Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Another option depending on your fitness level or appetite for adventure is a night cycle / hike.
    Around midsummer get the late evening train to Longford or Mullingar and head back towards Dublin overnight . Every kilometer travelled brings you into range of trains at Enfield , Kilcock and Maynooth .
    Summers night , starlight , night sounds , . Good for the soul. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

a148pro wrote: »
    Consensus is you're more likely to have a tail wind west to east so train to longford, cycle out to the shannon and then back. Did it recently enough (not during penal laws) 170k, but a very easy 170 as all flat. Lots of posts above on various people's travails and a blog from a group from swords I think that gives you an impression of some of the scenery.

The "group from Swords" blog: https://swordscc.com/2019/09/greenway-day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The "group from Swords" blog: https://swordscc.com/2019/09/greenway-day

It's a good blog that and kind of egged me on to do it.

silverharp wrote: »
    dammit why didnt I think of that , I do like an early start on such rides though, what would be a starting time be at the far end? one other advantage I guess is when you arrive home you are home.

Check irish rail but my recollection was the early train was about 7 but we got the next train at about 9, train was maybe 90 minutes and we made it back to city centre with maybe an hour or two's daylight left

Usually I'd prefer to break a distance like that into two nice days instead of one long one but with no hills it really is an easy cycle and very doable in one day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think if you're out there the first time then it's not worth trying to power your way through. Splitting it into two days is the best option. Maybe one day one weekend and then another day some other time. I usually do it once a year (didn't do it last year).

Train to Longford, on to Cloondara and back to Mullingar, then Mullingar to Dublin another day.
    Or train to Longford and back as far as Enfield without going to Cloondara (100 km or so).

Can also be done the other direction.

There's loads to see on it if you take it easy, plenty of wildlife, plenty of people to talk to and it's a great break from the hustle of Dublin.

I'd also highly recommend Corlea Trackway, it's just off the route and is well worth a visit, show the improvement on roads over the past 2,000 years! https://heritageireland.ie/places-to-visit/corlea-trackway-visitor-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

silverharp wrote: »
    camping beside a canal is nice, I canoed down the Barrow with junior a few years back which has canal lough sections, its got something

Yeah, I've done that barrow canoe too, very enjoyable. The Grand Canal by tent will probably be one I'll do this year

KevRossi wrote: »
    I'd also highly recommend Corlea Trackway, it's just off the route and is well worth a visit, show the improvement on roads over the past 2,000 years! https://heritageireland.ie/places-to-visit/corlea-trackway-visitor-centre/

I'm dying to see that, it sounds class, but leaving a nice bike unattended, or carrying a lock on a long spin weren't on my list! Sounds interesting though. ireland is full of stuff like that that most of us have never heard of, but when you stumble across it it can be class. The ireland's hidden heartlands logo has a grain of truth in it.

Again, manchan's a to z of ireland is great for that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Corlea trackway is small enough and un-visited (unfairly so I might add) enough for the staff to be able to put your bike to one side i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

The day I visited Corlea, I had the undivided attention of a number of OPW staff, and a fantastic individual tour of the trackway from the very knowledgeable guide. Very interesting place to visit and just off the canal. Can’t remember if I locked the bike, but it’s very off the beaten track there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CapnHex wrote: »
    The day I visited Corlea, I had the undivided attention of a number of OPW staff, and a fantastic individual tour of the trackway from the very knowledgeable guide. Very interesting place to visit and just off the canal. Can’t remember if I locked the bike, but it’s very off the beaten track there.

to say the least, it's in the middle of nowhere, you feel like you've dropped off the map. Lovely tranquil location with an interesting history behind it, definitely worth a visit (but bring a picnic).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

We joined the canal at Lucan, 53.37159, -6.45704 , the section from there to Maynooth was in horrendous condition, just deep, wet mud. I came off my bike four times, though my friend did not. I put this down to the tires mostly, he had Kenda Happy Mediums 40mm, and I had Hutchinson Overrides 38mm, which had almost no tread (those crap tyres are now removed).

Anyway, join the canal at Maynooth unless you have a mountain bike or it's very dry.

If anyone was to do it in the summer, the section above, say from Lucan near St. Catherines Park, is a different kettle of fish and easily doable to Maynooth. There's is some hardpacked trail but the non surfaced sections are solid enough not to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Decided to finally try this out on Friday, did the stretch from the Cloondara to Mullingar. Thankfully got a gorgeous, crisp sunny day to do it (a rarity in this country i know). Really is a great amenity, literally 60 kilometres of unspoilt countryside with no traffic and the sounds of birdsong, with some nice villages/harbours along the way. Did it on a road-bike, no problems to report tyre-wise, although surfaces could be a bit better in parts. Definitely one to check out again in the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Niall145 wrote: »
    Decided to finally try this out on Friday, did the stretch from the Cloondara to Mullingar. Thankfully got a gorgeous, crisp sunny day to do it (a rarity in this country i know). Really is a great amenity, literally 60 kilometres of unspoilt countryside with no traffic and the sounds of birdsong, with some nice villages/harbours along the way. Did it on a road-bike, no problems to report tyre-wise, although surfaces could be a bit better in parts. Definitely one to check out again in the summer!

