Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the luas at night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

ELM327 wrote: »
    And are we presuming that the cyclist should observe the luas lights which do not align with the correct light format in the SI?
    No, because the junctions which only have Luas lights are tram-only lanes, which are illegal to cycle on. Mixed-use roads with Luas tracks have regular lights
    The one outside Trinity where the bus and luas merge, someone will die there, cyclists constantly not obeying the lights there when on the track
    That section is a tram lane, it's illegal to cycle on the track part

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

machaseh wrote: »
    Well I guess I'll avoid the luas tracks at night from now on then. I am always just a bit afraid of biking on the quays you see.

Well, the easiest solution is to continue cycling it but to yield at all junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

28064212 wrote: »
    No, because the junctions which only have Luas lights are tram-only lanes, which are illegal to cycle on. Mixed-use roads with Luas tracks have regular lights

Well most cyclists in Dublin dont know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ok then the cyclist is wrong by default then as they shouldnt have been there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

ELM327 wrote: »
    Ok then the cyclist is wrong by default then as they shouldnt have been there at all.
    Yes, although the cyclist being in the wrong doesn't automatically absolve any and all other road users

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Yeah, illegal for any vehicle to proceed past the no-entry signs at the start of those luas-only sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I don't think that's the case. I'd say most of them know...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP if the luas line crossed a road I would have expected there to be a junction with lights, what state were the luas "traffic" lights in when you entered the junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

GreeBo wrote: »
    OP if the luas line crossed a road I would have expected there to be a junction with lights, what state were the luas "traffic" lights in when you entered the junction?

If they are luas type lights then presumably at night they are either off or at the horizontal for stop

salmocab wrote: »
    If they are luas type lights then presumably at night they are either off or at the horizontal for stop

Which is my point, how could the OP think he has right of way when facing a stop signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

GreeBo wrote: »
    Which is my point, how could the OP think he has right of way when facing a stop signal.

Based on the actual OP he was confident of no trams coming along and just started cycling without paying attention to the crossing. I don’t think he thought he had right of way I think he didn’t think at all about it.

salmocab wrote: »
    Based on the actual OP he was confident of no trams coming along and just started cycling without paying attention to the crossing. I don’t think he thought he had right of way I think he didn’t think at all about it.

Well he does clearly say in his first post "I thought I'd have right of way"

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh I didnt know

Why not allow cyclists at night if there's no luas anyway, or better yet construct a bike path along that route.

Because of people like you getting in accidents

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Because of people like you getting in accidents
    eh, if they did make it officially a cycle track, the signs and signals would obviously clarify right of way in a sense that's not needed at the moment.

anyway, welcome to the cycling forum; no need to be snippy, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Well I guess I'll avoid the luas tracks at night from now on then. I am always just a bit afraid of biking on the quays you see.

To be honest I'd go on using the backstreet with the Luas tracks (I do). It is definitely safer than the south quays. Just be careful at intersections, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most drivers heading east on Mayor St Upper don't seem to know the laws there either; https://goo.gl/maps/i3H51GdMo2DHWWmz7

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

daragh_ wrote: »
    Do Easons know that someone leaked their CCTV footage?

Advertisement