Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 'revamping' the Angelus slot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

murpho999 wrote: »
    My mother is dead too, so what's your point.

If the angelus was taken off tv it does not mean that it does not exist anymore. You'd still have noon and 6pm to reflect and pray to them if you want.

Going to muslim countries and complaining about the call to prayer is completely different as that is something that is happening. If it's on TV then it will be in countries that are officially muslim and not secular.

The Angelus only offends those who want to feel offended. My point about my mother is the Angelus means something to me when I see it on TV or hear it on the radio.
    To you it means nothing so should be removed, but it is a mute point as RTE are not removing it.

Don't read the Irish constitution then, it offends you as well. It refers to Jesus Christ.
    The preamble states:
    In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,We, the people of Éire,Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ,
    Our constitution points to Ireland as being a Christian country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Want to know how many times Michael Nugent has been on RTE? Christopher Hitchens was also on RTE. And plenty of other secular and athiest speakers.

On programs directly aimed at the non religious or to provide a counterpoint to a religious issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The Angelus is seven minutes programming per week for a country where 84% of the population identify as Roman Catholic. If proportionate representation were made to accommodate the number of people in Ireland who identify as atheist, we wouldn't even be talking minutes per week, we'd be measuring the time given to programming for people who identify as atheist, in seconds.

I honestly think a lot of people identify as cultural Catholics only. It's your background but not what you believe type thing. And don't forget that a lot of census formed are filled in by one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Angelus only offends those who want to feel offended. My point about my mother is the Angelus means something to me when I see it on TV or hear it on the radio.
    To you it means nothing so should be removed, but it is a mute point as RTE are not removing it.

Don't read the Irish constitution then, it offends you as well. It refers to Jesus Christ.
    The preamble states:
    In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,We, the people of Éire,Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ,

The preamble is not actually a part of the constitution. It's the preamble.

The preamble states:

When the constitution was written Ireland was a Catholic country but times change and television should reflect that especially the state broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I'm Roman Catholic, voted for marriage equality, because there's a difference between my personal religious beliefs, and the Irish Constitution as it applies to all citizens of the State, both religious and non-religious.

I like seamus' idea of a multicultural, multidenominational broadcast too.

Exactly, but we often have people who say because you are Catholic you must be for the angelus etc and everyone else is just a minority and should put up with it.

It can be clearly seen that Catholics have a wide variety of views and can still support or oppose something regardless of their religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Kev W wrote: »
    Your argument was that if there are to be no religious programmes there should be no anti-religious programmes.

Where did I say that? Think you're confusing me with somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Where did I say that? Think you're confusing me with somebody else.

I see that I have. Sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Angelus is the TV equivalent of the human apendix (a useless relic from our evolutionary Catholic past).

Wake up and smell the roses, its now the 21st century and we ain't tied to Rome (or Donnybrook) anymore.

RTE should let the Angelus die, and I guarantee people will still take time out to pray, not necessarily bang on six pm of an evening, but Irish people will still pray as and when they want (without any bongs).

eviltwin wrote: »
    When the constitution was written Ireland was a Catholic country but times change and television should reflect that especially the state broadcaster.

84% of people said they were Catholic in the last census.
    Surely it can be argued RTE are reflecting this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like seamus' idea of a multicultural, multidenominational broadcast too.
    Just start the news one minute earlier and let various religions do their adoration in allocated areas such as churches or synagogues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The preamble states:

Who said I was offended?

I'm not offended by it but I feel it should bot be on state TV. One does not have to be offended by something to feel that something is not right.
    However there is a strong Catholic bias within RTE as evidenced in their news coverage (Every accident involves an interview with the parish priest, who most likely did not involve the person involved).

I'm not sure about the constitution but the preamble should be amended to a more modern one and as already pointed out no religious references are not contained in the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Daith

Actually it seems RTE want to reflect a muti-faith and no faith mixed society which is what Ireland actually is.

I wouldn't be clinging to closely to the census results.

84% of people ticked a box, it doesn't make them Catholic. What's mass attendance like these days, that would be a more accurate figure. Do you really think 84% of people pray the Angeleses?

