Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Not to drag off topic but what did you think of Duinrell?

Been twice & love the place. Only downside is the cost of the indoor pool/slides.

Got it last year on the newspaper coupons for €350 for a week. Flights to AMS are usually cheap enough all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

fdevine wrote:
    Been twice & love the place. Only downside is the cost of the indoor pool/slides.

We're considering Dunriel for next year. Kids will be 3, 6 and 9.

My concerns are weather and missing the France vibe.

Is there much to do in the area if weather goes against you?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

flew last couple years, 3 kids 5-12, will never go boat again, much easier on all concerned and cheaper too. You can also pick parks which are only 1 hour away which is a godsend

Are the people that fly and feel it's cheaper, do ye go in peak season time?. We go end of June, and I can never get the flights to be cheaper or match the ferry prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭sceach16

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Are the people that fly and feel it's cheaper, do ye go in peak season time?. We go end of June, and I can never get the flights to be cheaper or match the ferry prices?

Apart from that, how do ye get a bootfull of wine and sauces and spices and loads of other things home? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

first 2 weeks of july for 4 to.toulouse, 1000 euro.

• Advertisement

sceach16 wrote: »
    Apart from that, how do ye get a bootfull of wine and sauces and spices and loads of other things home? :confused::confused::confused:

yeah no wine. But the spices in our indian local.shop is way ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

yeah no wine. But the spices in our indian local.shop is way ahead.

We save enough on wine to cover most of the cost of the trip!

first 2 weeks of july for 4 to.toulouse, 1000 euro.

Do u hire a car? What does that come in at roughly? TIA

Do u hire a car? What does that come in at roughly? TIA

yeah car hire usually around 350 for the two weeks.

First Up wrote: »
    We save enough on wine to cover most of the cost of the trip!

Not big wine drinkers. We still have red wine from 4 years ago:)

We go south for the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

question on Tescos vouchers and Irish Ferries.... If you add in the vouchers does it bring you to a different booking page with higher prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Treppen wrote: »
    question on Tescos vouchers and Irish Ferries.... If you add in the vouchers does it bring you to a different booking page with higher prices?

I noticed the same thing. I think it is when there is a discout running, as there is at the moment, the discout is removed. Kind of takes the gloss of using them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

Treppen wrote: »

No, prices are the same, there is just an admin fee added. Usually if you use the vouchers, they cannot be combined with offer, however, credit where it's due, if you ring them they usually honour the deal and let you pay with the vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Is there a limit to the amount of Tesco vouchers you can use per booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

Teeley wrote: »
    Is there a limit to the amount of Tesco vouchers you can use per booking?

Not with ferries but whatever camping companies take them, limit them to €500 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kindalen

webpal wrote: »
    Not with ferries but whatever camping companies take them, limit them to €500 afaik

Camping companies are not partners anymore. Only centreparcs in Longford take them now.

webpal wrote: »
    No, prices are the same, there is just an admin fee added. Usually if you use the vouchers, they cannot be combined with offer, however, credit where it's due, if you ring them they usually honour the deal and let you pay with the vouchers.

So would you begin by ringing then from the outset, or completely book online then ring and ask to add in the vouchers?

Someone mentioned about using polish eurocamps, had a check last night on a few locations, between €200-300 cheaper OMG... But the problem I saw was that they had limited dates avail compared to Irish site. I'm lucky that I work with a Polish guy so I can get him to book for me if we can find a location.. Google translate on the polish site creates some issues..

Edit. Saw it on FB that someone used the Polish site

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Strangely enough, in my experience of Eurocamp websites this year, the Irish one was consistently the cheapest. Polish site the most expensive the couple of times I looked at it

Strangely enough, in my experience of Eurocamp websites this year, the Irish one was consistently the cheapest. Polish site the most expensive the couple of times I looked at it

I was looking at late June... I had never used it before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 PDIDDYCORK99T

Ninesell wrote: »
    I had a short stay in La Rive near Biscarrosse. We used Brittany ferries into Roscoff as it arrived in earlier in the morning than the other options (shorter crossing too!). It’s a long drive and I think you need that early start for breaks with kids if you are not stopping overnight.

Hi Ninesell, I'm thinking of going to La Rive this summer.. I've two girls 8 + 10. Been to Clarys Plage last year and go on great...

