Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many units of alcohol a week do you drink?

Comments

0 some weeks
    1-3 other weeks
    once in a while a bit more but i'm not a big drinker. especially compared to most of these posts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bluewolf wrote: »
    0 some weeks
    1-3 other weeks
    once in a while a bit more but i'm not a big drinker. especially compared to most of these posts...

I'd love to be like that but I genuinely enjoy the taste of beer.

Or I love a whiskey and reading in bed, from the time I wake in the morning my feet barely touch the ground so this is my time to chill and unwind.

One thing I hate is smoking, I think that's far worse than a drink. There's nothing positive about smoking but there's a lot to be said for a decent pint (and a bowl of chicken wings lol).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well smoking helps some people unwind and people use it as a social crutch as well, theyre both equally unhealthy really if overdone, glass houses and stones and all that!

That you Robert McCall?

I had to Google that and a few Robert McCall's came back in the search, so I'm sorry you've lost me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

250-300 some weeks binging

Either drink nothing or very moderately seems to be the best way with health concerns and drink driving laws

It depends. Since Friday I've had two bottles of beer. I'll have two tonight. Then a pint Tuesday maybe. Some weekends I'd drink more. I suppose it's an average of 7 to 8 units a week.

There's a bit of judgement in this thread. Drink affects us all in different ways and for many it can be a problem. For others it's an enjoyment without any of the negative behaviours. Also the craft beer industry has turned alcohol in to something that can be experienced in a different way, people being interested in different hops and how the drink is produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I used to only drink 2-3 times a month but I'd have a feed of pints once I was out.

I stopped drinking a few years back, one effect I've noticed is my social circle has shrunk to sweet FA because I can't be arsed sitting in a pub stone cold sober while everyone else is getting gargled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It depends. Since Friday I've had two bottles of beer. I'll have two tonight. Then a pint Tuesday maybe. Some weekends I'd drink more. I suppose it's an average of 7 to 8 units a week.

There's a bit of judgement in this thread. Drink affects us all in different ways and for many it can be a problem. For others it's an enjoyment without any of the negative behaviours. Also the craft beer industry has turned alcohol in to something that can be experienced in a different way, people being interested in different hops and how the drink is produced.

See it as caring and caution, not judgment? A fine thing when we cannot express valid caution without being called judgmental :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Graces7 wrote: »
    See it as caring and caution, not judgment? A fine thing when we cannot express valid caution without being called judgmental :eek:

There's been far more than caution expressed in a lot of posts. Non drinkers can be extremely sanctimonious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I've had 0 units for the last few weeks. I will go on a fierce session in a few weeks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

Recommended not to exceed 25 isn't it ?
    I'd say on average I'd drink 10-15 units a week, maybe 20-30 over christmas.
    But still, I'd like to cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

lertsnim wrote: »
    I've had 0 units for the last few weeks. I will go on a fierce session in a few weeks though.

I actually managed to do "Sober October" this year, and I also usually do dry January ... just to make up for the over indulgence in Summer/Christmas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's been far more than caution expressed in a lot of posts. Non drinkers can be extremely sanctimonious.

But on the other hand, some drinkers are immediately on the defensive around non-drinkers. I don’t really drink but there’s no judgement here. My husband and nearly all my friends drink. But I’ve witnessed very obvious defensive body language from various people down the years when I say I’m not drinking. And some downright peer pressure: “Ah go on, you’ll have one”. “Ah, go on”. Followed by perplexed expressions. That’s equally as judgemental. It cuts both ways.

But on the other hand, some drinkers are immediately on the defensive around non-drinkers. I don’t really drink but there’s no judgement here. My husband and nearly all my friends drink. But I’ve witnessed very obvious defensive body language from various people down the years when I say I’m not drinking. And some downright peer pressure: “Ah go on, you’ll have one”. “Ah, go on”. Followed by perplexed expressions. That’s equally as judgemental. It cuts both ways.

So far in this thread we've had stuff like "retarded" and a blanket "ugly addiction" amongst others. So while you may not be judgemental, you're not everyone. Definitely cuts both ways but I was replying to someone saying there was nothing but genuine concern from non drinkers.

