Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move up North?

Options
  • 28-05-2015 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

I've been somewhat surprised by people's reactions to a friend moving up to Belfast from Galway. Disparaging comments, vague allusions to getting shot and a general feeling that it's ****. Before ye start on Galway people, most of these doing the moaning are from elsewhere in the country!

Personally I wouldn't mind at all. Have lived in Dublin, maybe Belfast would be a change. WHat about ye?

Would you move up North? 359 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    33% 121 votes
    I live beyond the Wall
    66% 238 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

God yeah, Belfast is a great city. There's some awful stupidity down here in relation to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Friends moved up north not so long ago. Met with the usual remarks that you mentioned but they are getting on really well up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Been to belfast 10/10 would live again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What about the protestantarianism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

kneemos wrote: »
    What about the protestantarianism.

Did you not see the picture of Martin McGuinness and Ian Paisley laughing together. It's all grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm English, lived in the North for well over a year, had no problems up there. There are some great places to visit too. If I wandered round a rough looking estate in the North dare say it would not be as pleasant, but same could be said for my home town in England or plenty of places here in the Republic. Good, bad and indifferent everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Get it right, it's Norn Iron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

No,I can literally feel the atmosphere changing when I drive across the border

• Registered Users Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It would be best to move to somewhere like Strabane, Belcoo or Jonesborough first to acclimatise to the exotic nature of the place. If it all became too much you could literally just walk across the border back to civilisation.

Later on expeditions into the interior and the East might be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'd have no problem with it. That being said if I was of a minority group I think I'd prefer the south. There are certain parts of the north that aren't all that welcoming to foreigners, gay people and non-whites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Heraldry all over. Cats piss smell would be more pleasurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

No

But you'd fit right in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

As Ian Paisley once (thrice) said: Never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I'd have no problem with it. That being said if I was of a minority group I think I'd prefer the south. There are certain parts of the north that aren't all that welcoming to foreigners, gay people and non-whites.
    Or people from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How far north?

Or people from Cork.

Or Irish people in general. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I am up north

I am up north

Anywhere above Athlone is up north. Donegal is the most up north of all regions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I have before. There are much less foreigners up there than Dublin. Much more opportunities too.

Surprising how many people will emigrate before considering going north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Some of them don't like Mexicans.

Spent a couple of days in Belfast Last year for work, didn't like it at all. Felt on edge all the time and always looking over my shoulder and that was with a large group of people (30+). Wouldn't really like to visit again never mind live there.

Never had a moment's bother in Belfast and I've been through it all, Mount Vernon, Tiger's Bay, Twinbrook, Ballymurphy, you name it, I've been there at all hours.

Worst thing that ever happened me was got my back window in the van blew out in Ballyclare. By a stone threw up from a strimmer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Belfast is a million times better than Galway village:p

It is really weird hearing people down the country think of Northern Ireland as some alien land filled with close minded bigots. I am from Letterkenny and there are very little differences between people from here and say Omagh.

There is some of the most beautiful scenery in Europe there and some of the friendliest most straightforward people you could meet.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Wouldn`t mind Republican West Belfast or the Glens of Antrim , nice people in both .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Belfast is a million times better than Galway village:p

It is really weird hearing people down the country think of Northern Ireland as some alien land filled with close minded bigots. I am from Letterkenny and there are very little differences between people from here and say Omagh.

There is some of the most beautiful scenery in Europe there and some of the friendliest most straightforward people you could meet.

And then there's the DUP.

Ranchu wrote: »

There's cnuts everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ranchu wrote: »

What about the DUP?

I would prefer to have Peter Robinson as leader over that clown Kenny any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

John Doe1 wrote: »
    What about the DUP?

I would prefer to have Peter Robinson as leader over that clown Kenny any day.

Enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'm from the north, and would never consider moving up again. Just not an enviroment I'd be willing to raise my kids in.
    I find the mood and vibe to be very depressing most of the time. It's not a very "accepting" place.

Advertisement