Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS 600D + Two Lenses + two accessories £370 (after £30 cashback)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WrongWay

Is this deal still worth it without the two free accessories?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

WrongWay wrote: »
    Is this deal still worth it without the two free accessories?

I think so, but it depends on your current camera. if you haven't a dslr already or are upgrading from something that's 5+ years old, then yeah, it's a good option. (i'm upgrading from a 450d, but probably wouldn't have bothered only for the extra lens and the 2 accessories, which were on the Santa list anyway)

The camera is out since 2011 so there have been 2 releases since then, the 650d and the 700d (quite recently I think) but both are substantially more expensive. It's the additional 40mm lens that makes it a good deal really, as it gets v good reviews and costs anywhere from 170 - 230 or so on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoined

Sweet price with the lens, good entry level DLSR

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I know i gave out about this camera but honestly Is this camera really worth buying ?

For starting off like

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know i gave out about this camera but honestly Is this camera really worth buying ?

For starting off like

Of course. Great camera, and will allow you to learn everything you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 eoined

For starting off like

Hell ya 15mm-55mm + free 40mm lens, very nice starter kit + gives good range of field to start

Canon EOS 600D more than enough to to get you started with DLSR

The price is sweet/with the lens/ body price is prob about to drop anyway if offering free lens

But this kit is more then enough to get you going

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eoined wrote: »
    Hell ya 15mm-55mm + free 40mm lens, very nice starter kit + gives good range of field to start

Canon EOS 600D more than enough to to get you started with DLSR

The price is sweet/with the lens/ body price is prob about to drop anyway if offering free lens

But this kit is more then enough to get you going

The 40mm pancake lens is most likely much better than the 18-55 kit lens. For starters the lower f2.8 will allow better low light shots and more of that blurred effect (brokeh IIRC).

Deffo an extremely good starter kit, I got the 550d as a starter kit and even that is more than enough to get your head around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ok - i missed this offer - but Dixons are selling 100D - which seems to be based on the 650D

for £399 (or 499 euros locally) - which is cheaper than on Amazon.

I like the idea of it being a physically smaller camera - but would it be comparable to the one that was on offer here quality and usage wise?

http://www.currys.ie/Product/CANON-EOS-100D-DSLR-Camera-with-1855-mm-Telephoto-Zoom-Lens-Extra-Battery-and-Lens-Cloth/318517/1.12

thanks.

-Edit-: Doh! - yes, typo - £399 or €499 (on sale in currys/co.uk/ie.)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

ozmo wrote: »
    Ok - i missed this offer - but Dixons are selling D100 - which seems to be based on the D650

for 400 euros - which is cheaper than on Amazon.

I like the idea of it being a physically smaller camera - but would it be comparable to the one that was on offer here quality and usage wise?

http://www.currys.ie/Product/CANON-EOS-100D-DSLR-Camera-with-1855-mm-Telephoto-Zoom-Lens-Extra-Battery-and-Lens-Cloth/318517/1.12

thanks.

its 499 ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

4real wrote: »
    its 499 ? :confused:

Fixed - Also Includes an extra battery.

Anyone know how it would compare to the op's camera for a starter Canon DSLR.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

ozmo wrote: »
    Fixed - Also Includes an extra battery.

Anyone know how it would compare to the op's camera for a starter Canon DSLR.

Yea this is a great starter camera, it it in the tier above the 1100D, (the same tier as the 600D/650D/700D. It will take all the same lenses as the 600D etc. However by being physically smaller it lacks most of the buttons on the body that are used to change settings, instead you use the touch screen which is capacitive (think iphone) so its quite responsive. It also lacks the flippy-out screen. (I have the 600D and find it quite usefull) All in all its a great camera and being small has the benefits of it being lighter and easier to carry. I would say go for it.

Just make sure that the 18-55 mm lens that comes with it is either STM / IS or IS II, if it just says III then it dosnt have image stabilization and might not be as good a deal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The problem I have with smaller DSLRs is that you still have a relatively large/heavy camera, that is not going to fit in a pocket and will have compromises; such as the buttons (or lack there of). If you have small hands, and find it a better fit for you, then sure thing. But otherwise, I would have to question the logic.

you mean canon 100d? it's a better and more modern camera than the 650d.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7526513643/consumer-slr-camera-roundup-2013/9

it's small but still very usable and has a touchscreen interface that overcomes any real size contraints (less space for dials etc)

it doesn't have the articulated screen of the 650d (a camera which I own) but that is not all that useful in any case - doesn't add a lot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Many beginners buy cameras with features they never get to use.
    I would advise buying an entry level camera, and when you have exhausted all its features and personally found its limitations, THEN you go on and buy a "better" camera as you will then be at a level to know more about what you want it to do.
    I also advise to join a local camera club or do a evening course, so you can get it off "auto" and start learning about depth of field, aperature and shutter etc etc.

Many beginners buy cameras with features they never get to use.
    I would advise buying an entry level camera, and when you have exhausted all its features and personally found its limitations, THEN you go on and buy a "better" camera as you will then be at a level to know more about what you want it to do.
    I also advise to join a local camera club or do a evening course, so you can get it off "auto" and start learning about depth of field, aperature and shutter etc etc.

I'd also suggest buying a camera that you'd actually use. SLR's are a bit of a pain to carry around so you're not going to bring it around that much... I'd advocate something like the Sony RX100 which takes near SLR quality pics in a small body. still has many manual controls for learning and shoots RAW too.

Just got an email from canon saying that they're giving me that other bit of cashback thats been the subject of a bit of controversy. This was indeed the bargain of the century. 525e - 40e (original cashback) - 60£ (~75e) = 410e
    Canon Winter Cashback – Amazon free Canon EF 40mm lens

Further to your recent Amazon purchase and subsequent claim as part of our Winter Cashback promotion, we have reviewed the Terms and Conditions and feel that we could have been clearer regarding the specifics of the ‘free’ lens which came with the EOS 600D.

Whilst this does not in any way compromise our legal position, as a gesture of goodwill we would like to honour your claim.

We will make the necessary arrangements to transfer £60 to your account within the next 14 days, providing you have supplied all the necessary information.

We hope you enjoy your purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Did you had to chase that or they emailed you spontaneously?

j4vier wrote: »
    Did you had to chase that or they emailed you spontaneously?

I sent one email, back when i got my original cashback, it was just asking them why i wasnt entitled to the full amount. I didnt chase it up anymore than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

I got the email as well, nice move from canon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

That was some bargain so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

Anyone want to sell their 40mm lense, I might be interested. I have the other 50mm 1.8f (old, metal version too) but curious to have a go at 40mm version.

Advertisement