Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCM Ireland Comic Con or Dublin Comic Con

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A lot of kids going around as Red Hood as well was class. Arkham Knight definitely inspired that. I saw The Killing Joke on sale for SIX THOUSAND EURO!! Better get my copy evaluated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jebus for €6000 it must be signed in blood by Alan Moore. Funko Pop is the devil. Might buy a few if they are cheap enough.

Met Billy West and got a Funko Pop Fry signed, he was a gent. Didn't get near Rooker as the queue was 1-2 hours long, got an excellent sketch of Deadpool done by a very nice artist, Ruth Redmond, she is one very talented lady.

Almost had my day ruined by a guy from Gamestop in their new comic book sans comics store(Zing) booth, they just have it in for me for a reason he was unwilling to tell me what it is though.

Most of the vendors were way overpriced my Fry Pop was €20, drinks were bloody €2.50 for a 500ml riverrock,7up or coke, the stuff up from the artists was very well priced with some awesome stuff on offer, for my first con it was a fun day but whoa did I manage to overspend just a bit I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Will you post back after both?

Had a great day there! (That was me dressed in the SWAT gear)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Met Billy West and got a Funko Pop Fry signed, he was a gent. Didn't get near Rooker as the queue was 1-2 hours long, got an excellent sketch of Deadpool done by a very nice artist, Ruth Redmond, she is one very talented lady.

Almost had my day ruined by a guy from Gamestop in their new comic book sans comics store(Zing) booth, they just have it in for me for a reason he was unwilling to tell me what it is though.

Most of the vendors were way overpriced my Fry Pop was €20, drinks were bloody €2.50 for a 500ml riverrock,7up or coke, the stuff up from the artists was very well priced with some awesome stuff on offer, for my first con it was a fun day but whoa did I manage to overspend just a bit I think. :)

In fairness I'm noticing a few complaints about pop pricing. I'm into these myself. The very basic range of stuff goes for €14.99. And the very basic range is very basic and common as they come.

I an only say from my own experience in one visit to big bang, but they had pop in the €20 range, which are typically the recolours and alternatives. They are typically priced above the common ones. I buy a lot in from the states, where the price ranges are somewhat similar.

Just something worth remembering, there is different tiers of pop vinyl that command different prices. Someone on Facebook had a similar complaint about pop pricing for €20, and the one he took a photo off, retails for €35 , and it was a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Had a great day and don't want to moan but when you're leaving at 3:30pm on the Saturday and go over to buy a comic con t-shirt and they say they've no mediums left.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Roaster wrote: »
    Had a great day and don't want to moan but when you're leaving at 3:30pm on the Saturday and go over to buy a comic con t-shirt and they say they've no mediums left.

That reminds me, passing the official tshirt stand, a woman brought one back saying it was actually a 2014 tshirt and the staff told her 'yeah, some of them are 2014 ones' :/

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness I'm noticing a few complaints about pop pricing. I'm into these myself. The very basic range of stuff goes for €14.99. And the very basic range is very basic and common as they come.

I an only say from my own experience in one visit to big bang, but they had pop in the €20 range, which are typically the recolours and alternatives. They are typically priced above the common ones. I buy a lot in from the states, where the price ranges are somewhat similar.

Just something worth remembering, there is different tiers of pop vinyl that command different prices. Someone on Facebook had a similar complaint about pop pricing for €20, and the one he took a photo off, retails for €35 , and it was a good deal.

The vendors being overpriced comment could have been clearer, guys charging eBay prices for comics was my main gripe, no real discounts or specials on any items neither pissed me off, do a deal get your store name out to new customers and then reel them in would be my tactic, €20 for Fry was a bit **** but even if it had been €25/30 I would have bought it to get it signed as stuidly there was little to no Futurama stuff on sale on Sunday as far as I could see.

I bought a gitd Ant-Man last month for €13 in FP, got a Battle Scar Tyrion and Dumbo for €7.50 each in HMV a few months back in their sale and a Heath Ledger type Joker in Smyths for €14.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Anything with a Guests name on it was going to be costly.
    It's the same for most shows.

But there in lies the game. I'd say most of the stores where holding onto the figures for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

gerarda wrote: »
    Had a great day there! (That was me dressed in the SWAT gear)

A security company crest on it???

• Advertisement

Roaster wrote: »

Youngfella was gutted. Got a red one myself.Class t-shirt

Did anyone see that guy dressed as pyramid head on Saturday? Scary stuff. Brilliant.

