Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and possible tornadoes Saturday

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There's a very heavy cell just moving east from Galway City at the moment, could see a strike from it before it dies out

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/latest_radar.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Although the clouds promised much and there were some impressive downpours there hasn't been so much as a whiff of thunder so far in Galway today or last night for that matter (cue laughter & I told ya so's from Tuam).
    Rainfall totalling 5.1mm so far today, the last shower contributing 1.8mm to that total.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Su Campu wrote: »
    There's a very heavy cell just moving east from Galway City at the moment, could see a strike from it before it dies out

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/latest_radar.gif

Looks to be weakening now on the latest pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Suns shining again in Lucan and only a faint breeze. The thundery bursts so far have been pretty short,averaging 10 minutes and then moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

another small cell approches,heres some crap pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A bright spot amongst the gloom!

IMG_20100911_180438.jpg

One last big shower heading just to the south of me through Kildare, containing some heavy bursts, but nothing in the way of lightning I fear.

latest_radar.gif

Today's been a bit of a dissapointment lightning-wise, after promising so much, it didn't deliver as many strikes as I had hoped for.

Still, we haven't done too badly over the last 7 days I suppose, with Cork at least claiming to be the lightning capital of Ireland (we'll give them that one!) :)

127292.png

Actually, there have been some more strikes in the last hour, with a few more off the Wicklow coast, and that one in Kildare seems to be giving one last try to up the numbers for the day, giving one strike just south of Naas at 7pm. Good on ya! ;)

127296.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just finished watching this, It's very good if anyone is interested.

http://www.documentary-log.com/you-are-watching-lightning-nature-strikes-back/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Today's been a bit of a dissapointment lightning-wise, after promising so much, it didn't deliver as many strikes as I had hoped for.

You should try the oul reverse psychology method Su ;)

But seriously, that is the nature of Ireland's weather, expect disappointment, and you will not be disappointed. Today did promise more than it delivered. I thought myself it could have been a much more tempestuous day than it was. But what harm, we will know how to better deal with a similar sitiuation should it arise the next time!

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, I thought they'd say more than that. They're usually spot on, but yes, let's hope they've underestimated this one (but I betchya they haven't!) :rolleyes:

That was what I said last night about the "unoptimistic", shall we say, ESTOFEX forecast, but yet again, they were spot on with their
    ...weakly electrified thunderstorms are well possible but severe weather should be unlikely.
    statement :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Yea really disappointed with today alright after so much promise... well look on the bright side, we got to see some really impressive convective cloud displays.:)

Advertisement