Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this okay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Treppen wrote: »
    What the hell is the major need to give books back right now?Can it really not wait another month or so.

Yes definitely. All the book companies have made their books free to use on their websites including the workbooks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

At primary level both the DES and CPSMA aren’t suggesting giving books out at present . Our school operates book rental so I’d be against giving anything out bar workbooks that children fill in .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

At primary level both the DES and CPSMA aren’t suggesting giving books out at present . Our school operates book rental so I’d be against giving anything out bar workbooks that children fill in .

Re: book rental, we were told that students could leave the books into school in plastic bags/boxes which would not be touched for at least a week as the virus would not be able to survive after seven days.

I can't understand the rush for parents to need books and at the end of the day, IF the books were really needed in hard copy - the bookshops remained open. I think it is principals throwing their weight around giving teachers something to do, if they hadn't even to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Just found this thread. I think this is a perfect example of a major issue within teaching. Principals have too much power and there is next to no oversight.
    I left a permanent position in a school where the Principal was a complete bully. I am still working down the clock to get panel rights. I was one of three permanent staff members who left that year and the entire staff would only be about 12/13. When I read the OP here, I thought of that school straight away, only I would have heard from my former colleagues.
    Because most Principals are decent and hard-working, a blind eye seems to be turned by unions, the department and the inspectorate to the type of Principal that the OP has mentioned. Even if you don't teach in such a school, I'm sure every teacher has heard anecdotally, of such a Principal.
    Some seem to think they are entitled to run the school as their own personal fiefdom and it seems to be particularly true when it comes to hiring practices. It's easy to say "just tell her to fire me" but unless you've worked for such a Principal it's hard to imagine how intimidating it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

I’m currently working with an absolute power hungry, control freak Principal who has no social distancing skills whatsoever!
    He stands over me in the office all the time with no mask on, brings parents directly in on top of me in my pokey office, again with no masks.
    He constantly sits at my desk using my computer and phone when he has his own office.
    I’m out now with suspected Covid and he is raging that I might have ‘passed it on to him’!!
    God give me patience 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

SnrInfant wrote: »
    I’m currently working with an absolute power hungry, control freak Principal who has no social distancing skills whatsoever!
    He stands over me in the office all the time with no mask on, brings parents directly in on top of me in my pokey office, again with no masks.
    He constantly sits at my desk using my computer and phone when he has his own office.
    I’m out now with suspected Covid and he is raging that I might have ‘passed it on to him’!!
    God give me patience 😡

Contact your Union

Advertisement