The youngfella dressed as Admiral General Aladeen. :)

Can anyone recommend a good or the best comic con to go to in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

It wasn't on this year but if DICE is back next year, I'd say that'll be the one to go for.

Thought Bubble in Leeds is by far my Favourite Convention of the comic variety.
    https://www.facebook.com/thoughtbubblefestival?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

CZ 453 wrote: »
    A security company crest on it???

No, Los Angeles SWAT vest with a black beret and MP5 airsoft rifle (minus the magazine of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

gerarda wrote: »
    No, Los Angeles SWAT vest with a black beret and MP5 airsoft rifle (minus the magazine of course).

Mag that **** up son

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I didn't attend MCM myself this weekend, did anyone here attend and if so, what was it like?

I didn't attend MCM myself this weekend, did anyone here attend and if so, what was it like?

The beer festival was fun. And had a lot of the cosplayers in attendance. Was there for work.
    Crowd didn't seem big on Saturday. But the rugby and protest may have been a factor

The Revenue popped out to say hello to a few traders from the UK. Never seen that happen at a show before. Wonder if anyone got fined.
    Mixed reports from the mates that attended.
    Twin of whom did a half an hour then joined me in beerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Smertulitanus

celebs asking us to pay them €20 to take a photo with them with our own camera must be mad , they make millions everyday and they authority to ask us min wage citizens to pay them €20 to take a photo with them, come on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

celebs asking us to pay them €20 to take a photo with them with our own camera must be mad , they make millions everyday and they authority to ask us min wage citizens to pay them €20 to take a photo with them, come on

They don't make "millions every day" and that's not what "authority" means.

In other words close your arse, words are falling out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Realistically they don't make millions each day and, as with anything that involves money, if you don't agree with the price then simply don't pay it. Voting with wallets is what impacts

• Registered Users Posts: 1 squindee

MarkHall wrote: »
    They both have their ups and downs.
    Before we start I like my comic cons to have Comic people at em. Not a fan of TV /Movie folks who charge for autographs and pics.
    Just a pet peeve. Dislike how the american style events are becoming more commonplace here.
    But at the end of the Day Both events got a few thousand people who wouldn't normally do the comic scene to come out for the day. Which can't be a bad thing. Can it?

Both are fine if you like the Cosplay aspect. Lots of people to pose with at both.
    Prizegiving issues aside.

Not a big fan of MCM it's very much a cookie cutter of a convention. They have a formula that works and can drop it anywhere there looks to be money. They don't really treat the Comic side of the show well from what I've seen with Comic pros being put into what they call a Comic Village.

The only reason its here is because DCC showed there was a potential market.

DCC has a bit interactive fun to it and if you got tired of the main hall at previous events you could go outside to the grass for some Zombie nerf hunting, or some archery tag.
    Not sure how that will be done in the Convention center. But I've heard The Zombie lads are cooking up something special this year.

If you had to chose one I'd say support Local and go with DCC.
    And if you are. Prebooking the tickets is a smart move. They sold out on the door both days last year.

Neither have a Patch on Thought Bubble. Which is in Leeds and the best Comic convention in Europe.
    What's the story with the crappy superhero convention in the Clarion Hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

squindee wrote: »
    What's the story with the crappy superhero convention in the Clarion Hotel?

Aimed purely at Kids from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

MCM is far superior. DCC this year was absolute rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

CptSternn wrote: »

How so? Was considering going tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

How so? Was considering going tomorrow...

Thought today was far better than last year to be honest. Never been to the MCM one though, so can't compare. It probably depends on what you want from the day I suppose.

• Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Haven't been to MCM but having a great time at DCC. Even the friend who I brought along (wouldn't be into comics) said it was a really good event.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I definitely didn't enjoy it all that much this year tbh. MCM is all about buying but tickets are cheap enough and you go in expecting that.

DCC was a much more interactive event up until this year. Hardly any panels, and the ones they had weren't very good. Sets were much smaller and really lacked the interactive element with only a few open for photo ops. Guests were okay but have greatly veered towards tv in the last two years. Also compared to previous years I've found that much of the merchandise has an even larger mark up then expected.

DCC used to be my favourite con and I've gone every year since it started but I'm doubtful that I will even bother going next year.

And my iPhone was robbed while there. The convention staff were pretty helpful, DCC volunteers weren't great but most of them looked very very young.

Edited to add: I only went Saturday this year and had a normal advanced purchase ticket for both cons.

Advertisement