So what air time do the 16% non Catholic get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The Angelus is seven minutes programming per week for a country where 84% of the population identify as Roman Catholic. If proportionate representation were made to accommodate the number of people in Ireland who identify as atheist, we wouldn't even be talking minutes per week, we'd be measuring the time given to programming for people who identify as atheist, in seconds.

Anyone who uses the 84% figure is deluded. If it were accurate the marriage referndum would never have passed and churches around the country wouldnt be reporting attendance rates of less than 30%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The preamble states:

If it's Christian, surely we can include something for the Orange Order in there before the news also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

VinLieger wrote: »
    Anyone who uses the 84% figure is deluded. If it were accurate the marriage referndum would never have passed and churches around the country wouldnt be reporting attendance rates of less than 30%.

You realise that's like saying that people who identify as gay cannot identify as gay unless they're having sex with people who identify as the same gender as themselves?

Would you say to a virgin that they can't identify as gay if they've never had sex?

That'd be just rude. I'm not sure they'd take you seriously anyway. Just like 84% of people in Ireland don't like to be told they aren't what they identify as because they don't meet your standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The preamble states:
    I have a huge problem with that aspect of the constitution. For example I could never be sworn in as President because I would be required to read an oath "In the presence of Almighty God". As I would be unwilling to start of my Presidency with an hyprociful oath the constitution would seem to bar me and any other non-religious and non-Christian people from office.
    I'm pretty sure we might be allowed to affirm rather than swear but that would probably require a re-wording of the constitution and another referendum.

My disappointment at this whole farce is that we are expected to be gullible enough to swallow that the Angelus "Moment of Reflection" being broadcast at midday and six is anything but the Christian call to prayer. A secular country SHOULD allow for theist broadcasts but to expect anyone non Christian to see the Angelus as being inclusive is ridiculous as me claiming that the chant of an iman (broadcast on the telly) is a moment of reflection for all Catholics.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Who said I was offended?

I'm not offended by it but I feel it should bot be on state TV. One does not have to be offended by something to feel that something is not right.
    However there is a strong Catholic bias within RTE as evidenced in their news coverage (Every accident involves an interview with the parish priest, who most likely did not involve the person involved).

I'm not sure about the constitution but the preamble should be amended to a more modern one and as already pointed out no religious references are not contained in the body.

A parish priest is often the person in society who is the person that people expect as the person who will comfort a family or person who find themselves in a difficult situation like a bereavement.
    In most areas of the country it could be argued the parish priest is one of the central people to that community given he will likely be baptising a child or burying one's dead, and will have to deal face to face with families who have tragedy in their lives.

Article 44.1 states: The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God. It shall hold His Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.

• Advertisement

You realise that's like saying that people who identify as gay cannot identify as gay unless they're having sex with people who identify as the same gender as themselves?

Would you say to a virgin that they can't identify as gay if they've never had sex?

That'd be just rude. I'm not sure they'd take you seriously anyway. Just like 84% of people in Ireland don't like to be told they aren't what they identify as because they don't meet your standards.

But you are using exactly the same generalisation how do you know which parts of catholic teaching those 84% believe in? They certainly don't seem to care about gay marriage or regularly attending mass so who are you to declare they all agree with the angelus either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Daith

What a nonsense post.

I identified as gay long before having sex. Being gay isn't all about having sex.

A parish priest is often the person in society who is the person that people expect as the person who will comfort a family or person who find themselves in a difficult situation like a bereavement.
    In most areas of the country it could be argued the parish priest is one of the central people to that community given he will likely be baptising a child or burying one's dead, and will have to deal face to face with families who have tragedy in their lives.

Article 44.1 states: The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God. It shall hold His Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.

I don't get your constant quoting of the constitution? That can always be amended, as recently happened with gay marriage and I'm sure those references will eventually be updated.

I think your viewpoint of the priest in society is dated and they have less influence in communities that they have had in the past. Certainly in urban areas. I don't think the parish priest where I live would know any of my family or friends or people that I know.