Lucky you! I haven't cycled that way in almost a year - must do so again this summer. The serenity of cycling along the canal is something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rootsman

Planning Galway to Dublin(coast to coast) in June.
    Salthill to Athlone on the road and the greenway/canal to Dublin finishing in Sandymount.

Any pointers from Maynooth in?I am aware the canal finishes in the city but will be going to Sandymount.

Appreciate any input.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm assuming you're on a road bike.
    In terms of Maynooth, take the road/hard shoulder from Carton to Louisa Bridge and then back onto canal towpath to Confey.
    From Confey, travel on road via Westmanstown to Castleknock and back onto the towpath from there.
    Alternatively, travel from Confey via the Strawberry beds but you'd have a steep hill to climb to head back towards Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Im hoping to get a day next week to try part of the greenway.
    Im thinking either enfield to thomastown and back. Or, train from Enfield to Mullingar and cyle back. It seems to be 35/40 km for both options. Would that be enough of a wander or would i be better extending something?

In terms of distance, I don’t know what you’re used to but that kind of distance should be fine regardless of the bike type. The surface is smooth and relatively flat so unless the weather is unpleasant (which could well be the case given recent weeks), the biggest concern you’ll have is where to stop for a coffee!
    Enjoy!

Cheers
    :D I cant survive without coffee for a few hours!
    Ah ill give it a go, hopefully the weather will improve, was going to go this week. Exploring it will be fun.

Just remember, you may not have a suitable opportunity to take a wizz!

Also, there's no bad weather, just bad clothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 rootsman

On a gravel bike and thanks that's great!

A gravel bike will be fine.
    I did Leixlip to Mullingar and back last Summer (~130km) and it was lovely day out with safe segregated cycling :)

Might be worth researching it so you are more familiar with what you'll see. Royal Canal Runner has a number of articles on his site worth reading including A Guide to Staying on the Correct Side of the Royal Canal (although it's not difficult to follow the signs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

(although it's not difficult to follow the signs)

It is if you're me :pac: Then you end up cycling through fields for a couple of km on a road bike before re-emerging at the next bridge :D

Went kilcock to longwood and back again today. Its a wonderful set up and would be looking forward to getting more of it in over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I nearly did the whole thing from Spencer Dock to Cloondara at the weekend, minus the Deep Sinking. Unfortunately I had to bail off at Abbeyshrule to try make the train back home from Longford. Which I missed.

Wonderful cycle though!

Clonsilla to Confey was mucky though. I was on 35mm tyres (slicks) and I fell off once, and nearly did a few more times.

What is the Old Rail Trail like from Mullingar to Athlone? I think that might be preferable the next time, rather than finishing on random back roads in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Breezer wrote: »
    I nearly did the whole thing from Spencer Dock to Cloondara at the weekend, minus the Deep Sinking. Unfortunately I had to bail off at Abbeyshrule to try make the train back home from Longford. Which I missed.

Wonderful cycle though!

Clonsilla to Confey was mucky though. I was on 35mm tyres (slicks) and I fell off once, and nearly did a few more times.

What is the Old Rail Trail like from Mullingar to Athlone? I think that might be preferable the next time, rather than finishing on random back roads in Longford.

Mullingar to Athlone is a very good surface. Very smooth, very straight, very fast.

Actually a slightly boring greenway for views but good for getting from A to B fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

Hey Folks,

Looking forward to taking on Mullingar to Dublin next week, could I ask a quick question regarding the surface. Is puncturing a concern? Would you recommend any particular places for a stop off? Any notable landmarks worth knowing about?

A bit random I know but thank you! I'll share my experience afterwards!

Punctures shouldn't be an issue. However, the surface from Leixlip to Castleknock ranges from poor to avoid (see this).
    See my post further up this page on the route and which side of the canal to be on.
    In terms of landmarks, there are one or two along the way such as where the canal crosses the Boyne
    The canal skims past both Enfield and Kilcock so you can pop in there if one of the pubs & restaurants along the route aren't to your liking (Mary Lynch’s where the canal meets the M4 at Coralstown; Nanny Quinn’s bar and restaurant near Killucan; and Furey’s tin-roofed bar on the edge of the canal at Moyvalley).
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/walk-cycle-or-fly-the-130km-royal-canal-greenway-to-open-this-summer-1.4518162

KevRossi wrote: »
    Mullingar to Athlone is a very good surface. Very smooth, very straight, very fast.

Actually a slightly boring greenway for views but good for getting from A to B fast.

This really. Good for kids, lined by weed covered embankment, much less scenic than canal.

• Advertisement

rcklap wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

Would you recommend any particular places for a stop off? Any notable landmarks worth knowing about?

Longwood is a nice stop. You've got Ribbontale canoe harbour and a bit further on Ribbontail Bridge
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/isW1ecB4FM5pmQGJA where there's a trail into longwood

Advertisement