Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

mickdw wrote: »
    There is a fair chance the concrete with the water added would still make the grade as the 40N mix would likely reach alittle over 40 in normal circumstances.
    I would say 10 percent reduction maybe.

Effects of too much mixing water

Whilst adding water will in some cases facilitate easier placing, the disadvantages of this include the following:

• Lower compressive strengths.
    • Segregation of the concrete mix under certain conditions resulting in variable quality throughout the concrete mass.
    • Cracking - with too much water, there will be lower tensile strength, and a tendency towards high shrinkage and subsequent cracking.
    • Dusting and scaling - bleeding of excess water brings too many fines to the surface of floors.
    • Sand streaks - excess water bleeding up the sides of forms washes out cement paste and leaves an unsightly streaked surface.
    • Contamination - too much water in concrete placed on grades causes contamination from the subgrade with the concrete leading to an array of quality problems.
    • Permeability - voids left as excess water evaporates invite water to seep through walls and floors.
    • Dead losses - costly repairs, or in extreme cases, demolition and re-building at contractor's expense.
    http://www.holcim.com.au/products-and-services/tools-faqs-and-resources/do-it-yourself-diy/excess-water-in-concrete.html

Approximate compressive strengths for given water:cementitious ratios are shown below.

Cementitious binder needs less than half its own weight of water to turn concrete into durable construction material.

The "wetter" this cementitious paste is, the weaker it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

When i was an engineer on the construction of cork airport, we were using 50N concrete for all columns and beams. Particular floor slabs were 50N too but mostly 40N and no water added. Concrete of that strenght can be worked, you just need proper concrete men.

worked with 80N concrete in tunnels in London

Got a cancelled load from a reservoir once can't remember if it was 60 or 80n serious stuff .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Reggie. wrote: »
    Was bolloxed after it yesterday. Getting too old for it I reckon

Working cement is the one job that you need plenty of men with shovels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Working cement is the one job that you need plenty of men with shovels.

try it on your own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Couple of pics of a single slat lifter, that i made a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Couple of pics of a single slat lifter, that i made a few years ago.

now that is the **** right there.

What a job...well done Nek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Tis hard work alright when youre not used to it:D

Had to lay some on a fair slope and cuoldnt wet it, or twould run and that was just pure torture

I dont know how lads do it every week - they earn whatever they are paid anyways

ellewood wrote: »
    Tis hard work alright when youre not used to it:D

Had to lay some on a fair slope and cuoldnt wet it, or twould run and that was just pure torture

I dont know how lads do it every week - they earn whatever they are paid anyways
    Couldn't agree more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

ganmo wrote: »
    thats fightin talk ;)

just mean you need numbers for laying concrete. torture on your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I think Chris Lynch hires out ''magic screeds'', I wouldn't go near concrete on my own without one....really give a professional finish
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONJknqkj5-k

Have used one but it was in another county

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »
    I think Chris Lynch hires out ''magic screeds'', I wouldn't go near concrete on my own without one....really give a professional finish
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONJknqkj5-k

Have used one but it was in another county

That looks like a right job that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

I have a 698T that suffers from a combination of neglect and being a 600 series MF. Mudguards are now so bad that they no longer are able to support the weight of the lights.

7EEE598328F1402D8861C329FBE9B333-0000321494-0003753361-00800L-B32B037ABFE046CB8AD6DB8CB75BBC75.jpg

so off they come, also welded in some box section to support the new mudguards.

B7D6406B7BBD469D95DE5BAAFC331536-0000321494-0003753363-00800L-FB5E9E232F154215BC88CF3B09439196.jpg

cut and folded some steal.

16068A73E30F4AD6A3C2290B83AC38C0-0000321494-0003753359-00800L-f.jpg

and finally

4EF936EE917941A2ACE1DE0B0E2D4F24-0000321494-0003753364-00800L-65A1860CADAF4FF6B10AF034A6644CD6.jpg

Still a work in progress and just the start of a general clean up of this old tractor.

stock> wrote: »

That's a serious credit there. Noticed they have like a little sleigh they pull up and down the slopes too. An experienced team with a way of working make it look so easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

I've no doubt it can be but pure hardship id say unless you've a way of working it. How much would it impact the strength by adding water?