But you are using exactly the same generalisation how do you know which parts of catholic teaching those 84% believe in? They certainly don't seem to care about gay marriage or regularly attending mass so who are you to declare they all agree with the angelus either?

I didn't make any such claim?

All I said was that 84% of the population identify as Roman Catholic. If you believe only grannies and mammies in the household fill out their family tree on the census, then you're going to have to show something more substantial than anecdotes to back up your claims.

Much the same as the publican then.

All I said was that 84% of the population identify as Roman Catholic. If you believe only grannies and mammies in the household fill out their family tree on the census, then you're going to have to show something more substantial than anecdotes to back up your claims.

And you will need to come up with something more accurate than what was an incredibly weighted question in a census where agnostic and atheist were not even listed as options

I don't get your constant quoting of the constitution? That can always be amended, as recently happened with gay marriage and I'm sure those references will eventually be updated.

I think your viewpoint of the priest in society is dated and they have less influence in communities that they have had in the past. Certainly in urban areas. I don't think the parish priest where I live would know any of my family or friends or people that I know.

You contradict yourself. On one hand you say it is dated, but you also said RTE near always have a parish priest on when there is an accident.

Maybe the reality is the parish priest is still a central person to most communities in this country.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Much the same as the publican then.

There are no pubs in my local community.

What's mass attendance like these days? Do you really believe that 84% of the people in this country meet the criteria to be practicing Catholics? Being baptised and ticking a box isn't what makes a person Catholic.

• Advertisement

You contradict yourself. On one hand you say it is dated, but you also said RTE near always have a parish priest on when there is an accident.

Maybe the reality is the parish priest is still a central person to most communities in this country.

No I think RTE are portraying a dated image of Ireland that every community is closely involved with the church when the reality is different.

If it is the reality then Ireland is more old fashioned then I realised but I don't think so as was evidenced in the recent referendum where the vast majority voted against the church's teachings.

Is there a doctor? A doctor would have as much community standing as the local priest. Or perhaps a lawyer.
    I was being flippant about your reply, not meaning anything more than to show a little reality to your lionising of the priest. And I was off topic. Sorry about that.

A priest may be well known sure much the same way the person who runs the local shop or gaa team is, principal of the school, local scumbag family I know them all...doesn't mean they have any specific relevance or hold any specific position.

No I think RTE are portraying a dated image of Ireland that every community is closely involved with the church when the reality is different.

If it is the reality then Ireland is more old fashioned then I realised but I don't think so as was evidenced in the recent referendum where the vast majority voted against the church's teachings.

I don't think it is old fashioned. It is what most people want. A priest for example is use to dealing with people who are grieving. He is there for the local people to turn to in time of grief.
    It is good for a community that they have someone like this.

It is the same reason why most don't mind having the Angelus on everyday. A vocal minority will complain, the rest don't care or may say the Angelus.
    It would be people within the minority 16% that have a problem to the extent they complain about it.

As for the referendum, I am sure some reconciled it with the words of Jesus, 'give unto Caesar what is Caesars'. As in state marriage being state marriage and not a union joined together by God.

And you will need to come up with something more accurate than what was an incredibly weighted question in a census where agnostic and atheist were not even listed as options

I see, so you're claiming 84% of the population are also illiterate now? Because that's the obvious inference you're making there. As it happens my wife had no great difficulty reading the census questions and ticking the 'no religion' option for herself.

What's mass attendance like these days? Do you really believe that 84% of the people in this country meet the criteria to be practicing Catholics? Being baptised and ticking a box isn't what makes a person Catholic.

It doesn't matter what I do or don't believe. What matters is what those people believe about themselves, and if they claim to be Roman Catholic, and it turns out that 84% of people choose the same option on the census, it's a bit rich for anyone to be claiming 84% of 6.5 billion people all copied each others homework, or had their granny fill out the census form for everyone else.

Which sounds more likely to you?

A priest may be well known sure much the same way the person who runs the local shop or gaa team is, principal of the school, local scumbag family I know them all...doesn't mean they have any specific relevance or hold any specific position.

