Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding money and P C Knobheads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Nokotan wrote: »
    I remember being in Shelbourne Park a couple of years ago waiting to go to the tote. A lady before me was standing on a €50 note. I tapped her on the shoulder and told her what she was standing on. She picked it up and we both went on with our business.

To this day I wish I hadn't told her. Am I sure it was her money? Am I sure it wasn't? No but still....it haunts me.......
    "Sometimes when I'm on the street, I swear I can still hear the note flapping in the wind calling out to be spent." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Unless the person who lost it had their name written on the note, I wouldn't worry about it. :pac:

That happened to me once when I was visiting my over religiously spinster aunty in my teens. She saw me pick up an old Irish 20 note of the pavement, grabbed it off me, marched me down to the Garda station and told me to tell them that this note belongs to someone called W B Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A few years ago my wife was in a local shopping centre and mistakenly left a couple of hundred euro in an ATM machine, it was near the entrance to a supermarket.
    When realising the error she returned to the ATM to find it had gone, she went to the security guard in the centre and asked him if there was any CCTV footage, there was.
    She saw herself on camera at the ATM and walking away, soon after this bloke walks up and spots the money, pockets it and walks into the supermarket, takes the money from his pocket (near the fruit and veg) and counts it, puts it back in his pocket and leaves. The camera then followed him all the way though the centre to the carpark and into his car, the camera picks up his registration plate……BINGO!
    My wife then went to the guards with the information, the guards track down this guy and charge him with Theft by Finding or Stealing by finding. I wanted to punch his ****íng lights out.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding

All the money was returned. And the moral of the story is that you realies are a thieving scrote

I had similar happen to me. I went up to an ATM and there was €30 sitting in it. Previous person must have walked off without taking it, but there was no-one around. So I took it out (couldn't use the ATM without doing so), used the ATM and even hung around for 5 minutes to see if anyone came looking for it, but they didn't. So I kept it.

I consider it an Idiot Tax. If you go to an ATM and go through the whole process to take money out, and then walk away without taking the money... Tax. Though I probably wouldn't have done so if it was a few hundred like in your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Actually, he won't if there's a proper HR manager. If he is laughed at by HR or what passes for it they'd better get ready to face claims. Note plural: if baiting like this is fair game it will be rampant. The company will be found liable.

eh? Why dont you join us back here on planet earth please! The only person that is potentially causing an issue is the knobhead. Its none of his business what the OP does with the money and he certainly has no right to accuse him of being dishonest. If some idiot gets hysterical then that is his problem and no one else's. HR wont have nowt to say to the OP and if you think otherwise then you dont know what you are talking about. And if you do work in HR then I'd be a bit more careful about what you stick your nose into or you will end up in a world of ****e yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Penn wrote: »
    I had similar happen to me. I went up to an ATM and there was €30 sitting in it. Previous person must have walked off without taking it, but there was no-one around. So I took it out (couldn't use the ATM without doing so), used the ATM and even hung around for 5 minutes to see if anyone came looking for it, but they didn't. So I kept it.

I consider it an Idiot Tax. If you go to an ATM and go through the whole process to take money out, and then walk away without taking the money... Tax. Though I probably wouldn't have done so if it was a few hundred like in your story.

From what I know, most ATMs outside banks would actually take the money back in if you leave it there long enough. Not sure how long "long enough" is though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Azalea wrote: »
    Nah €50 is a lot of money to some people, and that part of Dublin city centre isn't an affluent one. I agree with the guy you work with about handing it in (not sure what "PC" has to do with anything - that isn't the meaning of the term). If it was a tenner, different story - but €50 is more than a quarter of a job-seeker's weekly income (to put it in context).