I'd love to be like that but I genuinely enjoy the taste of beer.

Or I love a whiskey and reading in bed, from the time I wake in the morning my feet barely touch the ground so this is my time to chill and unwind.

One thing I hate is smoking, I think that's far worse than a drink. There's nothing positive about smoking but there's a lot to be said for a decent pint (and a bowl of chicken wings lol).

Don't like beer, don't like wine, don't like most spirit& mixer beyond 1 drink. Flavoured cider is lovely but unless it's something like rekorderlig, they're all too heavy for me to have more than one... or even one full koppaberg.
    Sparkling wine is the business and the odd cocktail.
    I do genuinely enjoy a nice prosecco/cava/whatever which is why it's not 0 units more often

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I rarely drink any more, even on a night out. If I do, since it's so rare I like to have something like a good whiskey (Japanese is my favourite) or gin (love gunpowder gin), a good wine or if I'm keeping it simple I'll have Guinness. I don't drink beer or cider ever really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Absolutely. I don't drink much or often at all, but I love a nice craft beer. It's not always about getting drunk, I genuinely love the taste, and the taste of a nice red wine.

Lots of people enjoy drinking plenty of units without getting drunk like.

I've been off and gargle and sober a week.. Not this week, I mean a week in total since I started 30 years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Furanach vs Patww79. Enough to drive any misfortunate reader to drink.

• Advertisement

Furanach vs Patww79. Enough to drive any misfortunate reader to drink.

Bit late but your top class input is noted. Have a large slap on the back and the first of the many thanks you seek.

I never developed a taste for it, never found anything I like enough to make the inevitable headache I get worth the effort. I get lots of judgement for not drinking. I don't care what anyone else drinks or how much as long as it's not affecting them or others as a result. I have the odd drink but it's rare.

I used to just say I didn't drink but found that a few will always assume you're being sanctimonious and others will assume I've a problem with drinking and that's why I don't. Now I just say I'm on meds if it's someone I don't know offering, everyone who knows me doesn't offer. When I was younger people would put me under enormous pressure to join in the drinking, sometimes they'd just buy me drinks when I'd already said I didn't want one. Luckily the older I get the more accepting my circle is and I don't have that anymore. I've noticed more and more people don't drink these days, that makes it easier too.

Yes this is absolutely true. Non drinkers are also unfairly judged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Normally zero week to week, Maybe have a few at Paddys Day or if on holiday, nothing crazy as a parent so trying to set a somewhat decent example to the lads

Candie wrote: »
    I never developed a taste for it, never found anything I like enough to make the inevitable headache I get worth the effort. I get lots of judgement for not drinking. I don't care what anyone else drinks or how much as long as it's not affecting them or others as a result. I have the odd drink but it's rare.

I used to just say I didn't drink but found that a few will always assume you're being sanctimonious and others will assume I've a problem with drinking and that's why I don't. Now I just say I'm on meds if it's someone I don't know offering, everyone who knows me doesn't offer. When I was younger people would put me under enormous pressure to join in the drinking, sometimes they'd just buy me drinks when I'd already said I didn't want one. Luckily the older I get the more accepting my circle is and I don't have that anymore. I've noticed more and more people don't drink these days, that makes it easier too.

As much as it boils my shîte when people label every drinker as a raging alcoholic, I wouldn't be doing that either. If you choose not to drink then that's your choice and be proud of it. I don't think by the sounds of it you'd be lecturing people and it's nobody's decision but your own.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Oh I see old age all around me, but if you're talking about me personally well I run at a minimum 30km a week (I throw in a Parkrun.ie or charity event on the weekend), I cycle 40km every day, I'm a Judo black belt with a number of national championship titles and have represented Ireland.

My job involves an annual medical and a requirement to pass a fitness test, I'm also 52 yrs old.. So I'll ask you, what will you be doing at my age?.

I enjoy a beer, a book and a bowl of chicken wings (don't forget the hot sauce and plenty of salt) on occasion, what's your indulgence?.

I have my health issues but none too serious, at 52 and a very active life style most of us will.

:D

My question wasn't serious!

• Advertisement

oceanman wrote: »
    about 60 units a week on average, more at times like Christmas ect.