I think you will find priests are the people most involved in a large majority of funerals in Ireland, and are thus whether people like it or not central to most communities in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Erm, in case it slipped your attention, they voted for civil marriage equality, the oldest social contract known to man. If that's not old fashioned, I don't know what is!

Is there a doctor? A doctor would have as much community standing as the local priest. Or perhaps a lawyer.
    I was being flippant about your reply, not meaning anything more than to show a little reality to your lionising of the priest. And I was off topic. Sorry about that.

No local doctor. No lawyer.

So your community example is not really reflective of the country as a whole then.

I see, so you're claiming 84% of the population are also illiterate now? Because that's the obvious inference you're making there. As it happens my wife had no great difficulty reading the census questions and ticking the 'no religion' option for herself.

It doesn't matter what I do or don't believe. What matters is what those people believe about themselves, and if they claim to be Roman Catholic, and it turns out that 84% of people choose the same option on the census, it's a bit rich for anyone to be claiming 84% of 6.5 billion people all copied each others homework, or had their granny fill out the census form for everyone else.

Believing yourself to be something doesn't make it so. I could call myself Catholic, I am baptised. I haven't set foot in a church in 23 years though and I don't follow or believe any of their teachings so am I really entitled to see myself as Catholic? Or is ticking a box every few years the sum of it nowadays?

Erm, in case it slipped your attention, they voted for civil marriage equality, the oldest social contract known to man. If that's not old fashioned, I don't know what is!

Yes, the idea of voting for same sex marriage is an ancient concept and is fully endorsed and promoted by the church same as contraception, abortion and divorce.

• Advertisement

I think you will find priests are the people most involved in a large majority of funerals in Ireland, and are thus whether people like it or not central to most communities in Ireland.

What does that prove? :confused: They provide the service, it doesn't mean they are central to the lives of anyone.

So your community example is not really reflective of the country as a whole then.

It would be representative of large swathes of the country which are rural.

No im claiming the majority of people who ticked catholic would have chosen agnostic if they had ever had agnosticism explained to them and if it had been a choice. People in this country chose catholic due to ignorance, family pressure and so they hilariously so they could say they did.

84 % of this country are not practicing catholics by any definition of the meaning therefore using it as a figure to push a catholic agenda like the angelus is willfully ignorant.

Yes, the idea of voting for same sex marriage is an ancient concept and is fully endorsed and promoted by the church same as contraception, abortion and divorce.

What has same sex civil marriage got to do with the church?

Or do you think other people besides yourself can't tell the difference either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I don't think it is old fashioned. It is what most people want. A priest for example is use to dealing with people who are grieving. He is there for the local people to turn to in time of grief.
    It is good for a community that they have someone like this.

It is the same reason why most don't mind having the Angelus on everyday. A vocal minority will complain, the rest don't care or may say the Angelus.
    It would be people within the minority 16% that have a problem to the extent they complain about it.

As for the referendum, I am sure some reconciled it with the words of Jesus, 'give unto Caesar what is Caesars'. As in state marriage being state marriage and not a union joined together by God.

I really think families turn to each other for support at times of grief. Interactions I have seen with priests involve arranging funerals and masses etc.
    To be honest I really don't recognise this Ireland you talk of and wonder where it is as you have no pub, solicitor or doctor either.

A vocal minority "complaining" as you put it is not wrong and is how all movements start.
    Sure look at the vocal minority of Catholics in the North complaining about rights in the 60s. Were they wrong ?

Your Caesar comment about the referendum truly defies belief.

Emmm cus they have opposed it at ever turn and asked apparently 84% of the country to do the same cus they are all avid catholics and seemingly were ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What part of West Clare are you living in?

Simple: People here are arguing that 84% recognise themselves as Catholic and living the Catholic lifestyle as promoted by the church and would want the Angelus on TV.

However, the church tells it's flock to vote No in the referendum.

62% of voters defy this and vote yes. Something is wrong there and makes me think that the 84% figure is incorrect.

What does that prove? :confused: They provide the service, it doesn't mean they are central to the lives of anyone.

The service they provide is central to a lot of people in this country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement