Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still living with the Mammy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Live at home myself and don't really mind it (I'm 29). If I were to move out I'd be looking €1000+ per month rent and possibly living farther from work (work is only 10 mins away here). It doesn't make sense to move out of home just for the sake of it, and there is not a hope in hell I'd pay that kind of money when I could save it instead. I plan on saving as much as I possibly can. I have good friends and a good life by all accounts, and I honestly couldn't see myself moving out unless I met someone I really liked.

Admittedly my life is quite cozy but for the most part I'm happy and I couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks.

There is no rule, if you still live at home and like it, don't feel ashamed. Once you're happy that's all that matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

lickme wrote: »
    I pay 600 euro for a studio apartment in Dublin. I go back down to Waterford most weekends and stay with parents which annoys the absolute he'll out of me because there *****. All my friends are from Waterford and enjoy hanging around with them on the weekend.

Can I get a high paying job in Waterford and the simple answer is no So technically half living with the parents!

Nothing wrong with that, nobody would expect you to pay 2 rents!! When I go home to Waterford I stay at home with the parents too tho my trips home are not as frequent as they once were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I pay 600 euro for a studio apartment in Dublin.

A bedsit?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ethel

I don't think its nice to judge anyone living in their family home, because you don't know their circumstances.

I don't live at home, and I haven't since I was a teenager. With that said, the only reason why I was out at that age is because I'd a strict upbringing and generally speaking nobody was allowed in the home, never mind a boyfriend. Those were my parents rules, and their home. With all honesty, if rules weren't so tight I would have stayed on. I think its fantastic when adult children and their parents are lucky enough to continue living at home, without any hiccups.

It is a fear however, that some women have about men that have been living with their parents; That the man is so used to having his cooking, cleaning etc done for him that he won't survive a 'modern' relationship. Years ago men worked, women stayed home and cooked and cleaned and looked after children. Now women work too, and home responsibilities have shifted. The women scared of the guy living at home are afraid they won't be able to share these responsibilities and to step up to the plate in that regard.

Again, I'll never judge a girl or a guy living at home, no matter the circumstances. However, they should be carrying out duties at home as though they were living with someone else. Make your parents dinner. Ask if they have anything for the wash because you're putting one on. You're going to the shop, is there anything needed? And split bills. If you're at home because you're saving for a house you'll need to practice the latter anyway.

Candie wrote: »
    19 isn't a problem, especially when you're at college. It's more people mid 20's + who aren't making any effort to move out who suffer in terms of maturity from remaining at their parents house.

In what way do they suffer in terms of maturity? I can't say I see any difference between people I know living at home up to their early 30's and those who moved out for 1st year in college and never went back.

I think it's really what you want yourself and what you are happy doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Living at home when at college, when saving, caring for a parent or after something bad like a marriage breakdown is obviously fine.

Also don't think it's such a big deal in your 20s, even early 30s but after that age, it's a bit strange to be living with your parents if you have an income. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I wouldn't be put off by a man living at home, I would be very put off by a man living at home making no effort to move forward with his life and move out.

Why would you try to change him if he's happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I moved to Dublin when I was 18 to attend Trinners. Being from East Galway I wasn't exactly in a position to commute. While I wasn't surprised that my colleagues from Dublin still lived with their parents, I was surprised how many of them were still pulling on their mothers' apron strings. Intelligent men and women relying utterly on the largesse of their parents for things like lifts and money.

I don't think it's any coincidence that those of us who excelled in our careers were all from the country. Moving out and being independent at that age gives you an opportunity to grow as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I moved to Dublin when I was 18 to attend Trinners. Being from East Galway I wasn't exactly in a position to commute. While I wasn't surprised that my colleagues from Dublin still lived with their parents, I was surprised how many of them were still pulling on their mothers' apron strings. Intelligent men and women relying utterly on the largesse of their parents for things like lifts and money.

I don't think it's any coincidence that those of us who excelled in our careers were all from the country. Moving out and being independent at that age gives you an opportunity to grow as a person.

I think it depends on whether you get a grant for University Education or not....

City dwellers are low on the list for grants...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

I'm 25 now..Moved out when I was 17 for college but moved back home when I was 23 because I just wouldn't be able to afford rent and pay for fuel for my 100 mile a day commute..

Currently saving to be able to buy my own place but saying that my mam gets 450e a month off me to help with bills and food (No mortgage on the house). I don't see a problem with people living at home with their parents in their mid/late 20s so long as they help contribute and aren't relying on my Mammy and Daddy for everything if they have an income.

