Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deceitful phone call.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭jmreire

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Same here and my work colleague got one ten minutes later.

I've got them too in the past, but just wondering if some how, they managed to hack your phone, and got your colleagues nr from that? Or is it just random selection? I've gotten several of them, and now I just block them as they come in. But the thing about it is , with all this technology, why are the scammers not being tracked down, and this racket stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I feel more scammed by having to turn off the ad-block to read that crappy excuse for an article, which revealed nothing interesting whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Who has a landline???

Why would anyone spend money on blocking, don't answer and no foul....

Simple never anseeia dodgy number.

I have a land-line.

It's OK to answer these calls the scam occurs if you see the number on your phone (in my case it was the mobile phone) and you ring them back. When it comes to Eir and Microsoft virus scams just spin them out for an long as you can it really pisses the scammers off if you pretend you're being sucked into their not so cunning plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

is_that_so wrote: »
    Can't you track call activity online?

Probably but I've just switched over to virgin media and there online account is a joke. Can't even log in

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Strange goings on is there anyone who *didn’t* get a phone call from the tiny island of Vanuatu today. And probably at the same time

Me! I told the cuzzies to leave me alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Who has a landline???

Why would anyone spend money on blocking, don't answer and no foul....

Simple never anseeia dodgy number.

I make lots of international calls and my international rates via my VOIP provider are dirt cheap. Some people have different situations and landlines can still make sense for some of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ugh. I got a call from the same number an hour ago. Last few digits are the same as the wife's so I answers. Only copped it when the full number came up but it was to late. Hung up after 3 seconds but I'd say I've been stung now. My next bill should be interesting

Stung! Can you explain ' I'd say I've been stung now' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Got the same call yesterday and stupidly answered without even checking on the screen who was calling, they hung up after 2 seconds and once I googled that it was from Vanuatu I saw the scam.

Good to hear I won't be stung and it would only be if I was also silly enough to call them back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

jmreire wrote: »
    I've got them too in the past, but just wondering if some how, they managed to hack your phone, and got your colleagues nr from that? Or is it just random selection? I've gotten several of them, and now I just block them as they come in. But the thing about it is , with all this technology, why are the scammers not being tracked down, and this racket stopped?

They definitely didnt hack your phone and they didnt get your number from anywhere. Their running off an absolutely massive database of possible numbers and they weed out the numbers that are not active landlines and trial and error calling every possible landline as eventually some old person will fall for the scam, there sadly still getting money out of people. There changing numbers often and as there calling from outside Ireland its impossible to block or track the calls.

Comreg, landline telecom companies and the Guards can do nothing, all you can do is ignore them and they eventually give up. Sometimes answering and pretending to be an absolute m*ngo gets rid of them quicker or better still something that makes a very loud sound sometimes gets rid of them

Advertisement