Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this okay?

Options
  • 30-04-2020 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Was speaking to a friend today who is a fellow primary teacher. They were telling me that their principal has had the school building open since the closure directive was announced on 30th of March and is expecting almost the full staff to be in. They are all in at the same time and some people are refusing to practice social distancing and there is no sanitizer being provided. Also the staff were provided with letters from them to class themselves as essential workers even though teachers are not on this list.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

How did they get a letter saying their essential workers when teachers aren't?? Does the letter say they work as something else?

This is why unions were invented. They should all get onto their union.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

How big is this school? I can’t imagine that many sheep on a staff. Is there not one with a modicum of sense that would put the foot down and say no.

And then we wonder why the lockdown will be extended...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This is too ridiculous to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ring the guards. DM me, I’ll ring them. It’s because of idiots like this that we’ll be stuck in lockdown for weeks on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

doc_17 wrote: »
    Ring the guards. DM me, I’ll ring them. It’s because of idiots like this that we’ll be stuck in lockdown for weeks on end.

I don't know how long the principal has before retirement but I would hate to work in an atmosphere where work is more important than health. My answer, no - fire me.

This happened a few weeks ago in westmeath where principal wanted his/her 14 staff present for staff meeting.

I'll dial 999 for you. I wonder would the indo be interested :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

I was speaking to a principal last night, who has to go into the school to access proper internet.
    He explained technically he is not supposed to be on the school premises unless he/she is doing the wages.

Before the major shutdown, schools were closed to students but principals were checking could they actual insist on teachers being in at their desks completing admin duties. This particular principal felt when he researched it he could have insisted his staff were in working. It would not have gone down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Was speaking to a friend today who is a fellow primary teacher. They were telling me that their principal has had the school building open since the closure directive was announced on 30th of March and is expecting almost the full staff to be in. They are all in at the same time and some people are refusing to practice social distancing and there is no sanitizer being provided. Also the staff were provided with letters from them to class themselves as essential workers even though teachers are not on this list.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this?

Thoughts!!!

Have they no homes to be going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I find it hard to believe tbh. No way each and every staff member know so little as to just turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I assure you all this is very much a true story. Theres around 9 on staff in total and all bar 2 are attending the school building with up to 5 there at any one time.

The principal got the secretary to type up the letters and then delivered them to staff. So the school wrote the letters themselves.

Why don't you name the school so and one of us can report it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I assure you all this is very much a true story. Theres around 9 on staff in total and all bar 2 are attending the school building with up to 5 there at any one time.

The principal got the secretary to type up the letters and then delivered them to staff. So the school wrote the letters themselves.

If you PM me the name of the school I can assure you that I will have the matter dealt with immediately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What exactly are they doing? IF this is true, the staff must be bullied and cowed by this principal. Ring the Gardaí and the DES.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

What exactly are they doing? IF this is true, the staff must be bullied and cowed by this principal. Ring the Gardaí and the DES.

The chairperson of the BOM as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Unless they are there for the purposes of organising school meals, they are breaking the regulations. It's not ok. If true, then the principal should be sacked tbh. Irresponsible, risking health and safety, and ignoring the law. Not fit to be entrusted with the welfare and education of children, and definitely couldn't be trusted to safely manage whatever precautions will be required for eventual reopening. A Teaching Council fitness to teach enquiry could also be warranted imo. The other staff are also responsible for breaking these regulations. It's very sad if they are coerced and bullied, but ultimately government regulations are more important than one principal on a power trip. The BOM and patron also need to be held to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Unless they are there for the purposes of organising school meals, they are breaking the regulations. It's not ok. If true, then the principal should be sacked tbh. Irresponsible, risking health and safety, and ignoring the law. Not fit to be entrusted with the welfare and education of children, and definitely couldn't be trusted to safely manage whatever precautions will be required for eventual reopening. A Teaching Council fitness to teach enquiry could also be warranted imo. The other staff are also responsible for breaking these regulations. It's very sad if they are coerced and bullied, but ultimately government regulations are more important than one principal on a power trip. The BOM and patron also need to be held to account.

I can assure you that it is very much true and they are not there to deal with the school meals. There is huge problems within the school regarding the running of it. This is just another thing in a long line. The letters were "signed" by the chair of the BOM. I say "signed" as the name on the letter is the chair but the handwriting looks suspiciously like the principal's. I am very close to the person who told me this and I have seen the letter. It's no joke. I know the staff also fear what is coming down the tracks regarding reopening procedures also but will have to see how that pans out.

