Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOWTV Smart Stick - Deals in Currys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Are these any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Are these any use?

You don't need the sticks if you have another device or a smart tv.

The passes can be bought here without the stick.

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/tv-passes

Although the week's pass for sport is a fiver cheaper in Currys than through Sky direct.

Sports pass 1 week - €10

Whether it's worth it or not, is up to you. How much you'd use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

2 months movies is 24. It's 30 from nowtv

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Not a bad shout considering they are asking for 39 for the sports pass alone on the now TV site. Be interesting if the sports pass will include the bt channels that sky have acquired

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

720p? What is it, 2010 again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Curious if anyone has used the Sky Sports Mobile Pass from Now TV....5 channels for €7 a month. I know it can only be used on the mobile, but if the quality was ok then I wouldn't mind that restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

hjr wrote: »
    Curious if anyone has used the Sky Sports Mobile Pass from Now TV....5 channels for €7 a month. I know it can only be used on the mobile, but if the quality was ok then I wouldn't mind that restriction

Yes I use it.I have a usb-c to hdmi convertor so I can watch it on my TV. The quality on a big TV ain't the best but it's passable. Im on the 13.99 pack which I pay for using my three.ie credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

720p? What is it, 2010 again?

Where are you seeing 720p ?
    I have the stick and it is full 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

iHungry wrote: »
    Yes I use it.I have a usb-c to hdmi convertor so I can watch it on my TV. The quality on a big TV ain't the best but it's passable. Im on the 13.99 pack which I pay for using my three.ie credit

Thanks....do you find much buffering on it? Is it far behind live tv? I read somewhere it's about 20 seconds behind...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Are these any use?

I got one mainly because it has the channel 4 (All4) app and the one on my 'Smart' TV was ****e. Loads of great free content. Tou don't have to buy the passes when the free ones expire. I got a 3 month entertainment pass with mine for €30. I may or may not renew it but you can do it online and cancel whenever you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Where are you seeing 720p ?
    I have the stick and it is full 1080p

From the currys page: "Stream sports in 720p HD quality". Perhaps that's just for other devices?

I recall posting similar one up a while back, I ended up stocking up on couple of these. But I should have taken all of them, especially for the 1 month sports pass costing only 15 bucks :o

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057986044

From the currys page: "Stream sports in 720p HD quality". Perhaps that's just for other devices?

Nah, it is full 1080p. Even when I stream it on my laptop I get full HD

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They are clearing the stock of the sticks before the new boxes come out

I don't think the stick is going anywhere. The new box (which has been out in the UK for a while) is 4K. So I am sure they will keep the stick at a cheaper price and the 4K box will be a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭gussieg

Now tv apparently still streaming in 720p, but the stick is capable of 1080p. Netflix comes out in full HD, as do other apps.
    probably to make people not want to switch from sky subscription completely but get this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

iHungry wrote: »

Is this the Three pay credit.
    If so would you mind telling me the steps in getting this please.
    Have €129 credit going spare with another 20 about to go on tommorw

Well maybe I am wrong. So I was convinced that the content was full 1080p - but per their site it is only 720p https://help.nowtv.com/ie/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

Interesting however when I check the resolution on my TV when watching any sky sports channel it still says 1080p. I wonder if the gui is rendering in full HD but not the content, Hence the TV thinks it is full 1080p when it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Offers here too if you just want the passes
    https://www.nowtv.com/ie/offers

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

hjr wrote: »
    Thanks....do you find much buffering on it? Is it far behind live tv? I read somewhere it's about 20 seconds behind...

Its very reliable, I never have issues connecting or losing picture when watching.

Not sure how far behind it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Can you buy this and then just apply the pass to an existing account and throw the stick away? I've seen comments on some of their one month codes before saying you can only use them on new accounts, I've previously had a short lived now tv sports subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Can you buy this and then just apply the pass to an existing account and throw the stick away? I've seen comments on some of their one month codes before saying you can only use them on new accounts, I've previously had a short lived now tv sports subscription.

I bought the stick with 1 month sky sports pass (for the full €44 from DID.ie) and there is no seperate code in the box for the pass.
    Its kinda baked into the stick so when you set it up for the first time you have to enable the 1 month there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

Cyclepath wrote: »
    I got one mainly because it has the channel 4 (All4) app and the one on my 'Smart' TV was ****e. Loads of great free content. Tou don't have to buy the passes when the free ones expire. I got a 3 month entertainment pass with mine for €30. I may or may not renew it but you can do it online and cancel whenever you like.

has the rte player and the VM player on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Pigsback are doing a 4 month sky sports pass for €78. Might be of interest to people on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Pigsback are doing a 4 month sky sports pass for €78. Might be of interest to people on this thread.

Is pushback complicated? Is it trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

IrishHomer wrote: »

Yeah I've used it a few times for weekends away and vouchers for restaurants and never had any issues.

I bought the voucher and will activate it on the day before the season kicks off.

Will watch nowtv through fire stick or PS4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

IrishHomer wrote: »

Is that a typo and you meant 'pigsback'? :confused:

If so, then yes its a reliable company who are around about 20 years. The offer is straight forward. Details below in the link:

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/427348/nowtv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Davy wrote: »
    Is that a typo and you meant 'pigsback'? :confused:

If so, then yes its a reliable company who are around about 20 years. The offer is straight forward. Details below in the link:

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/427348/nowtv
    Yes a typo thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Only €27 for 3 months from Now TV. DID sold off a load of passes a few months ago, 1 month movies + 1 month entertainment for €10. I've been using them for the past while. Got a 1 month movies for €4.99 offer from them by email the other day too. You can usually find a good deal somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Charlie19 wrote: »

This deserves its own thread in fairness. Great deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭ffocused

I picked up 2 of them yesterday for the sports passes. I have an existing account and got 5 of them around black friday last year which got me through last season.
    All the sticks i got last year has the passes printed on cards and i used them all without issue.
    I assume the sticks i got yesterday are the same, i will check when i get home later.

Advertisement