Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move up North?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I switch off mentally and literally whenever the North gets mentioned.
    Can't imagine what it's like to live in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

kneemos wrote: »
    I switch off mentally and literally whenever the North gets mentioned.
    Can't imagine what it's like to live in the place.

Same as down south more or less, except with more TV channels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Only if Dana and Jo "PrettyBoy" Brolly moved South.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Lost count how many times I've been to Belfast and Derry over the years and without a doubt they are the friendliest people on the island. Along with the cheap beer and the sexy accents on the females:D

The 24 hour Dublin to Belfast bus has been a great addition.

The amount of so called well travelled Irish who have been around the globe who have never bothered going north is incredible.

Pure ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

No. Been there, done that. Despite the lovely friendly people there, I have bad memories and don't really want to do them again. But it won't stop me having a short visit/holiday there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Anytime i being up there which is rare i didnt get a good vibe off the place. Not sure if id even holiday there nevermind live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

A place where a governing party sees it as fine to spew bile about gay people - not a hope!

While that lot are in office I wouldn't even spend a penny up there!

And don't give me the stuff about how the people are lovely : they elect and elect that lot. It's a democracy - the politicians don't get in my accident.

I find aspects of NI depressing - the same political cycle and squabble running on and on and on and on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

No, but that's only because it's too far away from all my family & friends. I haven't been up to Belfast in years, but I always thought it was a fantastic city. It has transformed over the years. It used to be so weird seeing the routine army patrols in their full regalia about 25 years ago.

Actually it has been too long since I've been there. Might give Belfast an oul visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I am up north

North of the South.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's probably too small I reckon. Belfast I'd consider for the right opportunity, but that's it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Lived just off the Lisburn road in Belfast for 6 months. Quality city!

Moved to Bangor for 4 months after that. Can't really recommend that hole. The looks that my republic reg got from the slack-jaws never got old. Serious shoulder chips there.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Lived there for a couple of years for college and absolutely loved it. I wouldn't be too keen on raising my kids there though, the dynamics are something I'd rather they didn't have to deal with as children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

If they changed their accent I would. Lurdle lur frostbit sichyayshun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's probably too small I reckon. Belfast I'd consider for the right opportunity, but that's it really.

Bigger than Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

People are friendlier up north, provided you stay out of the loyalist areas. There's less pretentious self-righteous liberals, and they have the only proper football championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

In the right circumstances definitely. Been up a few times and always had a great time. Especially like Derry wish there were flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm settled where I am now so no, but hypothetically, I probably would live in Belfast.

I lived in Belfast for a few years and I liked it and it's still a bit special to me. I visit often.

It's (and the people there) got something about it that's pretty cool and since I lived there, its improved in a lot of ways.

People are friendlier up north, provided you stay out of the loyalist areas

People always say stuff like this about Belfast.

If you're a student or professional in Dublin, you wouldn't say to your mates, right lads let's go into the most working class area we can find, roll into the most locals pub we can find and stay there all day.

So why would you do that in Belfast?

As for avoiding such areas completely, it's a small city. You easily get a handle on where's where in a matter of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Not a chance. Been there a few times and didn't like it at all. Place has a hostile atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Not a chance. Been there a few times and didn't like it at all. Place has a hostile atmosphere.

I'll mention that to the two Cork lads who play in our seven-a-side soccer on a Thursday night.

There's also a Dundalk lad who plays - but sure that's North anyway!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

anncoates wrote: »
    People always say stuff like this about Belfast.

If you're a student or professional in Dublin, you wouldn't say to your mates, right lads let's go into the most working class area we can find, roll into the most locals pub we can find and stay there all day.

So why would you do that in Belfast?

As for avoiding such areas completely, it's a small city. You easily get a handle on where's where in a matter of weeks.

Oh look, there's a portakabin pub with bricked up windows, an exclusion cage and a scorched steel door, let's go drink in there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I live in Derry and the ignorance of my friends from Dublin/Maynooth is shocking. They're always shocked when they come to visit and realise it's just a normal part of Ireland.

Oh look, there's a portakabin pub with bricked up windows, an exclusion cage and a scorched steel door, let's go drink in there.

Or they dander into a central, harmless aul fella bar and get a few looks, like you would in most places.

Leave.

Look around.

DID YOU SEE THAT PLACE. FULL OF UVF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

It would be best to move to somewhere like Strabane, Belcoo or Jonesborough first to acclimatise to the exotic nature of the place. If it all became too much you could literally just walk across the border back to civilisation.

Later on expeditions into the interior and the East might be in order.

this would also make double dole more practical by cutting out the travel costs.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    The amount of so called well travelled Irish who have been around the globe who have never bothered going north is incredible.

Pure ignorance.

Sure what's the point if its the same as down here? :D

Seriously though I've not been up North yet, just because it hasn't popped up as an option.

No ignorance involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

You'd never catch me going past the wall !! :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Most of the times I've been up there (work visits mostly) have been during the summer, and there is definitely a different atmosphere than you'd see in the rest of the island then. I wouldn't personally want to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Lived in Belfast once and never again, it might seem fine for visiting and I still visit fairly regularly but there is deep hatred in both communities that hasn't disappeared just because of the peace process and that hatred is still found in the younger generations.

Its not that long ago you had parents stoning kids walking to "that" school through "their" area.

I wouldnt let a child of mine go to a school in the north, the schools are the breeding ground for hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

John Doe1 wrote: »
    What about the DUP?

I would prefer to have Peter Robinson as leader over that clown Kenny any day.

No fan of Enda but he doesn't have the same propensity for hate as that lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'd say it was bit of craic in the 80s and 90s, but it's a bit boring now.

Advertisement