I attended an Irish Cement presentation many years ago in Bolton Street and they advised that for every1%excess water added theres a consequential 9% reduction in strength
    Now we all know that 1% is very little and very often there are cube and core failures as a result of honeycombing caused x excess h2o
    So as a result all the concrete suppliers have a tick box on their dockets stating water added on site
    In the event of a strength issue this absolves the supplier of any responsibility

I attended an Irish Cement presentation many years ago in Bolton Street and they advised that for every1%excess water added theres a consequential 9% reduction in strength
    Now we all know that 1% is very little and very often there are cube and core failures as a result of honeycombing caused x excess h2o
    So as a result all the concrete suppliers have a tick box on their dockets stating water added on site
    In the event of a strength issue this absolves the supplier of any responsibility

I noticed that and wondered why it was there.

The cement arrives bone dry tho in the bottle. That couldn't be the way it's supposed to be tho as you'd never work it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

can't beat an early mornin start

gctest50 wrote: »

That's just showing off. Jaysus I feel like an amateur with me piece of timber tapping away

I noticed that and wondered why it was there.

The cement arrives bone dry tho in the bottle. That couldn't be the way it's supposed to be tho as you'd never work it

If you can see the cement then theres a mixer problem at the plant
    Maybe you mean concrete
    if the cement was visible the bottle would be fukkd

If you can see the cement then theres a mixer problem at the plant
    Maybe you mean concrete
    if the cement was visible the bottle would be fukkd

I mean the concrete comes from the bottle very dry as in lumps. No flow in it at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Apart from silage slabs most concrete jobs on farms are none the worse for adding some water, just try breaking it out after 20 years.isnt it a 100 years before it reachs max strength anyway but higher newton strengthen s quicker.

keep going wrote: »
    Apart from silage slabs most concrete jobs on farms are none the worse for adding some water, just try breaking it out after 20 years.isnt it a 100 years before it reachs max strength anyway but higher newton strengthen s quicker.
    10 days to go off
    30 years to maturity and after 40 starts to deteriorate

10 days to go off

I thought it was 3 weeks until concrete hit it's full strength

technically incrementally increasing in strength x 30 years afai remember

gctest50 wrote: »

Them lads are using a roller a great job they are, then finishing it with a bull float & magic screed. The final finish was a ride on powerfloat. Ambient temperature can play a large part in the curing of concrete which is why a lot of concrete crews in hotter climes work at night or early morning.

technically incrementally increasing in strength x 30 years afai remember

Within 24hrs it reaches 3/4 strength but not full cured, full strength by 21 days and continues to cure. The use of admixtures will alter the curing process in different ways depending on what is wanted either slowing or speeding up the curing time.
    The addition of aluminium power to a mix causes the concrete to foam and not to be as dense but it gives off hydrogen gas in the process.
    The use of super plasticizers will decrease the slump but increase the workability allowing the concrete to be pumped to great distances.
    Self compacting concrete is now readily available.

stock> wrote: »
    Within 24hrs it reaches 3/4 strength but not full cured, full strength by 21 days and continues to cure. The use of admixtures will alter the curing process in different ways depending on what is wanted either slowing or speeding up the curing time.
    The addition of aluminium power to a mix causes the concrete to foam and not to be as dense but it gives off hydrogen gas in the process.
    The use of super plasticizers will decrease the slump but increase the workability allowing the concrete to be pumped to great distances.
    Self compacting concrete is now readily available.

What would you make of the fibre added to concrete. It's benefits if any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

10 days to go off

What sort of depth or does it matter have a floor of a shed in and it's six inches thick

What would you make of the fibre added to concrete. It's benefits if any

Yes not as good as correctly placed and tied rebar but better than unreinforced concrete, the secret to good floors or yards is the underlying substructure. Poor foundation then no matter what depth of concrete or reinforcement will stop it cracking.

What hasn't been mentioned here is the effect of concrete cancer or what sulphides or other naturally occurring substances can do to weaken concrete.................

• Advertisement

Hate fibre in concrete hard to get a nice finish on it especially if you're power floating it.
    4 inches of concrete is enough for most shed floors if you have a good base, 5-6 if using a forklift or loader on it regularly.

td5man wrote: »
    Hate fibre in concrete hard to get a nice finish on it especially if you're power floating it.
    4 inches of concrete is enough for most shed floors if you have a good base, 5-6 if using a forklift or loader on it regularly.

But most farm sheds and yards would be looking for a rough finish would they not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

"foxy wrote:
    The cube test is the real indicator of the final strength of a mix. This gives the final Newton strength.

Great craic in college making up the cubes and crushing them. See who could make the strongest. Some bang when they'd go. Thank God for the safety cage around them.

Anyone can and should take sample cubes and send them off to be tested. especially if getting a few loads. A lot of money to be leaving to chance. It's like spreading fertiliser without soil testing only worse because you can't correct it the following year! !

But most farm sheds and yards would be looking for a rough finish would they not

There's rough and there's rough iykwim.

Muckit wrote: »
    Great craic in college making up the cubes and crushing them. See who could make the strongest. Some bang when they'd go. Thank God for the safety cage around them.

Anyone can and should take sample cubes and send them off to be tested. especially if getting a few loads. A lot of money to be leaving to chance. It's like spreading fertiliser without soil testing only worse because you can't correct it the following year! !

Kilsaran have a lad going round taking cubes on site must be check the customer hasn't added too much water.

td5man wrote: »
    There's rough and there's rough iykwim.

I got a near dead smooth unintentional finish on one pad but there was alot of water added tho which wasn't ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Muckit wrote: »

Is it not too late at that stage? I'd imagine it takes a few days for the results to come back and you're floor is well set by then. Would you get compensation or are they required to replace it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I got one load of readymix here back in 97 for the wall of a tank. It was like watching marbles coming out of the drum. Almost no sand in the mix. Only for pokering the living daylights out of it I'd say it would be porous. Driver said it was the first load out that morning after bank holiday.
    Same happened to another lad in the parish back in 08. Dept insisted that the wall be demolished. It was so bad that you could see through it in places. Some dose with all the Grant spec reinforcing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I got a near dead smooth unintentional finish on one pad but there was alot of water added tho which wasn't ideal.

Yes but you'll get a nice finish with a power screed without overdoing the water that you wont's get with a plank

rangler1 wrote: »
    Yes but you'll get a nice finish with a power screed without overdoing the water that you wont's get with a plank

Oh I fully understand that. Just was saying in relation to fibre being in the concrete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

We put down a floor in a shed in 2004, it was 25 x 45 ft., and 4 inches in most of it. No steel mesh. The midde of a hayshed.
    We mixed it with gravel at 6 to 1, in a mixer, wheeled it in and leveled with a 4x2 over the shapes we had made, then moved to the next bit and so on. One 4x2 got wedged in and is still there
    wde did it this way because money was tight and couldn't afford the load at once.
    Turned out it was the same price as mixing by hand. . ..
    Ten years on, and countless jcbs sitting on their jacks and buckets later, there's not a crack to be seen.
    And it was laid in November and December.

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwwpeZK2YVc

One for Reggie, I think!

Sorry about double post, guys.......

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

usi3ha.jpg

Decided this year is the last time im baling out all the 90 gallon troughs (plastic ones ) around the farm.. so fitted this jfc 1 inch drain off not really cheap at €7 each x 2 for each trough so €14 a trough but should last for years .A 34mm hole is perfect for them ... i used a bit that bores out for carcass hinges in kitchen doors.

BWmzyZ.jpg

AlHFXo.jpg

recycled springs from neighbours old trampoline .. can now set arms to size for machines without pulling in and out also stops arms from hitting tyres which they were always doing when in up position with nothing on .

usi3ha.jpg

Decided this year is the last time im baling out all the 90 gallon troughs (plastic ones ) around the farm.. so fitted this jfc 1 inch drain off not really cheap at €7 each x 2 for each trough so €14 a trough but should last for years .A 34mm hole is perfect for them ... i used a bit that bores out for carcass hinges in kitchen doors.

BWmzyZ.jpg

AlHFXo.jpg

recycled springs from neighbours old trampoline .. can now set arms to size for machines without pulling in and out also stops arms from hitting tyres which they were always doing when in up position with nothing on .
    Great stuff. Well done lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I didn't realise there was such a thing as a drain-off. I was cleaning a trough during the week and thinking what a pain it was. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone use Hyundai welding rods? Local coop started stocking them as they're cheaper than Oerlikon. Have been using them with a while but notice that when using a new rod the arc keeps breaking till nearly half the rod is burned. Will burn grand and continuously then to the finish. Drove me demented last night.Thought it might be dampness but have an older open box of Oerlikon 4mm that burn fine start to finish.

Anyone use Hyundai welding rods? Local coop started stocking them as they're cheaper than Oerlikon. Have been using them with a while but notice that when using a new rod the arc keeps breaking till nearly half the rod is burned. Will burn grand and continuously then to the finish. Drove me demented last night.Thought it might be dampness but have an older open box of Oerlikon 4mm that burn fine start to finish.
    I buy from wholesale welding supplies online. Buy their own brand stuff. It's good products and alot cheaper than big company named products

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Haven't used them but heard they're very spluttery.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Have used them before, didn't take much notice of them. Did find them fairly cheap so i suppose you get what you pay for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

raypallas wrote: »
    Have used them before, didn't take much notice of them. Did find them fairly cheap so i suppose you get what you pay for!

Any chance they are damp. By the time you have gotten to half way they are dried out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement