Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Barbara - 23rd December 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Only 5 posts today I take it that means the storms ain't happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,228 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Only 5 posts today I take it that means the storms ain't happening

Or that not everyone is able to use their phone at work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pauldry

7 posts now

so if we post we make it stormy?

Do we want to?

pauldry wrote: »
    7 posts now

Do we want to?

I do* :)

*providing it does not cause any person excessive hardship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

pauldry wrote: »

I'd argue the opposite is true, based on the gigantic threads that were ultimately about non events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd argue the opposite is true, based on the gigantic threads that were ultimately about non events.

Energy can be neither created nor destroyed but can be dissipated pointlessly/harmlessly on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Energy can be neither created nor destroyed but can be dissipated pointlessly/harmlessly on boards.ie.

I wouldn't call discussion on possibly destructive or life threatening weather events on boards the pointless or harmless dissipation of energy.

Here's hoping a tree never lands on the roof of your car or something similar.

nagdefy wrote: »
    I wouldn't call discussion on possibly destructive or life threatening weather events on boards the pointless or harmless dissipation of energy.

Here's hoping a tree never lands on the roof of your car or something similar.

Here's hoping one doesn't land on your family. :pac: Merry Christmas!

Definitely dodging a bullet as regards the storm on Friday. Gonna be an impressive system north of Scotland from friday into Saturday. 950mb predicted. V tight gradient on its southern flank.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Definitely dodging a bullet as regards the storm on Friday. Gonna be an impressive system north of Scotland from friday into Saturday. 950mb predicted. V tight gradient on its southern flank.

Sure did as regards the strongest winds, still looking very windy across the country on Fri morning. The second chart shows how close the strongest winds are from the N coasts ( at the moment )

iozo3Me.gif

8bShsT4.gif

QnDwSbo.png

wyq7nej.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tight Gradient

mXCssvs.png?1

SRkgHGE.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I heard on the news that Irish Ferries have cancelled 3 Irish Sea sailings on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Flying cork to Newcastle on Friday avo. Any ideas what we should expect??

A lot of Geordies!

SNNUS wrote: »
    A lot of Geordies!

Well I never.

This is NO laughing matter me boy.

Here's hoping a tree doesn't fall on your house and your car and your dog and the just cooked turkey!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

SNNUS wrote: »
    A lot of Geordies!

Touche! But really what should I expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rocko

Will this storm affect transatlantic flights leaving from the USA Friday night arriving into Dublin / Shannon on Sat morning?

Touche! But really what should I expect?

Unsure, wind direction timing is fairly uncertain as of now.

I'll update tomorrow evening on the weather forecast for Friday at Irish airport's and the possible impact they can be had (if any)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dublin airport is likely to see delays due to cross wind and or diversions between approx 8am and 2pm Friday.

Dublin airport is likely to see delays due to cross wind and or diversions between approx 8am and 2pm Friday.

What is the exact wind direction expected? Changing to what? As well as wind strength? Maximum gust? When does the rain arrive?
    All these things play a factor into whether aircraft can land or not.

No need to worry people this far out when realistically we won't know until tomorrow night the weather at a localised location.

• Advertisement

12Z ECM has it as a right stinker for Friday but luckily not for Ireland. Wonder will the BBC R4 sea area forecast tomorrow night call for force 12 warnings to the SE of Iceland?

ECM1-48_usj1.GIF

matrix-bullet-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

flying out from cork on friday evening at 4. how likely is this to happen?

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    flying out from cork on friday evening at 4. how likely is this to happen?

I'd say fairly likely, but will update tomorrow.

I've see much more severe storms maintain flights with no diversions and few delays, although I've also seen the reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd say fairly likely, but will update tomorrow.

I've see much more severe storms maintain flights with no diversions and few delays, although I've also seen the reverse.

I'm worried sick now about my flight as I have to catch a connection(I'm going Dub to Philly friday morn). How soon would people know if there is flight disruption? :(

I'm worried sick now about my flight as I have to catch a connection(I'm going Dub to Philly friday morn). How soon would people know if there is flight disruption? :(

Airports get special forecasts issued for them called TAF's, which updates 4 times a day. The 11pm update did not give much information on Friday morning, but by 5pm tomorrow evening we will know much more about the expected wind and wind directions.

I'd expect the Philadelphia flight to be fine, but I'd still not be fully sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I really cant see any flight disruption in Dublin or Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Crap, myself and my family due to fly from Shannon Friday at midday to NYC :(

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Crap, myself and my family due to fly from Shannon Friday at midday to NYC :(

Don't expect any disruption for Shannon at all.
    I really cant see any flight disruption in Dublin or Cork.