Yeah, if I could locate the owner of the €50, I would definitely try to. Wouldn't feel right about keeping it if I didn't try. Of course sometimes it's not possible to locate the owner. :(

Don't judge the OP for keeping it but his subsequent behaviour was a bit dickish.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

chillin117 wrote: »
    This morning at 7am found a 50 at Busaras Luas. Mentioned it to a guy(Knobhead) in work. He immediately jumped up on his soapbox and told me I should have handed it in, Store St Garda right beside you etc etc... So at 10.30 bought a sambo and said to him '' Only 46 left now'' and he blew a fuse ! So at lunchtime I topped up my phone and said ''Only 26 left now(Just to wind him up) and the ****er reported me for ''Not being honest'' to my manager ! So in the afternoon I got cream cakes for everyone and he hit the roof and walked out and went home ! What a bellend !
    That's it really, I work with a knob. 50 is not worth my while reporting so I just spent it, The ''receiving guard'' probably would have done the same.
    Would you just spend it ?

This provided me with a hearty chuckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

A few years ago my wife was in a local shopping centre and mistakenly left a couple of hundred euro in an ATM machine, it was near the entrance to a supermarket.
    When realising the error she returned to the ATM to find it had gone, she went to the security guard in the centre and asked him if there was any CCTV footage, there was.
    She saw herself on camera at the ATM and walking away, soon after this bloke walks up and spots the money, pockets it and walks into the supermarket, takes the money from his pocket (near the fruit and veg) and counts it, puts it back in his pocket and leaves. The camera then followed him all the way though the centre to the carpark and into his car, the camera picks up his registration plate……BINGO!
    My wife then went to the guards with the information, the guards track down this guy and charge him with Theft by Finding or Stealing by finding. I wanted to punch his ****íng lights out.

All the money was returned. And the moral of the story is that you realies are a thieving scrote

Wasn't in Ireland I would guess.

A. The Supermarket wouldn't let you look at CCTV Footage, data protection and all that.

B. There is no such offence in Ireland called "theft by finding"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

A. The Supermarket wouldn't let you look at CCTV Footage, data protection and all that.

But, but, he mentions guards! It simply HAS to be Ireland. It has to be true. It's so plausible!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Finders keepers, losers weepers...to the victor the spoils etc., etc., etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Playboy wrote: »
    eh? Why dont you join us back here on planet earth please! The only person that is potentially causing an issue is the knobhead. Its none of his business what the OP does with the money and he certainly has no right to accuse him of being dishonest. If some idiot gets hysterical then that is his problem and no one else's. HR wont have nowt to say to the OP and if you think otherwise then you dont know what you are talking about. And if you do work in HR then I'd be a bit more careful about what you stick your nose into or you will end up in a world of ****e yourself.

A worker has gone home from work after repeated baiting from a fellow worker. All it takes now for the **** to hit the fan is a doctors note from the person who went home with the words "stress related". HR will be in much more serious ****e than you can imagine if they do nothing. The OP would be well advised to cut his losses. Posting the episode (if it's true) on a public forum in a small country like Ireland and boasting about it is poor judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

brian_7070 wrote: »
    Best reply Ive seen on boards. Im definitely using that picture
    Haha, cheers. :)
    The reply is an old joke - a classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

A worker has gone home from work after repeated baiting from a fellow worker. All it takes now for the **** to hit the fan is a doctors note from the person who went home with the words "stress related". HR will be in much more serious ****e than you can imagine if they do nothing. The OP would be well advised to cut his losses. Posting the episode (if it's true) on a public forum in a small country like Ireland and boasting about it is poor judgement.

A bit dramatic that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

It happened in Douglas court shopping centre.And there was me thinking that I lived in Ireland, silly me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm not sure exactly, but it happened to me before and I realised it about 2 minutes later and went back to the bank where they told me that it was most likely taken back in and it turned up again about a month later in my account. I'd never heard of this before though and maybe it doesn't work on all atms

Happened to me before aswell. I was chatting to two friends and somehow took my card and left the money. It reappeared in my account a few days later which was a nice surprise.

Great stuff, excellent detective work by all involved.

My silly aunt used to carry her PIN around with her in her bag as she was afraid she wouldn't remember it (she was only in her 40s, not an old dear). Her handbag was robbed and I'd say the robber couldn't believe his luck. He stole a few thousand pounds. She couldn't do anything about it, as the banks do make a big deal of you memorising your PIN then destroying the paper it's written on. So, they were covered.

