Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winds Likely Thursday 5th Dec Morning (Northern areas most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Was a typo from what Im reading online now , think it was a lot lower than that

Yeah apparently it was 114 instead of 140

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Pretty harsh here in Swords. Was walking into work again today and at times it was quite an effort to actually move forward :D

The Luas in Sandyford lurched alarmingly in one gust. You don't expect that of rolling stock, however, it was stationary, and the doors were open on the windward side. A good indication of how streamlined they normally are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Was a typo from what Im reading online now , think it was a lot lower than that

123kt (141mph) gust was recorded there. It's automated output. Of course its on the top of a mountain though...

wind-speeds-at-0600-utc-on-thu-5-december-2013.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very high offshore seas here at Dun Laoghaire, maybe force 6 or 7 on the bay. Winds feel much more sustained than gusty.

The people of Scotland shouldnt worry, Schafernaker will just give the storm the finger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

123kt (141mph) gust was recorded there. It's automated output. Of course its on the top of a mountain though...

A force 18 gust...not to be sneezed at! :P

Malin Head gusting 69 knots at 0900.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still very stormy in Castlebar, any idea of how much longer this will last and will we see winds grow stronger again? The power is out in parts of Westport as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A few loud gusts but nothing sustained.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A force 18 gust...not to be sneezed at! :P

Malin Head gusting 69 knots at 0900.

Yep, would blow yer hat off alright.

Second highest gust was 137mph at Cairnwell.

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/overnight-wind-and-rainfall-data-4-to-5-december-2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

In Balbriggan, North County Dublin and probably the worst gusts I have heard in a long time.
    I put a breeze block on top of the bins to stop from being blown down and it didnt work so put 2 on it.
    Very unscientific but its all I got..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Malin Head gusting to 70 knots at 1000

*...goes to check entry in winter forecast competition* :)

Malin Head gusting to 70 knots at 1000

*...goes to check entry in winter forecast competition* :)

I have to be "working" today :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

I'm concerned about coastal flooding by high tide with several metres above normal high tonight in countries bordering the North Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nasty rain now with the driving wind behind it. Looks rather tame on the radar but it's driving against the front of the house. Great day for the fire.

waterways wrote: »
    I'm concerned about coastal flooding by high tide with several metres above normal high tonight in countries bordering the North Sea.

Indeed, potentially a pretty serious situation for the eastern UK and coastal parts of The Netherlands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

waterways wrote: »

Not a problem for us in Ireland though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential rain and hail here in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sleet falling near malin head now , got a photo sent to me from a friend . Can't post from phone though...

Email it to me and I'll do it Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Indeed, potentially a pretty serious situation for the eastern UK and coastal parts of The Netherlands.

Code red for the north of the Netherlands ..Levy's will be closed tonight ..

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/NL-Netherlands.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not a bad day here in the south. Temp 7 degrees breezy not really windy very dull but no rain really yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Remarkable drop in the winds here in Dun Laoghaire in the last hour, the harbour and inner bay has dropped to about Force 3 gust 5, very little chop on the waves now having been churning heavily since about 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Was a tad breezy on the cycle in to work for 8am this morning, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rhyl in Wales.

article-2518340-19DEB61F00000578-34_964x594.jpg

Perth in Scotland.

article-2518340-19DE524700000578-616_964x642.jpg

Whitehaven Harbour.

article-2518340-19DE618B00000578-764_964x1161.jpg

The driver of the lorry was killed here.

article-2518340-19DE63F400000578-285_964x627.jpg

Ireland escaped pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Mother of God, those pictures are horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Looking at the last of those pictures I am stunned that anyone got out of the cars, particularly the car on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Calina wrote: »
    Looking at the last of those pictures I am stunned that anyone got out of the cars, particularly the car on the left.
    the car drivers were lucky that the articulated trailer was soft sided and not a container box.
    R.I.P to the truck driver

The tidal surge was worse than expected around some Irish Sea facing coasts in north Wales and near Liverpool.

BautHAiIcAAHpjN.jpg:large

Which has got to be worrying for the more vulerable, more low lying areas on the east coast of England and on European North Sea coasts where the surge will be even greater tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Note the top of the flagpole

New Brighton, Merseyside

RW-New_Brighton_Storm-7600-6376007.jpg

For more info..... http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wirrals-black-pearl-pirate-ship-6376744

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

eigrod wrote: »

Remarkable image. If it wasn't for the thoroughly modern wind generator in the background it would look almost like a painting. Nice rat.

Advertisement