Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move up North?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

blinding wrote: »
    We will send the LGBT community up there first.

That will confuse them and lead to spontaneous combustion from the most extreme nutters.

The LGBT community will civilise them and then it will safe for the rest of us to venture North:D

To be fair, Sinn Fein and several other parties up there are very pro LGBT rights. It's just the fact that the DUP and a few hangers on hold so much power and are so anti-gay it's pretty sad.

I'm by no means saying the whole of NI has an issue with the gay community. It's just that one of the major components of their Government definitely has.

I would just find it more than a little stressful to know that those deeply negative attitudes existed in the corridors of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are the wages not alot less than Dublin for comparible jobs for example.
    Whatever about the subtle cheaper cost of living. Wage reduction....

Based on that alone, no.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

listermint wrote: »
    Are the wages not alot less than Dublin for comparible jobs for example.
    Whatever about the subtle cheaper cost of living. Wage reduction....

Based on that alone, no.

Cost of living is a lot lower. It's not subtle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

We will send the LGBT community up there first.

That will confuse them and lead to spontaneous combustion from the most extreme nutters.

The LGBT community will civilise them and then it will safe for the rest of us to venture North:D

I reckon the support amongst the general public for gay marriage wouldn't be far off the 60/40 split in the south. It's just that the DUP have a hardcore support base that oppose anything other than their world view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Lived for a year in Belfast. Great place: family friendly, lots of parks. Brother lives there now and had an excellent time visiting last weekend.

• Advertisement

I reckon the support amongst the general public for gay marriage wouldn't be far off the 60/40 split in the south. It's just that the DUP have a hardcore support base that oppose anything other than their world view.

Any referendum on the issue would pass. The DUP know this which is why they will keep blocking the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Not a chance. 1. Its an entirely artificial economy. 2. The sectarianism. 3. The savagely backward element of the population and political class. I just couldn't live somewhere the Minister for Health was a young earth creationist. I mean FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

We moved to the North from Dublin some 8 years ago, and haven't regretted it.

Haven't encountered any religious divide in all those years. We have never felt unsafe, be it in Newry, Craigavon or Belast. I also have never been asked if I am Catholic or Protestant.

We live in a very middle class Area, and People seriously don't care for religious divide much anymore, at least here. There are several local families who haven't even bothered to christen their kids anymore (from both sides of the fence). Daughter goes to a Catholic School, but has so far not been force fed any religious "rubbish".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No,I can literally feel the atmosphere changing when I drive across the border

You know that's all in your head, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I stayed in Belfast for a weekend a couple of years ago. Stayed in the Hilton for 100 pound vs 200 euro for the Hilton in Dublin, this was before the Euro went so low too. My mrs is black and I have an Irish name so I was on the lookout for any aggro or UVF/C18 types to attack us. Imagine my surprise when we just had a really good time with friendly people.

Did the Taxi tour and saw the loyalists in their natural habitat. Walking around in tracksuits and carrying shopping bags and all. Frightening. The taigs were at that crack as well on the Falls. Mad bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

awec wrote: »
    Cost of living is a lot lower. It's not subtle.

*ears perk up* Oh yeah? How's rent for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Not a chance. 1. Its an entirely artificial economy. 2. The sectarianism. 3. The savagely backward element of the population and political class. I just couldn't live somewhere the Minister for Health was a young earth creationist. I mean FFS.

Are you describing the north or south?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Went up to Belfast on a stag night with a group of about 10 lads from Dublin about 3 years. Zero trouble, nice change from the cities here. One problem, which is pretty big if you are heading there to drink - all pubs stop serving alcohol at about 11:50 pm, clubs and late bars are the same. Some clubs are still open but they just sell soft drinks.
    Anyone know if that is still the case?

Cienciano wrote: »

Its not..its been proved in this thread that the northies are waiting at the border with rocks and are chucking them at every irish plate that crosses.

c_man wrote: »

Cheap as ****ing ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its not..its been proved in this thread that the northies are waiting at the border with rocks and are chucking them at every irish plate that crosses.
    If people in the South don't throw the rocks back they will run out of rocks eventually and we will have some nice new mountains in the South:)

If people in the South don't throw the rocks back they will run out of rocks eventually and we will have some nice new mountains in the South:)

Surely the lads collecting the rocks in the south would send them back as the northern rocks would intimidate the southern rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

One problem, which is pretty big if you are heading there to drink - all pubs stop serving alcohol at about 11:50 pm, clubs and late bars are the same. Some clubs are still open but they just sell soft drinks.

Wow, that's pretty surprising. So they don't get the benefit of the liberalised opening hour laws in Britain then?

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Cheap as ****ing ****.

Straight talking, I like it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Nah,I wouldn't be the first to say it but there's definitely a different "vibe" up there

Nah,I wouldn't be the first to say it but there's definitely a different "vibe" up there

an imaginary vibe..created by all the car stoning taig haters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've been scared to go to the North because of this harrowing documentary about the place:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Surely the lads collecting the rocks in the south would send them back as the northern rocks would intimidate the southern rocks.
    No! Sometimes you just have to hold on to your rocks albeit that they are new rocks !:)

Wow, that's pretty surprising. So they don't get the benefit of the liberalised opening hour laws in Britain then?

Straight talking, I like it :cool:

http://www.daft.ie/antrim/houses-to-rent/belfast-city-centre/?searchSource=rental

I just went and checked because I thought I must be remembering wrong. I wasn't. You can live in Belfast city centre for cheaper than you can live in pretty much any Dublin suburb, no matter how run down or out of the way the Dublin suburb is. Go out of Belfast city centre and it gets considerably cheaper than that link even.

Rent is way cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Typical nordy attitude of denial and blaming the other party around here.

Went up to Belfast on a stag night with a group of about 10 lads from Dublin about 3 years. Zero trouble, nice change from the cities here. One problem, which is pretty big if you are heading there to drink - all pubs stop serving alcohol at about 11:50 pm, clubs and late bars are the same. Some clubs are still open but they just sell soft drinks.
    Anyone know if that is still the case?

Eh?

That isn't the case now and it wasn't the case 3 years ago either. Places will sell booze up until 1am, some places will stop selling about 15 minutes before that in an effort to get people out.

The laws are not as liberal as Britain no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I used to live in Coleraine near Derry. Wonderful country. I think I might end up retiring there at some point. Much more pleasant place to live than the south IMO. People are friendlier and the atmosphere in general is more welcoming.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

awec wrote: »
    Eh?

That isn't the case now and it wasn't the case 3 years ago either. Places will sell booze up until 1am, some places will stop selling about 15 minutes before that in an effort to get people out.

The laws are not as liberal as Britain no.

I remember roaming the city looking for a place that was open.

1am is poor tbh. We went up for some fun, it felt stiffled i would concur with the other poster

kneemos wrote: »
    Typical nordy attitude of denial and blaming the other party around here.

Somebodies gonna get a call from the irony police.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I remember roaming the city looking for a place that was open.

1am is poor tbh. We went up for some fun, it felt stiffled i would concur with the other poster

1am is pretty poor but people up north tend to go out a lot earlier than people down here.

People would head to clubs at ~10, and the night out might start at 6 or 7pm.

Advertisement