My mam is in her mid 50s and still works so the money she earns is basically hers and the money I give her covers most of the bills. Becasue I'm not spending 1200 a month on rent I'm saving between 600e-1000e a month for a deposit which I should have a 25% deposit saved for by the end of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I think it depends on whether you get a grant for University Education or not....

City dwellers are low on the list for grants...:D

I didn't get a grant. I did balance my academic and sporting commitments with holding down a part-time job. As I said it was an education in independence.

I didn't get a grant. I did balance my academic and sporting commitments with holding down a part-time job. As I said it was an education in independence.

I didn't say that you did.

I am merely showing you and others that not getting a grant can often mean staying at home with parents during 3rd level, in the cities anyway.

We all know that the farmers kids get all the feckin grants, now don't we :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I have some friends who will be 30 this year, that have never even made an attempt to fly the nest. I find it odd, personally, because I couldn't wait to get out and be my own person. But, I wouldn't judge them either. If all concerned are happy with the situation, then what harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭lickme

Who else will breast feed me at 27?

There could also be pressure from the Mammy to stay, and it could be difficult to leave with that kind of emotional blackmail too. It happens, some Mammies do not like the thought of the "empty nest" syndrome.

My Mam and Dad whooshed us out so they could enjoy their lives. LOL.

Best thing they ever did for us. No guilt or worry from either side!

That was many years ago now, when it was de rigeur to stay at home until you got married. Yes I am a slightly older wan now!

So it was great that we were encouraged to do it. I bought my house when I was 28, and that was not today nor yesterday, and as a single woman aswell back in the day that was considered to be something else!

Each to their own, there are circumstances that will mean you either stay or go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That doesn't mean its good for a person, a marriage, or that its in any way a good idea.
    Going from not living with them, to having to spend the rest of your life with them... is madness. Also, you don't really know someone until you have to live with them, and all of their annoying habits come to light!
    Ethel wrote: »
    Those were my parents rules, and their home. With all honesty, if rules weren't so tight I would have stayed on. I think its fantastic when adult children and their parents are lucky enough to continue living at home, without any hiccups.
    Most people who I know that have moved out, moved out because they don't get on with their parents.

=-=

Two lads I know have their own houses, married to their sweethearts, and have kids. I plan to goto Canada in a couple of months to work for two years. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

I'm just north of 30 and whilst I know people live at home for any number of reasons I'd be wary of anyone my age who has never lived away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Who else will breast feed me at 27?

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've had to return living at home twice since moving out (seven years ago) due to various circumstances. I get on with my parents, they seemed to like it were very insistent on me staying on for a while longer. It was pretty bad because they wouldn't accept cash at all from me! Mad. I had to get around this by buying the groceries etc. and chores and stuff.

Now I know they love me and kept on about "not being in a rush to start handing over hard earned money to a landlord" but c'mon. I'm a grown man with a decent paying job, the idea of intruding on my parents at this stage in their lives for purely financial benefits seems... a bit selfish imo. They've worked hard, brought up a family and I reckon they deserve some peace and quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Under normal circumstances (e.g. parents not needing care) if you're working and so long as you're just treating it like a house-share rather than your childhood home - paying towards bills, food, rent/mortgage, doing your cooking, washing and cleaning, having a social life and your own mode of transport, nothing wrong with it, but not sure I can understand the appeal or point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I can't believe anyone would willingly marry an adult who's never taken care of themselves outside their parents home.

Ehh because they love them and believe they're well capable of looking after themselves despite the fact they lived at home. It's not that hard to believe really.
    I do believe that learning to live as an adult is an important life skill.

Indeed it is, and not necessarily a skill that can only be acquired by fleeing the nest. You seem to think anyone living at home is completely dependent on their parents and can't do a thing for themselves. That's just not the case.
    I would be very put off by a man living at home making no effort to move forward with his life.

So every man living at home is unambitious and making no effort? Where the hell are you getting all this from? I know plenty of people who left home and couldn't be bothered looking for work and have absolutely no prospects. You can live at home and still be a mature responsible independent adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

So every man living at home is unambitious and making no effort?
    Ah in fairness, you're completely misrepresenting what was said. There was no indication whatsoever of the view that every man living at home is unambitious and making no effort. If anything there was a bit before your quote, which you didn't include:
    I wouldn't be put off by a man living at home, I would be very put off by a man living at home making no effort to move forward with his life and move out.

It would be off-putting if a person lived at home as a manchild or womanchild, as opposed to an adult in a house-share, paying their way/pulling their weight.