Any recommendations with La Rive....will the girls be able to mix with others English speaking kids, or is it predominantly French speaking? Looks like a fab spot... thanks

Did you set your VPN to Poland:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Would anyone have a recommendation for accommodation in or around Bourges? We plan on stopping overnight there on way back to Cherbourg next summer

Peckham wrote: »
    We're considering Dunriel for next year. Kids will be 3, 6 and 9.

My concerns are weather and missing the France vibe.

Is there much to do in the area if weather goes against you?

Holland would be ideal if the weather could be guaranteed. May go against you, but you could be lucky. We went in July previously and and the weather was worse than going in June more recently.

On site the indoor pool complex is great for dull or rainy days. Tons of slides and a big wave pool. Plan it around the weather. When I say it's expensive I mean in the sense of every family member going every day.

In and around Wassenaar itself there's not a huge amount to do irrespective of the weather but the Hague is 20-25 minutes away. Scheveningen is a further 10 minutes from the Hague. Amsterdam is easily accessible in the other direction. Leiden is 15-20 minutes away and is well worth a visit.

Lots of galleries, museums & attractions in every direction. Some better than others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

fdevine wrote: »

On site the indoor pool complex is great for dull or rainy days. Tons of slides and a big wave pool. Plan it around the weather. When I say it's expensive I mean in the sense of every family member going every day.

I see the indoor pool & slides is €7.50 per day extra. What else must be paid for on site?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I see the indoor pool & slides is €7.50 per day extra. What else must be paid for on site?

the amusement park is free; I think the waterpark is free if you are staying in the campsite's own accommodation

we were there last Easter and are going back next year - the indoor waterpark is amazing, really fast slides, better than anything on any French site we've been on. They were renovating the outdoor pools at the time, but it wasn't really the time of year for them anyway. The "pub" is very noisy and chaotic (there's bowling and amusements in the same area), we didn't spend any time in it.

There's an incredible car museum in the Hague, about 20 minutes drive from the site, one of the best in the world. Amsterdam is very touristy but Leiden as others have said is lovely; as is the Hague. Other than that, the usual Dutch attractions - windmills, tulips, drugs, stroopwaffels etc.

As loyatemu has confirmed the theme park is free. There are one or two €1 a go things but all the major rides are free

Mini bowling & amusements in the pub are all payable. Pub wasn't crowded or noisy when we were there but wasn't quite high season. Pub has been fully renovated though and is much more open than it used to be

The pool complex is €7.50 p.p. per day but you can't come and go for that. IIRC it's €5.50 for your first two hours and €2 per hour after that

Used to be you got two hours free before noon if you book your accommodation with Duinrell direct

Locally there a windmill & petting zoo which are both free. You can walk through the dunes to the beach

Leiden has lots to see & there are boat trips available on the canals

The Hague has some great galleries & museums. Madurodam is great. The car museum is the Louwmann and it's well worth a visit

Scheveningen has a nice beach, the pier, big wheel, Sealife, Glogolf & is due to get a Lego Discovery Centre this year

Has anyone used the company vacansoleil? Found a a location with great rates for 10 days on it... In June.. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has anyone used the company vacansoleil? Found a a location with great rates for 10 days on it... In June.. TIA

We did once in France.
    What we found was that there was actually no-one from the company at the Campsite but rather the accommodation was site owned and sold by Vacansoleil for more money. We paid a cleaning fee for the final clean but discovered that if we had just left the can dirty that the 'penalty' was about half of the fee.

So, I would check the set up of the individual Campsite. In our example above, we would go there again but just go direct with the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Ninesell

Hi Ninesell, I'm thinking of going to La Rive this summer.. I've two girls 8 + 10. Been to Clarys Plage last year and go on great...

Any recommendations with La Rive....will the girls be able to mix with others English speaking kids, or is it predominantly French speaking? Looks like a fab spot... thanks

It was a lovely spot. My kids would like to return as we only had a brief stop! The lake was nice and the kids enjoyed the pools. We didn’t do any exploring in the surrounding area so I can’t comment on that.
    I think there were plenty of English speaking kids but it’s not something that jumps out from my memory in the same way as our stay at Les Alicourts or Domain Des Ormes for example. Not sure if that was due to the short stay or the fact that the others had large numbers of Irish!

Advertisement