Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

horsefarm wrote:
    I guess it's time to figure out the wind gauge! What is the unit of measurement? It's like single figures and not very impressive at all

In single figures it's probably metres per second. Multiply by 3.6 to get to km per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

KAGY wrote: »
    In single figures it's probably metres per second. Multiply by 3.6 to get to km per hour.

Thanks a mil for the reply, I figured out how to change it to kph, it was in Beaufort!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gvork

Hi,
    I Purchased a HomeMatic wireless weather station WDC7000:HM-WDC7000 and a HomeMatic radio-controlled weather data sensor (OC2):HM-WDS100-C6-O.
    My problem is when I 'teach in' the sensor and it comes up 'used', temperature and humidity come up but not wind, sunshine duration or rain.
    Anyone know how to reset it? I've tried but no joy.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

Any opinions on this?

It has the UV index light meter, solar recharging and wind direction over some cheaper models from Maplin and the 2083.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weather-Station-Wireless-Internet-Beginners/dp/B00C9MFQ1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455217311&sr=8-1&keywords=

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks like an upgrade from the usual Maplin and 2083, they are a great starter station I had the old model as my first station, a strong gust took it off on journey :D The temp sensor isn't great in that if Sun hits it then your temps will be well off and trying to stop wind gusts from recording rain by moving gauge can be hard but other than that its good value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Does anybody know of any way to use Blogger to display Cumulus weather information? I've had a look but can't find anything particularly recent or useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looking for advice on a good accurate weather station, with a Rain Gague, Barometer, Anemometer and an outdoor thermometer included. (Also a wind dial if possible).

Any recommendations of a good one and what price should I expect to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Looking for advice on a good accurate weather station, with a Rain Gague, Barometer, Anemometer and an outdoor thermometer included. (Also a wind dial if possible).

Any recommendations of a good one and what price should I expect to pay?

It really depends on your budget Carnacalla.
    If you spend a bit of time tweaking it and position it properly, the Fine Offset stations sold by Maplin make reasonably good, starter-level weather stations for under €100.
    If you can afford to spend a bit more then either a Davis Vantage Vue or a Vantage Pro if you can go up to €1000 plus are probably the best amateur weather stations on the market.

I'd set the budget at €100, but it can be stretched.

I'll have a look in Maplin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Lumi wrote: »
    [...]
    If you spend a bit of time tweaking it and position it properly, the Fine Offset stations sold by Maplin make reasonably good, starter-level weather stations for under €100.
    [...]

Being an owner of Fine Offset station I have to add something. Better buy two stations and keep one for spares. Their relaibility is actually a lottery. I currently have 3 indoor units (displays): two of them with knackered barometer and third one with faulty hygrometer. Additionally, wind gauge goes offline very frequently despite my endless efforts.

If I could start again from scratch (I mean: doing kinda time rewind thing) I'd get more money and buy dearer, but more reliable piece of equipment instead.

• Advertisement

I have the remnants of an old weather station with the Anemometer and Rain Gague still working, everything else is fecked.

Is this the one ye are referring to?

http://www.maplin.ie/p/wireless-weather-station-n25fr

I'd set the budget at €100, but it can be stretched.

I'll have a look in Maplin.

I'd recommend the N96GY as a starter station with that budget. I had the same one myself for over 3 years before I upgraded and as I said, if you spend time positioning and setting it up correctly it should do fine.

There's lots of advice on this thread if you search back through it or, once you have it post here and I'm sure there'll be plenty of help on offer.

Its currently selling for £79.99 on maplin.co.uk
    or
    you can pick it up in Ireland for €119.95 from maplin.ie

With current exchange rates its cheaper to order from the UK
    joujoujou wrote: »
    Being an owner of Fine Offset station I have to add something. Better buy two stations and keep one for spares.

Maplin stock and sell a full range of spares now jou which makes life a little easier :)

I have the remnants of an old weather station with the Anemometer and Rain Gague still working, everything else is fecked.

No, the N96GY is a much better option - see above

Unregistered Users

[...]

Me? No.

I bought one (WH1080) from PJ Bonner in Dublin (they used to have them on their webshop in decent prices), and another one (WH1090) from (currently cheapest place in the net IMO) Froggit.de - they have their ebay shop as well.

Edit: N96GY is actually a WH1080 clone. And buying a whole station for spares is actually a lot cheaper than buing spares separately. :p

Edit: N96GY is actually a WH1080 clone. And buying a whole station for spares is actually a lot cheaper than buing spares separately. :p

Yep, I had the WH1080 but its been replaced by the N96GY - I set one of those up for my Dad last year and its been trouble free tbh

The only part I ever had to replace was the anemometer BUT that was because I hit it with a largish stone - on purpose!!
    It had gotten stuck and I was trying to free it the lazy way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

My Davis is underrecording the wind speed. It is not in the ideal spot but should record southerly winds correctly but seems to be only halfspeed.Any tips ?

Unregistered Users

Lumi wrote: »
    [...]
    It had gotten stuck and I was trying to free it the lazy way :D

The dearest spares are (obviously) display unit and outdoor transmitter unit. And (apart from situation you just mentioned) these are the only ones breaking frequently (from my own experience). But the biggest problem is to get a matching spare. Not only in terms of radio frequency they're using, but also the way they transmitting data between each other.

