Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deceitful phone call.

Options
  • 16-10-2019 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I had a one ring call today from 00 678 520 1088.

Curiosity made me google 00 678 and discovered that it is international code for Vanuatu. Never heard of the place but further search
    found MTL blog :-

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/everyon...ally-happening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rang me too, I didn't pick up.

Stranger danger!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mearings wrote:
    Curiosity made me google 00 678 and discovered that it is international code for Vanuatu. Never heard of the place but further search found MTL blog :-

Amazing place, love to go back there

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Ugh. I got a call from the same number an hour ago. Last few digits are the same as the wife's so I answers. Only copped it when the full number came up but it was to late. Hung up after 3 seconds but I'd say I've been stung now. My next bill should be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The only thing they have is dodgy www suffixes and phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op that was me....

I've been away for a while now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Mearings wrote: »

Curiosity made me google 00 678 and discovered that it is international code for Vanuatu. Never heard of the place but further search

I got a call from there too , I think I've a cousin there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It must be the day for these calls I got one about an hour ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ugh. I got a call from the same number an hour ago. Last few digits are the same as the wife's so I answers. Only copped it when the full number came up but it was to late. Hung up after 3 seconds but I'd say I've been stung now. My next bill should be interesting
    Can't you track call activity online?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is your phone really old? Would have thought anything recent (android does anyway) says the country of origin under it when its ringing. I got the call today too. It said Vanuatu under it, not that I was going to answer that long as number either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You cant get charged anything for answering the phone.

The scam is that people call the number back, they get charged a big premium.

• Advertisement

Is your phone really old? Would have thought anything recent (android does anyway) says the country of origin under it when its ringing. I got the call today too. It said Vanuatu under it, not that I was going to answer that long as number either way :)

Which is deadly, nearly tells me anyone that's calling...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Scam alert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Calling from Microsoft to check your internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I got one too, didn’t answer.

It's the Vanuatu lottery.... You all missed out on it so bad, I've sent €3,000 to their bank for administrative reasons and they are passing over my winnings.....

Win win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Probably Andy Dufresne

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's the Vanuatu lottery.... You all missed out on it so bad, I've sent €3,000 to their bank for administrative reasons and they are passing over my winnings.....

You should get a few million vatu, easily, you ll be loaded

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Being getting scam calls all day from numbers associated with Ascension Island and Papua New Guinea. Wish I could block them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

A distant cousin lives there that I didn't know about. His wife just called me to tell me that he left me some serious amount of money. She took control of my pc after kindly helping me remove a virus I didn't know I had and set up the transfer for the admin fee.

Anyway screw you guys I'm rich now :D once this clears I'm out of here !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Being getting scam calls all day from numbers associated with Ascension Island and Papua New Guinea. Wish I could block them.

Various apps for mobiles available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

same here. Didnt answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Strange goings on is there anyone who *didn’t* get a phone call from the tiny island of Vanuatu today. And probably at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Our landline had become worthless because nobody rings it but scammers. But the number of calls per day was getting really annoying, often a half dozen a day. Finally threw some money at the problem and picked this up for £60 a week ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Cordless-Nuisance-Blocking-Answering-Black/dp/B0787G3VRQ?th=1

Actually imports your phone's contacts to whitelist those numbers to ring straight through. Then you can set it to screen everything else. Without ringing it answers, asks who is there and records it, then while they're on hold you can hear who it is and either answer or block permanently. There is also a large dedicated BLOCK button in case someone gets through.

Phone has been dead quiet since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The world's most Presbyterian country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Got one recently, Indian sounding fella but his call centre sounded like it was a double stacked cubicle farm, about 30 voices in the background.

Anyway the chap got quickly passed over to some brexit chit-chat that was on the radio's speaker (even .tv in the Pacific are tired of the brexitious).
    If the iPad is handy, scammers usually get a 30sec looped audio playback of ancient Summerian-autobot shoutyness, claiming to be their godhead (extract from the 4th dimension movie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Our landline had become worthless because nobody rings it but scammers. But the number of calls per day was getting really annoying, often a half dozen a day. Finally threw some money at the problem and picked this up for £60 a week ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Cordless-Nuisance-Blocking-Answering-Black/dp/B0787G3VRQ?th=1

Actually imports your phone's contacts to whitelist those numbers to ring straight through. Then you can set it to screen everything else. Without ringing it answers, asks who is there and records it, then while they're on hold you can hear who it is and either answer or block permanently. There is also a large dedicated BLOCK button in case someone gets through.

Phone has been dead quiet since.

Thanks for posting that. I'm going to get one of those!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Who has a landline???

Why would anyone spend money on blocking, don't answer and no foul....

Simple never anseeia dodgy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Moto G5 Android 8.1.0. Suits me fine. Smelt a rat as soon as I saw unknown country code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Same here and my work colleague got one ten minutes later.

Advertisement