed that people had been caught inside drinking. It was shared 100s of times. Hayses have had to go on Facebook to point out that it’s fake news and ask people to report the post.

141-D-25606 is back in Thurles. I have seen the photo on Twitter and it's that particular Mondeo in the photo featured. Livery was changed on this car in 2018 so the photo was taken sometime in the past year and 6 months. from the angle it looks like someone above Healthy Haven. Photo on Twitter, a Garda is shining a torch in window.

141-D-25606 is back in Thurles. I have seen the photo on Twitter and it's that particular Mondeo in the photo featured. Livery was changed on this car in 2018 so the photo was taken sometime in the past year and 6 months. from the angle it looks like someone above Healthy Haven. Photo on Twitter, a Garda is shining a torch in window.

don't know anything about garda cars.
    what does that sign say about the mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Oops!

So your saying the photo is an old one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement