Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winds Likely Thursday 5th Dec Morning (Northern areas most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

NIMAN wrote: »
    As someone who lives just outside Malin, I hate these types of conditions.

I remember that storm a couple of years back, when the average wind speed over a certain hour was something like 90mph (with Malin Heads biggest ever gust recorded at something like 104.9mph).

I was out walking around the house with a flashlight to check for damage. That was a scary night.

I think the highest is 112mph Hurricane Debbie 1961 and 1998 hit 110mph. Off the top of my head could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yea wind has just begun here in Meath. Can hear it getting gustier the past half hour. I'm looking forward to tomorrow actually. A little change s nice for a short time. Roll on the wind, feels like ages ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Wind really picked up here Larne on east coast of NI in last 20mins.

From calm to gusty winds

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Calm here in south Kerry but out of nowhere there are some severe gusts, Very strange indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The wind is really roaring here in Galway city

From the 0300 reports:
    MACE HEAD W 36 Gust 47 knots
    MALIN HEAD W 36 Gust 57 knots

• Advertisement

Really picking up in donegal now. Can hear bins being blow around etc

As of 3am the highest gust in the UK is 101MPH Aonach Mòr (1130m)
    Highest low level is 71MPH South Uist Range and in the ROI Malin Head 66MPH

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Not too bad here yet, gusts increasing bit by bit, latest 34.2 mph, sounds worse than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Crazy gusts in Castlebar, woke me up, lots of alarms going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭worded

Major problem with wind here, sheets lifting, could have been the korma

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Gusting to 64kts at Malin Head now, windy but hardly unusual for December, shows how uneventful the weather's been recently I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I'm as sheltered as you can get. Max gust 24kts so far . Offaly North.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wind picking up here in last 30 minutes.

Malin now sustained storm force, 48 gust 62kt @ 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Strong Gusts of wind here in Portarlington, Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pretty wild out there folks, I'd advise not heading outside. Lots of things going bump in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just off the m50 and there was some cross wind, probably as strong as I ever felt on a road in ireland.. can only imagen what its like out west and up north.

Now gusting 50kt @ Dublin Airport (@ 7.10am)

Pretty Severe at Malin Head on 7am report.

50 gust 65kt

40 gusting 51kt Dublin Airport

Sustained level picking up now.

--- Wild out there now. If trees were in full leaf would be some damage, sounds like a train!

first go around @ Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nostrils

Lot of turbulence in Clare gusting 57 kt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite an electrified weather system (over Scotland) http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/ :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Went to Malin Head in the early hours. Absolutely insane! Recorded a sustained windspeed of approx 50mph and highest gust I recorded while there was 60mph. Standing up at the Radio Tower was almost impossible without the help of some of the abandoned buildings up there.

On my way back down into Malin Head I had to slam my breaks on, but couldn't avoid a downed phoneline or electric line. Managed to slap right off the roof.

Heading back in a homeward direction between Malin Town and Carndonagh there was a downed electric line covering the road. Had to ring the police and notify them of it as it was just over a slight crest.

All in all, pretty damn windy up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nostrils

Anyone any feeds for Scottish airport traffic controllers?

Malin Head gusting Hurricane Force now @ 46 Gust 68kt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Went to Malin Head in the early hours. Absolutely insane! Recorded a sustained windspeed of approx 50mph and highest gust I recorded while there was 60mph. Standing up at the Radio Tower was almost impossible without the help of some of the abandoned buildings up there.

On my way back down into Malin Head I had to slam my breaks on, but couldn't avoid a downed phoneline or electric line. Managed to slap right off the roof.

Heading back in a homeward direction between Malin Town and Carndonagh there was a downed electric line covering the road. Had to ring the police and notify them of it as it was just over a slight crest.

All in all, pretty damn windy up there! Will have some video footage up later :)

I'll stick the popcorn on :)

My 5 month old black lad woke me howling at the wind.. Literally. He's never experienced strong wind since he was born really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Some crazy wind speeds for the Scots

Tomasz Schafernaker ‏@Schafernaker 3m
    via News STV "gust of 142mph was recorded at Aonach Mor at the Nevis Ski Centre at around 6am"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Malin Head gusting Hurricane Force now @ 46 Gust 68kt

Wow nearly 126KMH ! you were not to Far off the mark , has the worst of it come and gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

via News STV "gust of 142mph was recorded at Aonach Mor at the Nevis Ski Centre at around 6am"

Yes, 228 km/h gust. Of course that is at almost 4,000ft where upper winds will be much stronger than at the surface.

BatLSdnCcAAcoM-.jpg:large

I'd imagine things have peaked for the north coast here now. But the storm itself won't be peaking until later in the North Sea. Significant coastal flooding threat for some North Sea facing coasts, will be interesting to see how the flood protection measures hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Pretty harsh here in Swords. Was walking into work again today and at times it was quite an effort to actually move forward :D

• Advertisement

Was a typo from what Im reading online now , think it was a lot lower than that

Advertisement