Example:

http://www.froggit.de/product_info.php/info/p218_ersatz-hydrosensor-pass7.html
    http://www.froggit.de/product_info.php/info/p141_ersatz-hydrosensor-pass14c.html
    http://www.froggit.de/product_info.php/info/p222_ersatz-hydrosensor-pass18.html

sword1 wrote: »
    My Davis is underrecording the wind speed. It is not in the ideal spot but should record southerly winds correctly but seems to be only halfspeed.Any tips ?

Mine packed in completely last summer - I took it down and cleaned it (just loosen the cup set screw,remove cup assembly and clean out the spider webs, insects and/or any dirt from the unit). Touch wood, its worked fine since then so maybe try that and see if it fixes the under recording issue.

At the time I was afraid that the reed switch had failed because that would have involved replacing the anemometer. Apparently its an issue with Davis units

The dearest spares are (obviously) display unit and outdoor transmitter unit. And (apart from situation you just mentioned) these are the only ones breaking frequently (from my own experience). But the biggest problem is to get a matching spare. Not only in terms of radio frequency they're using, but also the way they transmitting data between each other.

Example:

http://www.froggit.de/product_info.php/info/p218_ersatz-hydrosensor-pass7.html
    http://www.froggit.de/product_info.php/info/p141_ersatz-hydrosensor-pass14c.html
    http://www.froggit.de/product_info.php/info/p222_ersatz-hydrosensor-pass18.html
    This has been one of the most frustrating issues that I have experienced over recent years, I now have three perfectly working display units and incomplete sets of sensors.

Each time I went to replace a failed sensor, it was out of production.
    Maybe the more professional units have a longer support period for their systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

Had a WRM962 for a 2 years and it lasted ok but once it stared giving trouble, it broke my heart.
    From reading it seems Davis are the best but most expensive.

Anybody recommend the best site to buy a Davis Vantage Pro 2 (6152).

Regs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I bought mine off The Weather Shop,https://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/weather-stations/commercial-weather-stations good service . Did have problems with the Thermometer/ Humidity sensor after maybe 4 years and replaced the sensor with a compatible one. Also had an issue with erroneous rainfall readings after a few years but got resolved with advice from Davis and other owners and a bit of tinkering with it.

Overall have enjoyed very much using it on a daily basis for over 5 years now. Would have liked it to be perfect but I suppose nothing is especially when out in all weathers and especially right up next to the Atlantic.

I know some have bought the station from Germany, not sure of the address but maybe somebody will post it up.

Best of luck with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Hi, I am looking for a weather station with a weather proof outdoor display. It is for a small pier on a lake to alert boat users to wind speed, direction etc. I have looked at weather vanes as a simple solution but working out wind speed is guesswork with them.
    Thanks in advance.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for a weather station with a weather proof outdoor display. It is for a small pier on a lake to alert boat users to wind speed, direction etc. I have looked at weather vanes as a simple solution but working out wind speed is guesswork with them.
    Thanks in advance.
    Just buy a simple hobby one and put the display unit in a weather proof box with a window on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Just buy a simple hobby one and put the display unit in a weather proof box with a window on it.

Thanks dolan baker. Is there any particular model you would recommend?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Looking for some help..

My WH1080 weather station has stopped receiving from the out door station. I presumed it was a battery problem but I now think the transmitter is kaput as with new battery the red LED stays constant on, there is some water staining inside the unit also :o

I'm having problems sourcing a replacement 868.3mhz transmitter. I've found an identical part as a replacement on another brand of weather station..

My thinking is these parts are all identical/interchangeable as long as the frequency matches, would this make sense..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDf-kopWXktxJB8yiZ2QeXJpaOYeao0yLUfSIHB3bAqpRP9_-b6g

Unregistered Users

The answer's just few posts above:

[post]100753958[/post]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I have a Davis Vantage Vue station last 3 years, no problems at all until a couple weeks ago. The outside temperature and humidity readings are just dashes on the console now. I went out and cleaned the shield around it from dirt and a few bugs and exposed the pcb tip. Put everything back and it worked for a few hours then went again. I want to take it out and see if there is any loose connection or otherwise but after looking at it again ( without removing) it hasn't worked. What are your experiences with this sensor? Everything else ( wind, rain)reading normally.

I have a Davis Vantage Vue station last 3 years, no problems at all until a couple weeks ago. The outside temperature and humidity readings are just dashes on the console now. I went out and cleaned the shield around it from dirt and a few bugs and exposed the pcb tip. Put everything back and it worked for a few hours then went again. I want to take it out and see if there is any loose connection or otherwise but after looking at it again ( without removing) it hasn't worked. What are your experiences with this sensor? Everything else ( wind, rain)reading normally.

Meteorite58 had the same problem so maybe drop him a PM for some advice?
    I Did have problems with the Thermometer/ Humidity sensor after maybe 4 years and replaced the sensor with a compatible one.

There's also some possible solutions with step-by-step advice and pictures over on the WX forum http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24701.0

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Had the same problem. Eventually had to replace the module. I was referred to a supplier in Cork. Very easy to deal with
    Good customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Anyone spot any black Friday weather station deals?!

I had that basic wireless one from Maplins until is got struck by something during a gale.

Was thinking of getting the same one again unless I found a good deal on a better one.

Advertisement