Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move up North?

Options

Comments

That sounds more like you were the problem than Belfast

How was I the problem?

The majority of people (even those who are not Irish) didn't like the atmosphere of the place once we left the area around the university (which was fine).

Its not imagination like some are trying to say, its a fact.

I will happily walk around cork, Dublin or Galway city centre alone at night. I would not do it in a fit in Belfast city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Somebodies gonna get a call from the irony police.

At least it's not the Norn Irony police. They kick the head of you if they think you're kafflik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

How was I the problem?

The majority of people (even those who are not Irish) didn't like the atmosphere of the place once we left the area around the university (which was fine).

I certainly believe it's a fact you felt uneasy and looked over your shoulder. Why you felt uneasy was more than likely all in your head though. I'm from Crossmaglen, regularly go up to Belfast, went to uni in coleraine and in more than 10 years have never had any issue apart from the occasional idiot; a species you will find in Belfast, Derry, Dublin, Galway, London, New York and Timbuktu.

Tell me, what exactly happened to make a group of 30 people feel like they had to circle the wagons when walking round belfast?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Went up to Belfast on a stag night with a group of about 10 lads from Dublin about 3 years. Zero trouble, nice change from the cities here. One problem, which is pretty big if you are heading there to drink - all pubs stop serving alcohol at about 11:50 pm, clubs and late bars are the same. Some clubs are still open but they just sell soft drinks.
    Anyone know if that is still the case?

How long ago was this? Pubs generally stop serving at one (unless you know which bar to go to and they dont stop serving at all) Been a while since I was in a club but I generally remember them stopping serving at 2 and closing at 3 but I understand there has been some sort of row over that lately between the govt. and cub owners/publicans etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Roads are a thousand times better in the north. Potholes are as rare as a gay bar in Roscommon.

• Advertisement

Tell me, what exactly happened to make a group of 30 people feel like they had to circle the wagons when walking round belfast?

I wasn't walking around in the big group, only if we were going to social events after the days work. But would always have been in groups of 5 or 6 etc.

Nothing happened but you get a feel and a vibe from a place and the feel I got was something could happen very fast. I certainly did not feel comfortable stopped at lights or driving narrow streets etc in my irish reg car particularly as its very easy to turn a corner and end up in a place you really shouldn't be.

I was following the sat nav for my hotel and ended up down Sandy row without realising it, in an Irish reg car, stopped at lights outside a Rangers supporters pub (which two woman had been murdered in a few months earlier according to a paper I was reading that weekend). I put it this way I was ready to floor the car red light or no red light....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

awec wrote: »
    Eh?

That isn't the case now and it wasn't the case 3 years ago either. Places will sell booze up until 1am, some places will stop selling about 15 minutes before that in an effort to get people out.

The laws are not as liberal as Britain no.
    It definitely was the case a few years ago. I'll check the time, i posted in the northern Ireland or Belfast section of boards to find out what pubs to go to.
    One nightclub was known to serve drink after hours so we went there. Has a psni officer at the bar! Taxi drivers were going mad over it and were blaming religious politicians for bringing in the rule. Could be gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

I'm from the North, lived in Dublin for 2 years.
    Dublin is a nice place to visit for a pint or two, Belfast is a better place to live. Just pick your area carefully...

Roads are a thousand times better in the north. Potholes are as rare as a gay bar in Roscommon.

This is one of those weird urban myths like certain people's eyes being close together. There are some great roads in the north and some atrocious roads; same as in the south. It depends a lot on the local council's resources and Regional Development budget allocations.
    We've got some country roads in south Armagh that would make the back roads of west cork seem like a relaxing place to take a high speed jaunt in your suspensionless tractor.

You hear a lot of waffle about the differences north and south but in truth, when it comes to day to day life, theyre no more profound than the differences between Dublin and Galway or Donegal and Cork or Kilkenny and Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Roads are a thousand times better in the north.

In the 80s perhaps.

• Advertisement

I wasn't walking around in the big group, only if we were going to social events after the days work. But would always have been in groups of 5 or 6 etc.

Nothing happened but you get a feel and a vibe from a place and the feel I got was something could happen very fast. I certainly did not feel comfortable stopped at lights or driving narrow streets etc in my irish reg car particularly as its very easy to turn a corner and end up in a place you really shouldn't be.

I was following the sat nav for my hotel and ended up down Sandy row without realising it, in an Irish reg car, stopped at lights outside a Rangers supporters pub (which two woman had been murdered in a few months earlier according to a paper I was reading that weekend). I put it this way I was ready to floor the car red light or no red light....

1 - so it was all in your head

2 - How long ago was this?