Cork may well have a bad crosswind later on in the day, unsure yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Don't expect any disruption for Shannon at all.

Cork may well have a bad crosswind later on in the day, unsure yet.
    Am I right in thinking Knock could have problems?

When flying in this weather is it a given that it'll be very bumpy? (Have ordered more zanex...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Burts Bee wrote:
    When flying in this weather is it a given that it'll be very bumpy? (Have ordered more zanex...)

I'd imagine so

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd imagine so

Great news. Thanks!

Great news. Thanks!

well i could have lied but im sure you ll be fine. planes are designed to be able to fly in weather like this and worse

Wind at Dublin tomorrow from 6am-8am is 210 degrees 25kts gusting 43kts, looking very borderline for anything arriving/departing. All depends on the condition of the runway I'd say.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    well i could have lied but im sure you ll be fine. planes are designed to be able to fly in weather like this and worse

No I was only messin. Much prefer the truth. Just a bad flyer...

No I was only messin. Much prefer the truth. Just a bad flyer...

ah its understandable and common. you ll be fine. enjoy your holidays

Wind at Dublin tomorrow from 6am-8am is 210 degrees 25kte gusting 43kts, looking very borderline for anything arriving/departing. All depends on the condition of the runway I'd say.

Can you see what it is for cork and Newcastle? Sorry, can't read charts myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Can you see what it is for cork and Newcastle? Sorry, can't read charts myself.

Latest available forecast for Cork is only going to the 10am-12pm time frame tomorrow, which is giving wind 240 degrees 25 it's gusting 45kts. Stobart (Aer Lingus Regional) ATR's can use RWY25 so you should be fine.

From the Achill Coast Guard

#StormBarbara & Christmas Period Update.

Friday 23rd - Storm Barbara will be knocking on the door with her very own high spirits from the very early hours of Friday morning. She will stay as an unwanted guest all day and all night trying her best to dampen the mood. Her gifts will be very high winds and lots and lots of rain. She will finally be sent packing by mid morning on Christmas Eve.

Saturday - Christmas Eve - Barbara's friend, Gail (Gale), will be arriving as a late guest in the evening of Christmas Eve. She will try her best to match her cousin Barbara but she won't quite make the mark. Her gifts of wind and rain will be somewhat less than Bab's efforts.

Sunday - Christmas Day - Gail will have lingered with us overnight and remain with us for Christmas Dinner and desert. She will however be called a taxi and sent onward by the time the evening films start.

Monday - St Stephen's Day - We can all catch our breath - have a tidy-up and relax as we are looking at a quite day - just perfect for the Lá an Dreoilín or the Wren Boys to venture out.

For the rest of the period and up to the New Year and beyond we have the potential of Barbara's friends lining up for a party, she's invited Conor, Doris, Ewan & Fleur to name a few. As soon as we get the RSVP's back from them we'll let you all know if they can make it or not.

That's all for now folks....

Gail? That's not a ME/UKMO named storm anyway.

• Advertisement

Gail? That's not a ME/UKMO named storm anyway.

It's a play on words. As in we will have gale force winds on Xmas eve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone reckon there will be any problems going from Edinburgh to Shannon at 9am tomm morn? Stobart

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone reckon there will be any problems going from Edinburgh to Shannon at 9am tomm morn? Stobart

Should be fine.

So its not looking great for trans atlantic from Dublin tomorrow morning, is it then? :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

So its not looking great for trans atlantic from Dublin tomorrow morning, is it then? :(:(

You'll be above the storm provided the flight takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

I don't mean to be a scrooge, but I'm coming on to read conversations about the weather, and Christmas storms, and all I'm seeing are questions about flights and ferries going ahead/or not.

Feel free to send the 'Bah humbug' jibes my way :)

I don't mean to be a scrooge, but I'm coming on to read conversations about the weather, and Christmas storms, and all I'm seeing are questions about flights and ferries going ahead/or not.

Feel free to send the 'Bah humbug' jibes my way :)

Its the weather we are interested in.......in order to travel. The same as anyone worried about this storm affecting their farm/business etc through high winds.
    Its all relative :)

You'll be above the storm provided the flight takes off.

That's the bit I'm keen on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭jirafa

#StormBarbara & Christmas Period Update going by UK Met Office for Cork International.Not sure if it helps anyone.

• Advertisement

jirafa wrote: »
    #StormBarbara & Christmas Period Update going by UK Met Office for Cork International.Not sure if it helps anyone.

1st attachment is coming up empty for me but went and had a look at the ukmo for Dub. Its saying 48mph around the time Im flying.....haven't a clue if thats a good or bad thing but thanks for the link!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement