Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Hi folks.

Have 2 questions that some one might help with. Have a sempre weather station bought in aldi / lidl a few years back and it just stopped working. New batteries made no difference,. Can't see any reset on it..any ideas?

Bought an Oregon basic one and I have the outside temp sensor in a concrete shed like the old one..any suggestions on how to keep it outside and dry? Do most people put it in a plastic tub? Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Have included pictures of my homemade Stephenson's screen with temp sensor and cheapo manual thermometer - still saving up for the proper Max / Min Thermometer :) ( can get plans and ideas from looking around the net). Preferably you need your temp sensor in a well ventilated shade. At least a box like structure with holes or slits in it and it is recommended to position it 1.2m to 2m above ground level ( placed above a well maintained grass area and away from concrete buildings and footpaths and preferably not in a sheltered area so as not to unduly influence the temp. Good idea to keep the box like structure painted white.

FO4xb33.jpg?1

Vx0Nlt0.jpg?1

7zqb6rW.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Lidl have a weather station on 12th Dec for 49.99 euro/If you search you will find a result for The Mirror newspaper who showed it in an article on Christmas gifts.
    It includes a wind vane and rainfall gauge.
    I would be interested in comments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I have earlier version of it. Clone actually, different brand printed on it, without rain gauge.

Bought it on ebay.

Transmitter unit (that's the one with wind gauges) died after 2 weeks of use. Got another one (seller agreed to sell me one 50% off) and that one works until now, almost nine years.

Bear in mind that all the screws must be changed to stainless ones (very cheap on ebay alright) immediately, otherwise you wouldn't be able to access battery compartment after a couple of weeks - factory given screws are pure crap, will rust extremely quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Anyone get the lidl weather station, how are they getting on with it, would anyone recommend it,

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Hardly available now. A few lidls around me I checked today all out of stock.

Anyway, as expected (cos I got one) it works with my previously installed (see above) wind gauge.

And, surprisingly, it looks like all the screws are now stainless! :D

Bad one - this one cannot synchronize with DCF77, despite my very efforts. All other stations I own have no problems with time sync at all. Won't return it though, for 50 quid it's a bargain.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Hardly available now. A few lidls around me I checked today all out of stock.

got one today in lidl in Moore st, there's 7 of them left,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

ronn wrote: »
    Anyone get the lidl weather station, how are they getting on with it, would anyone recommend it,

I got one as an Xmas present, all up and running now. Simple setup and installation.
    Stats seem accurate, pressure and humidity are the same as our local ME station.
    According to the specs the max windspeed it can record is 108km which is very low for my location. We're on the Atlantic coast so would really need 180km plus readings for stormy weather.

From what I have read online it seems to be a rebranded Ventus W155 weather station which gets mixed reviews.

I'm struggling to find a spot to put my weather vane,
    My house faces south towards mountains, I'm hoping to put it up on my facia,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Hello all

Am hoping someone might have the answer to my problem

I got this weather station from lidl (see attachment) as a birthday present at halloween. My problem is with the humidity reading on the outdoor sensor. It is saying the humidity is 20 percent when it should be 80 or 90.

It worked fine until around christmas.

Just wondering has anyone else had this problem

• Advertisement

Dont think file attached. Here it is to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Dont think file attached. Here it is to be sure

The outdoor sensor may have developed a fault because your temp reading also looks off.
    Try taking the batteries out for a min and replacing them.
    Try new batteries
    Check for any debris/insects

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Found my old N96GY Maplin station that had to be moved due to some work on the land. Been sat, under cover, but exposed to insects for a year or so. What issues could I be look at/ where should I be paying attention too?

Any linux software I can hook it up too? Have an old PC that I installed linux on and is now gathering dust in much the same way as the weather station!

Lumi wrote: »
    The outdoor sensor may have developed a fault because your temp reading also looks off.
    Try taking the batteries out for a min and replacing them.
    Try new batteries
    Check for any debris/insects

Let us know how you get on.