Ah in fairness, you're completely misrepresenting what was said. There was no indication whatsoever of the view that every man living at home is unambitious and making no effort. If anything there was a bit before your quote, which you didn't include:

It would be off-putting if a person lived at home as a manchild or womanchild, as opposed to an adult in a house-share, paying their way/pulling their weight.

She is still making out that people living at home can't take care of themselves though. Just to quote that first bit again -
    I can't believe anyone would willingly marry an adult who's never taken care of themselves outside their parents home. Going straight from your parents house to a house you share with a spouse is a recipe for stunted personal growth.

That's a really bizarre attitude in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I moved home for a while- 5 years, got stuff sorted, then I got my own place.

People don't know whats going on it other peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ifritzero

Yeah it's fine living with Mammy/ daddy I'm sure they will feed you guide you and put a roof over your head but in fairness why not be a grown up and move out the fact that your asking for advice in a forum tells me you need to start thinking things for yourself

ifritzero wrote: »
    Yeah it's fine living with Mammy/ daddy I'm sure they will feed you guide you and put a roof over your head but in fairness why not be a grown up and move out the fact that your asking for advice in a forum tells me you need to start thinking things for yourself

Who is asking for advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I don't think the expense of renting is a valid excuse outside of dublin. even on welfare you get housing allowance and there are plenty of places to choose from and lots of options like house sharing.

i was the same a few years ago always making excuses but it was sheer laziness keeping me at home. it really had a negative impact on my confidence and sucked the ambition out of me.

to those saying it's better than living in a hole eating takeaway... well it's not obligatory to do that don't you know. i'm a man but i always like a clean home and nice decor. i didn't know how to cook but my mother taught me a few things and i learned some others online . living at home after your mid twenties and you're wasting your youth in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

I think it's a bit sad when I hear of people living in squalid hovels, living off takeaways because they can't cook and throwing out their secondhand clothes after wearing them because they can't wash them. But hey, at least they're 'manning up' right?

At least they have their dignity and a hovel of their own ! Its called living your life. I started out that way, but certainly dont have those problems anymore. Each to their own, but don't expect me not to judge just because you're to afraid to live your life (not directly pointed at you) unless you or your parent/s are ill there's no excuse for it.

Under normal circumstances (e.g. parents not needing care) if you're working and so long as you're just treating it like a house-share rather than your childhood home - paying towards bills, food, rent/mortgage, doing your cooking, washing and cleaning, having a social life and your own mode of transport, nothing wrong with it, but not sure I can understand the appeal or point.

I dont think anyone is going to treat living at home like a houseshare in fairness. For example why would you cook your own meal if a meal is being cooked in the house, these people aren't strangers who you wouldn't want to eat what they cook like would happen in a houseshare.

Living at home I would have no problem paying towards some bills or paying some bills outright such as internet etc which I would want myself. I would not pay rent though, the concept is madness, paying rent to live in your own house and sleep in your room. On top of that there is no way my parents would accept it, they would transfer the money back into my account if I tried. Saving extra money is one of the big advantages of living at home, paying rent sort of defeats the purpose. The exception being if your parents are under financial pressure.

Cooking and washing I would look on as a shared thing when living at home. All washing into one pile or if someone is putting on a wash they ask if you need stuff done and vice versa. Same for cooking, food cooked for you some days and you would cook other days depending on work schedules etc etc.
    At least they have their dignity and a hovel of their own ! Its called living your life. I started out that way, but certainly dont have those problems anymore. Each to their own, but don't expect me not to judge just because you're to afraid to live your life (not directly pointed at you) unless you or your parent/s are ill there's no excuse for it.

I dont see any difference in dignity between someone living at home, living in a hovel or living in their own house. To be honest I would see someone as foolish if they were paying their money to live in a hovel if living at home was an option (obviously its different if you have no choice due to living too far away etc).

I also don't see why someone isn't living their life if they life at home. Maybe they are living the life they want, some people don't want to be away from family. Building right next to your home house is very common among my friends and in my area in general.

• Advertisement

I also don't see why someone isn't living their life if they life at home. Maybe they are living the life they want

+1

Living at home for most of my 20's allowed me to do a lot of traveling and other things that I wouldn't have been able to afford if I was renting. It was great actually. I got on well with my folks, and lived close to my job. It just didn't make any sense to move out at the time. It was only after getting into a relationship that I decided it would be for the best. I didn't feel anymore mature for doing so. It's just a matter of timing.

Advertisement