Really? Im just curious if a system can hold up with that much. Not moralizing. I'm in no position to do that over booze

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Zero, zilch, zippo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Most weeks would be zero. The ones in between I suppose I might see up to 10 units (assuming a pint is 2 units).

Then we get to December. Quantity consumed in December will most likely surpass the sum of the previous 11 months combined, it's a merry old time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This thread is flawed, proper drinkers are in the pub interacting with people, not fluting around online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

3 out of the 4 weeks of the month I don't drink at all. The other week I would have 5-10 units. 2-3 pints once a month or so.

• Advertisement

The thread got a bit moralistic. Never my intention. I was just curious about how many heavy drinkers are out there and yes I regard myself as a heavy drinker on 30-40 units a week.

The thread isn't all that moralistic.

It's pleasantly surprising to me to see how many people drink infrequently. Friends and colleagues look at me like I'm a freak because I don't drink much (three or four drinks once every few months), so it's nice to see other people have similar habits.

And for those drinking tens of units per week - whatever works for you tbh. If it's a regular thing you've been doing for years, it'd be no harm to get your liver function checked, but it's a social norm to drink more than 14 units per week so I'm not gonna shame someone for doing what most others do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Really? Im just curious if a system can hold up with that much. Not moralizing. I'm in no position to do that over booze
    well, im still here and in good health thank god.:)

Bobtheman wrote: »
    My question wasn't serious!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Down to zero. There's nothing like a 10 month old who's getting up at 6:30am regardless of whether you have a sore head, to get you to cut all the way back.

"moralistic" like "judgmental. " is in the eye and sensitivity of the person reacting.

These days we cannot hold an opinion that is strong and true without being called on it.

After seeing what drink does to my sweet kind old neighbour....

"moralistic" like "judgmental. " is in the eye and sensitivity of the person reacting.

These days we cannot hold an opinion that is strong and true without being called on it.

But the point is that not everyone who drinks alcohol behaves like your neighbour. The vast majority don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Only get out about once a month or so, I'd have about 8-10 pints before falling over from tiredness and drunkenness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Patww79 wrote: »
    But the point is that not everyone who drinks alcohol behaves like your neighbour. The vast majority don't.

Exactly, it's like saying "I'm coeliac so nobody should eat bread, it's awful stuff."

But your own posts were judgemental and you're calling others for being judgemental?

I feel sorry for your neighbour because he's obviously fighting with some demons and drink isn't good for him.

That doesn't mean other people can't enjoy it socially. One of my parents has been in recovery for over twenty years now (and hasn't touched a drop in that time, they're amazing!). That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner, or a few vodkas in a bar with friends.

The majority of people are perfectly capable of controlling themselves.

• Advertisement

But your own posts were judgemental and you're calling others for being judgemental?

You are misreading my posts. and you know it.. And am not calling anyone.or being judgemental.. We all and each have different ideas and shades of meaning, ah well, have a happy day and I hope you become less .... picky!

funny guy! roflol! Happy day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

repeating this as clearly needed

Love thee and leave thee....have a great Monday!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I lose count, every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pretty much zero most weeks. Going for a drink means getting people together who are long settled down and live in different counties, and planning it so I either get a coach to and from Dublin or arrange somewhere to stay.

Too much hassle most of the time. We try and do something every quarter but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think about 40. Usually confined to one day a week though, not a fan of multiple days on the tear. I'm well able for one good wild night, but long weekend, wedding and stag sessions absolutely slay me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I think about 40. Usually confined to one day a week though, not a fan of multiple days on the tear. I'm well able for one good wild night, but long weekend, wedding and stag sessions absolutely slay me.

These days I need a 3 day weekend to recover from one night :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

It'll be a sad day when I start counting units.

Same as that, I'd have a few pints most weekends, either in the local with the OH and friends or a few beers at home or if we're away on holidays etc, Friday and Saturday night only, would never drink on a "school night", work is hard enough without going in hungover :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

GoneHome wrote: »
    would never drink on a "school night", work is hard enough without going in hungover :D

Practice makes perfect! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

15 to 20 over the entire weekend. Dont go out much, so its at home, dont drink Monday to Thursday

Advertisement