I don't understand why they are turning up?

If afraid to stick their neck out, contact the guards or the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Patrons held to account ?! That will be the day ! Easy to say stick your neck out but these sociopathic bully principals will make it their life’s goal to put you under so much stress you get sick / leave /are let go .In these times when what little power the unions had to protect workers is fading to zero ( like our Ministers their bosses generally requires very little scratching to reveal their base metal/ mettle ).Sometimes easier to just go along with these c*•+s .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

2011abc wrote: »
    Patrons held to account ?! That will be the day ! Easy to say stick your neck out but these sociopathic bully principals will make it their life’s goal to put you under so much stress you get sick / leave /are let go .In these times when what little power the unions had to protect workers is fading to zero ( like our Ministers their bosses generally requires very little scratching to reveal their base metal/ mettle ).Sometimes easier to just go along with these c*•+s .

Can't say I agree. Most of the teachers in the school are probably permanent/CID. The principal is breaching the lockdown. They should be picking up the phone to the union and getting it sorted.

It's what we did on day one when our principal told staff by email that he was getting their pay docked for not being live online for classes. Union got involved. That was the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Can't say I agree. Most of the teachers in the school are probably permanent/CID. The principal is breaching the lockdown. They should be picking up the phone to the union and getting it sorted.

It's what we did on day one when our principal told staff by email that he was getting their pay docked for not being live online for classes. Union got involved. That was the end of it.

Jaw dropping. How do some people make it to management?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Mardy Bum wrote: »

By being back stabbing , vicious sods without a kind bone in their bodies

Mind you the ‘pay docking ‘ principal sounds like a piece of work even by those standards !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I'd really love to know what is being thought on these management/leadership courses that some of these clowns have taken part in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the case of many Principals, nobody else applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Rosita

It reminds me of the old Douglas Adams comment: “Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

I have seen that in action in schools (not often happily enough) where rat-like cunning, ruthless networking, and relentlessly conspicuous "hard work" are the necessary qualities to get into management. In practice, when in the job these can present as qualities unfit for dealing with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

I hope the department or unions issue guidelines on what is permitted from the 18th of May when school buildings are opened to teachers. I can see many teachers being under pressure to go in to do tasks that are not essential and don’t need to happen or can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Was on a Zoom call with our staff today and our principal requested we all be in school Monday morning at 9.30. We have to get all the kids books/copies etc into bags and have them labelled. In the afternoon the parents have a 2 hour window to come in collect the books and give us back any rental books they have at home.

To say I'm far from enthused by this would be an understatement. I'm not too keen on having 30 parents in on top of me and I'm sure some will bring their kids in for the "chat". This surely could have have been left until Phase 2 (June 9th) when we might have a bit more clarity where we stand infection wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

We had to go into the primary school in March. It was very well done. School classrooms were open. One in and one out to collect books. Books were stacked on childs desk. All info sent in text, very specific on what was to happen/not happen.

Teachers had books ready for collection, no need to meet any staff member. The secretary stood in the yard directing people to classrooms and to remind parents of social distancing.

Could you suggest principal sends text not to bring children and the need for only one parent to collect books.

We had to go into the primary school in March. It was very well done. School classrooms were open. One in and one out to collect books. Books were stacked on childs desk. All info sent in text, very specific on what was to happen/not happen.

Teachers had books ready for collection, no need to meet any staff member. The secretary stood in the yard directing people to classrooms and to remind parents of social distancing.

Could you suggest principal sends text not to bring children and the need for only one parent to collect books.

I did. And I also don't see the need for us to be there when the parents arrive just like was organised in your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Similar here too. 2 teachers stood at the emergency exit of the hall. You gave them kids’ name. They fetched the pile, which was left in a section in the hall. Left them down on a table which blocked the exit. I didn’t have to enter the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

Was on a Zoom call with our staff today and our principal requested we all be in school Monday morning at 9.30. We have to get all the kids books/copies etc into bags and have them labelled. In the afternoon the parents have a 2 hour window to come in collect the books and give us back any rental books they have at home.

To say I'm far from enthused by this would be an understatement. I'm not too keen on having 30 parents in on top of me and I'm sure some will bring their kids in for the "chat". This surely could have have been left until Phase 2 (June 9th) when we might have a bit more clarity where we stand infection wise.

What the hell is the major need to give books back right now?Can it really not wait another month or so.

• Advertisement

Exactly

Advertisement