Outdoor temp is off as i took it inside to see if drying it out might help. I suspected water might have gotten into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Outdoor temp is off as i took it inside to see if drying it out might help. I suspected water might have gotten into it.

Ok - if you have a look about half way down the first page on this thread http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8823&sid=ae17da7dd6ffe57dde8b112d3901e18c there are instructions on how to prise the sensor case open and check for/ repair water damage
    If that fails you'll have to order a replacement sensor from Maplin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap and cheerful weather station?
    I'm considering this https://www.gearbest.com/home-smart-improvements/pp_694866.html

Unregistered Users

Don't.

Same station Lidl was selling recently, got 2 of them. Outdoor sensors loose connection after couple of days, even if located centimetres away from main unit. To reconnect, station must be reset (batteries out and in, time, date etc. set up again). Display is unreadable when not lit,and light stays on only when unit is permanently plugged in to mains.

I bought this weather station just over a year ago, it has worked quite well except that it loses its time settings if the power is interrupted and defaults to GMT/UTC.

It is a generic Chinese model so the picture is of the Ambient weather version.
    0.gif

Recently I noticed that the minimum temperature reading seemed a bit high and when checking found it to be at least 4C higher than it should be. On warm days, it appeared to be nearly correct.

Eventually I decided to check the sensor.

I found that there was a 10k thermister and the leads to it were rusty, so on Ebay I found these
    s-l1600.jpg

Actually, they're the size of matchheads.

Swapped out the one in the sensor unit and now the weather station is reading accurately again.

Hope some people find this info useful, it's the difference in €200+ for a replacement unit or less than €10 replacing a thermister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Any linux software I can hook it up too? Have an old PC that I installed linux on and is now gathering dust in much the same way as the weather station!
    I know I'm nearly a year too late, but if it's still sitting there waiting you could try weewx (weewx.com)
    A full PC might be a bit of an over kill.
    I'm using it here running on a raspberry pi http://weather.whitehillenv.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No, both PC and weather station still gathering dust, but this might be the nudge I need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Quick question,Santa brought me a weather station,how far off the ground should I set it up to get best results?

Quick question,Santa brought me a weather station,how far off the ground should I set it up to get best results?
    For temperature and rainfall sensors, about 1 metre or so, just be sure to be clear of local shading and concrete/tarmac (if possible) ad these can affect temperature accuracy.
    Wind sensor, as high as possible and clear of obstructions.

Here are the recommendations from wunderground

SetUpDiagram.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

For temperature and rainfall sensors, about 1 metre or so, just be sure to be clear of local shading and concrete/tarmac (if possible) ad these can affect temperature accuracy.
    Wind sensor, as high as possible and clear of obstructions.

Here are the recommendations from wunderground

SetUpDiagram.jpg

Cheers thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just realised I replied to the wrong thread. Replying here instead.

Thinking about one of these lately.

Anyone got any experience mounting on your typical 3-bed Semi? No real unsheltered part of the garden - lots of trees - so it would probably need to go on the chimney?

Unregistered Users

I'd recommend 2 metres or higher than top of a chimney, but temperature readings could be affected anyway, especially when chimney's in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Anyone ever have battery issues on the Davis Vantage Vue transmitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »

Pity my not old Davis has given up.

Any idea what might be wrong with it? Mine packed in Feb last year, but got talking to a guy from 'Scaled Instruments'. He was able to identity the problem immediately. (a part of the transmitter went).

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Anyone ever have battery issues on the Davis Vantage Vue transmitter?

Changed my battery about 6 months ago after about 3 years use ... all been fine for me.

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Changed my battery about 6 months ago after about 3 years use ... all been fine for me.

Changed mine on Wednesday after a years use, died again Saturday.

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Any idea what might be wrong with it? Mine packed in Feb last year, but got talking to a guy from 'Scaled Instruments'. He was able to identity the problem immediately. (a part of the transmitter went).

It's battery issues for me, bought a new one Wednesday and it died on Saturday. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Advertisement