1 - so it was all in your head

2 - How long ago was this?

Sorry I remembered incorrectly they were badly beaten not killed, apologies for that.

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/northern-ireland/girls-battered-at-rangers-club

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How was I the problem?

I will happily walk around cork, Dublin or Galway city centre alone at night. I would not do it in a fit in Belfast city centre.

Belfast is a much safer city than Dublin at night.

Can't comment on Galway or Cork but you won't see junkies dandering around Belfast City centre.

awec wrote: »
    Belfast is a much safer city than Dublin at night.

Can't comment on Galway or Cork but you won't see junkies dandering around Belfast City centre.

Ok maybe Dublin isn't the most at ease place to walk at night but Cork and Galway I regularly walk in alone at night.

I'd still feel much safer than belfast though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

No they're not. And Roscommon would probably be the most liberal constituency in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sandy Row is an arterial road, nobody there gives a flying fluck what reg is on your car.

Anyways ignoring the stupid roads comment I would actually like to have a weekend cottage up north. Love the area around carlingford lough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Are you describing the north or south?

Yeah the south is well known for its sectarian violence, its dependence on an enormous public sector funded by our overlords in London and our of course everyone remembers when Leo Varadkar our health minister came out earlier this year as believing in young Earth creationism.

I can totally see how you'd be confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

"The UVF is today unmasked as a sickening, sectarian, teen-bashing, women beating mob."

God bless the Sunday World for doing the investigative reporting nobody else dares to. Shocking discovery made in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

I lived there in the past. Spent most of my time in Protestant areas/towns people were very nice, stand offish at first though ! you get scumbags everywhere, Belfast is no exception to that any more than Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc.

In fact I no many people for Norn Iron who wouldn't dare cross the border because they think it's to dangerous down South lol how do you like that for irony ?

Would I want to raise children there ? No. Great place to visit or to work for a year or so but I wouldn't put roots down there.

• Advertisement

So much discussion abut the dangers of places like Belfast seems to boil down to "vibes", "tension", "feeling" and "atmosphere".

If you're not actually strolling through Loyalist areas when you're feeling this, you're probably just being a bit paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    "The UVF is today unmasked as a sickening, sectarian, teen-bashing, women beating mob."

God bless the Sunday World for doing the investigative reporting nobody else dares to. Shocking discovery made in 2013.

Aye, somebody must have been eyeing up a Pulitzer with that one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Yeah the south is well known for its sectarian violence, its dependence on an enormous public sector funded by our overlords in London and our of course everyone remembers when Leo Varadkar our health minister came out earlier this year as believing in young Earth creationism.

I can totally see how you'd be confused.

Whooooosh.....there goes the joke..flying right over your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Whooooosh.....there goes the joke..flying right over your head.

I got the 'joke'. It just doesn't remotely apply in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Statistically speaking Glasgow is actually the murder capital of these islands and not by a small margin either!

Dublin - 3.02
    Belfast - 3.37
    London - 2.25
    Glasgow - 5.34

Dublin's ranking's almost entirely down to gang-on-gang drug crime and Belfast's is a mixture of legacy terrorist issues and a bit of drug gang crime.

All of those cities are still massively safer than actually 'murder capitals' and multiple times safer than most US cities.

E.g. : 58.07 homicides per 100,000 in El Salvador.
    St Louis : 49.93
    Detroit : 44.87
    Baltimore (not West Cork) 33.92

South Africa : Cape Town : 60.00

Interesting. London is a lot safer per capita than Dublin. It has just above 100 murders last year. About 1 per 100k.

Edit. Previous post said 2.25. Depends how you measure the total population I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Whats my being from Cork got to do with it? I went up there 4 or 5 times and didn't like it. Thats purely down to my experience there.

It'll just make it funnier when I recount it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Statistically speaking Glasgow is actually the murder capital of these islands and not by a small margin either!

Dublin - 3.02
    Belfast - 3.37
    London - 2.25
    Glasgow - 5.34

Dublin's ranking's almost entirely down to gang-on-gang drug crime and Belfast's is a mixture of legacy terrorist issues and a bit of drug gang crime.

All of those cities are still massively safer than actually 'murder capitals' and multiple times safer than most US cities.

E.g. : 58.07 homicides per 100,000 in El Salvador.
    St Louis : 49.93
    Detroit : 44.87

South Africa : Cape Town : 60.00
    I love seeing stats like this. You could not pay me enough danger money to move to El Salvador or some parts of Mexico.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I'd rather go live with some Cannibal tribal in the Amazon then have to live the DUP's bigoted bull****. If they they weren't there tho then yeah.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »

Thanks for clearing that up.

Advertisement