Nokotan wrote: »
    From what I know, most ATMs outside banks would actually take the money back in if you leave it there long enough. Not sure how long "long enough" is though.

There was no-one around when I arrived at the ATM (well, a few people walking in the distance, but not close enough that I could tell whose money it was), So I took out the money and used the ATM presuming someone would come running back for it.

But still, if you go to an ATM to take out money, go through the entire process, take your card, and then leave without taking the money, you kinda deserve to have your money taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Hahahahahahahaha. You really don't have a notion of what you are talking about. I can only laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sorry but can you pull your head out of your a$$ please. The colleague will go and get a cert for "Stress related"? Seriously if someone gets stressed over something so trivial then they couldnt handle having a job. There is nothing in any HR handbook that would side with the Colleague here, hes a knob plain and simple for letting something like that get to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

As I said... join us back here in the real world. Look at the context and try and be reasonable. Knobhead has no grounds for his behaviour and would be rightly dismissed if he tried to claim stress related illness in this scenario. He is overreacting to an issue that is none of his business and any reasonable person would agree. If you think the knobhead is being reasonable and that kind of hysterical overreaction should be tolerated then you need a harsh dose of reality. I have seen many people with genuine bullying claims get nowhere with HR even though there is evidence to support the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's not finished yet OP - use some of your ill-gotten phone credit to ring him and torment him further.

Could be a bonus €50 in it for you if you upload the audio on here.

Yeah, I think in Ireland it would just be called plain old theft.
    Penn wrote: »
    But still, if you go to an ATM to take out money, go through the entire process, take your card, and then leave without taking the money, you kinda deserve to have your money taken.

Are you not a bit mortified to be trying to justify your thieving? :o

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Are you not a bit mortified to be trying to justify your thieving? :o

Nope :cool:

petes wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahaha. You really don't have a notion of what you are talking about. I can only laugh.

I see. I wonder what this might be:
    "Health and safety at work
    Bullying in the workplace can affect both the safety and the health of employees. Under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 employers have a duty to ensure the health and safety of their employees in the workplace. Under section 8 of the Act your employer is required to“prevent any improper conduct or behaviour likely to put the safety, health and welfare of employees at risk”. Your duty as an employee is not to engage in improper behaviour which would endanger the health, safety and welfare of yourself or the other employees.

The Health and Safety Authority works to ensure that workplace bullying is not tolerated and that employers have procedures for dealing with bullying at work. It provides information and advice on bullying and is responsible for the Code of Practice for Employers and Employees on the Prevention and Resolution of Bullying at Work (pdf). This Code sets out guidance notes for employees, employers and trade unions on dealing with bullying in the workplace.

Your employer must take reasonable steps to prevent bullying in the workplace. There should be an anti-bullying policy and established procedures for dealing with complaints of bullying in the workplace. Your employer should deal with such complaints immediately. The Workplace Relations Commission has a Code of Practice detailing Procedures for Addressing Bullying in the Workplace."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/bullying_in_the_workplace.html

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gumbyman2000

OP you did the best (and funniest) thing you could have done under the circumstances! Hats off to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Act doesn't address the ancient right under common law to wind up prats.

So that still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

None of this happened, but yeah...no one would hand in 50e. If someone was looking around desperately in the area then of course you hand it back to them. But no one around?

What are the guards going to do, walk around the place asking people if they recognise this 50e note?

There's probably a limit where my guilty conscience would activate, and I'm not sure what the limit would be? 500? Probably not in truth, a grand. That would probably do it.

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote: »
    As I said... join us back here in the real world. Look at the context and try and be reasonable. Knobhead has no grounds for his behaviour and would be rightly dismissed if he tried to claim stress related illness in this scenario. He is overreacting to an issue that is none of his business and any reasonable person would agree. If you think the knobhead is being reasonable and that kind of hysterical overreaction should be tolerated then you need a harsh dose of reality. I have seen many people with genuine bullying claims get nowhere with HR even though there is evidence to support the claim.

To repeat again the original action of the OP isn't the issue. See post quoting Act of 2005. The harsh dose of reality you seem to favour should be on a HR department that has, by your claim, failed to do its duty.

Advertisement