Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big bags of fert with one tractor ?

• 19-04-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Vl1uYial.png?1

This is what I do with big bags of fert. What do other people do when have only one tractor? This works but is a bit slow, have to cut on side and sort of pull the bag forward. