Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS 600D + Two Lenses + two accessories £370 (after £30 cashback)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭ablelocks

links don't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

ablelocks wrote: »
    links don't work?

Try them now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Whipping Boy

I've been looking at getting the Canon D3200 as my first DSLR but this looks like great value. Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better? Given the price I presume the EOS 600D is a superior model?

EDIT: This may have answered my question! http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Nikon-D3200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

another comparison for those considering the D3200, have to say the 600D is excellent value when you add in the 40mm lens and other accessories

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos600d&products=nikon_d3200

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Actually there's a possibility of getting £90 cash back on this !!!
    https://canon-winter.sales-promotions.com/canon-winter/uk/calculator.html

All depends how they view the purchase of the 40mm :D

• Advertisement

i have a 450d and had been considering buying the 40mm lens at some stage anyway.

v. tempted by this - must plan out my justification

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Whipping Boy

tommycahir wrote: »
    another comparison for those considering the D3200, have to say the 600D is excellent value when you add in the 40mm lens and other accessories

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos600d&products=nikon_d3200

Interesting. Will have to keep digging and decide between them. The superior video functionality on the 600D is an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

Have they increased the price? Its showing now £419

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Guys, be warned on Canon cash back offers on the Amazon site for a couple of reasons.

1. amazon.co.uk is a recognised Canon seller and the cash back offer will apply (although see point 2) but many sellers on amazon selling canon products are not recognised when you go to claim from canon
    (Not saying this one isn't but just be careful- there's a full list of recognised online retailers on the canon website)
    2. The STG price quoted goes up slightly for some canon products when you get to checkout when buying from amazon as a seller- not sure why(it's not postage as postage is free) think it might be a slight adjustment due to you claiming the cash back as an Irish consumer

3. Credit card Stg/euro prices are at around .82-.83 at the moment- so factor that in too

There's still possibly a saving here but mind how you go as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

It totals to 430 GBP =[ 535 euro], so it's about 480 euro after cashback

Body only would cost about 410 euro after cashback

• Advertisement

unreggd wrote: »
    It totals to 430 GBP =[ 535 euro], so it's about 480 euro after cashback

Body only would cost about 410 euro after cashback

yes, but if you chose the body only, you don't get the free 40mm lens (current price is £144 for that). This is what sets it apart as a good offer. (And the price at the op was £392 - it increased to £419 soon after. I'm waiting for it to drop down again.)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

My parcel just arrived, got the canon 600d , the 40mm lens , the tripod and the case. Tripod hasnt arrived yet, (they split up the deliveries so I could get some items sooner) Except the funny thing is they sent the tripod a few days before the rest. Absolute deal of the year, I wasnt quick enough to get it at GBP 392, so I ended up paying EUR 525. I dont mind its still amazing value.

I completed the online form for the cash back, I chanced my arm at getting the cash back for the camera and the 40mm lens. (The invoice i got from amazon didnt have the cost of the lens as GBP 0, it was actually GBP 147, what they do is give you a "promotional discount/gift certificate" amount off of the total order. Hopefully canon assumes i had a gift card :)

Ill post back how I get on with the cash back.

There are only a few days left (2 I think) to get the full offer, so if you're holding out I would recommend to buy it now.

kirkfx wrote: »

There are only a few days left (2 I think) to get the full offer, so if you're holding out I would recommend to buy it now.

offer runs till 24th dec....I hope!
    Get a Free 40mm Lens Plus £30 Cashback When You Buy this Product
    If you would like to get a Free 40mm Lens Plus £30 Cashback check out our Canon EOS 600D Promotion. This promotion only applies to qualifying products bought from Amazon.co.uk--it does not apply to products bought from Third Party retailers on the Amazon platform, so please check before adding to your basket. Offer runs from 09:45, November 19, 2013 to 23:59, December 24, 2013. Terms and conditions apply. Learn more.
    › See more product promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

ablelocks wrote: »
    offer runs till 24th dec....I hope!
    2 free accessories run till 30nov as per second link in op...

Really tempted but wanted 650d or 60d.... Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

My parcel just arrived, got the canon 600d , the 40mm lens , the tripod and the case. Tripod hasnt arrived yet, (they split up the deliveries so I could get some items sooner) Except the funny thing is they sent the tripod a few days before the rest. Absolute deal of the year, I wasnt quick enough to get it at GBP 392, so I ended up paying EUR 525. I dont mind its still great value.

Ill post back how I get on with the cash back.

Really considering purchasing this as an Xmas gift today. What do you think of the camera. Are you happy with it? Did it take long to arrive and did you use parcel motel? Is the extra lens worth it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Blingy wrote: »
    Really considering purchasing this as an Xmas gift today. What do you think of the camera. Are you happy with it? Did it take long to arrive and did you use parcel motel? Is the extra lens worth it? Thanks.

Really struggling with this offer too!!
    Excellent review here that is pushing me towards buying....
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2K9U47GUQA73J/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0089V4CJC&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=560834&store=photo

You're thinking of getting the 650d, reading the reviews, comparing it to the 600d and countless others and pulling your hair out at all the pros and cons? Am I close. I'm a photographer and have used this, the 600d and its sony equivalent. I might be able to help. Let me start with an anecdote, (you've read enough technical jargon for now so consider this a breather)
    I film the eagles on Mull and the landlady I stay with was telling me about this other photographer who visits her little cottage (it's beautiful by the way, you should visit if you get the chance). So anyway, she is cooking tea , as she does if you ask her nicely. While it's cooking he shows her one of his photos, probably of a sea eagle catching a fish. Everyone wants to photograph one of those even though its on every other postcard in Scotland. Next to a highland cow looking over a gate its the top photo/cliche to get.. Anyhoo, she looks at the photo and says "wow that's great...you must have a brilliant camera" .
    So they sit down for supper a bit later and its delicious, she is a great cook. He says "This is lovely...you must have some great saucepans!" boom boom.
    But herein lies the real point of this camera. You know its the person behind the camera that takes the pictures but do you really know it? This and the 600d take pictures so good (if you have the skill) you could blow it up the size of front door but are you going to want to. The thing no sellers want to tell you is that for years, maybe 5 , all of the big names have been making great dslr. Since the nikon d40 perhaps. But you really want to know, if you bought this, would you be happy or buying a pup. Be reassured that neither canon, nikon or sony make chocolate teapots. They know how to make a great camera and this is one. It's biggest difference as you will have read ad nauseum , is the touch screen. is it worth it. It is if you like touch screens (I do). That's not flippant, it's how it is.
    So the photos will be great and its a great camera, you've read other reviews so I won't duplicate what you have already read but one thing you may not have read is about the video. All the makers have got dslr right. No pups in sight, but video is a relatively new feature and Sony have tbh been leading the way. This camera sets to rectify that by having autofocus. A lot of places on the net, say it's not needed, you should be using manual focus. Nonsense. Manual focus is ok at times but can be a pain. Filming your dog on the beach for example..The autofocus on the 650d is actually pretty good. Not as good as a camcorder but pretty good. The slowest part is for it to get going. But when it's locked on its sound. Well worth having. So thats sorted right..err no, not really. This is the 650d 's killer feature. Trouble is, they left out the killer feature on the 600d. The 3x zoom with "no loss in quality". So here is the choice if you are buying this for video.
    if you want you're 300mm zoom to be able to zoom to 900mm for filming sport or wildlife. It's the 600d for you
    If you love the idea of autofocus (or hate the idea of doing it the old fashioned way) its the 650d for you.
    In my opinion if you're considering the other makes like Sony, it comes down to who makes the the lens you are likely to want. I know I have focused (blabbed on) about video but hey, there has been thousands of photo reviews already about iso , shutter speed etc etc. Nothing for me to add there!
    So if you are considering using it for video here are a few "must have" things you will need to go with it.Hoya 58mm UV FilterReplacement Battery for Canon LP-E8 / suitable for Canon EOS 550D / EOS 600D / EOS 650D
    Oh and the one that should have gone top of my listMake better videos with your dslr or camcorder
    So now I have spent ten minutes typing away, telling you how I like the 650d for video (I do) do me a little favour and click that you find this helpful. Unless you don't. Either way you will enjoy this camera but do consider the little brother the 600d also. We live in good times to take photos as there are so many great cameras and this is definitely one of them. One more thing I forgot to mention (and yes it is regarding the video) is that to get great video you need to use the right settings in the menu.Unfortunately these are counter intuitive and if you don't use them you may be under whelmed. If anyone wants them, comment and I will try to post a link

Hey I ordered it late last Wednesday evening and it arrived this Wednesday afternoon, so the delivery was quite fast. I didn't use parcel motel because they boxed the items together and the size of the box would have been too big for parcel motels lockers.

I'm really happy with the camera, I knew exactly what I was getting as some of my friends have the 550d and aside from the flip out screen they are pretty much the exact same.

Well seeing as the extra lens is free I would say it's worth it. The lens on its own is over €150. If it's a Christmas present you could save the lens for a birthday/anniversary gift later on down the road. The cheapest I have seen the camera in a brick and morter shop is €600, that's without the extra lens the tripod and case!! If it's a present I would get the memory card instead of the tripod. The camera is useless without a memory card and you need a SD card of class 6 or above to record video for more than a few seconds. I need the tripod for college work anyway so that's why I opted for it over the memory card, I got a decent samsung class 10 32GB card for €20 on amazon anyway.

If you didn't want the extra lens and think the 600d is too expensive you can get the 1100d for 260GBP and still get the two accessory deal. The 1100d is still a decent camera, especially if the person dosnt know if they'll use the camera a lot (or is only going to use it on the auto setting) but I needed mine for college work so I went for the higher spec model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Kirkfx thanks for the speedy reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

looks like canon only recognised the camera for the cashback so they are offering 40e

some people on hukd got the full 90 pounds

anyone else heard back about the cashback?

Just got an email from canon, I only got the €40 cash back, dang I thought is get it for the lens too. Oh well I suppose you can be too greedy, that means I paid €525-40= €485

• Advertisement

i'm still happy with the deal but reading that some people got the full 90 pounds is quite annoying! maybe they are lying :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I have held this camera and I have to say it feels like a childs camera or its made from plastic....thats the thoughts the thoughts that came into my head when I held it anyway...

I asked about the 2 models up from that and was impressed with them.

dont ask me to name them just something tells me stay clear of this camera.

j4vier wrote: »
    i'm still happy with the deal but reading that some people got the full 90 pounds is quite annoying! maybe they are lying :rolleyes:

Where abouts did you read that?

Where abouts did you read that?

On hukd

Anyone tried to chase up the cash back to get the full 115€? I don't want to be greedy but the extra cash would have been great for Christmas shopping

i sent them an email about it no harm

it doesn't say anywhere that the lense was free actually in the invoice, it looks like a discount was applied but not for the full amount so could have been gift certificates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WrongWay

Very tempted to get this offer today.

Has anyone seen an offer as good for this camera + lenses + accessories?

Are camera deals normally any good in the January sales?

WrongWay wrote: »
    Very tempted to get this offer today.

Has anyone seen an offer as good for this camera + lenses + accessories?

Are camera deals normally any good in the January sales?

No way you going to get anything as good let alone better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Ah... missed the offer. Two free accessory offer gone. I would have replaced my 1100D.

• Advertisement

Canon replied saying that only cashback for the camera will be given, it was worth a shot anyway

Advertisement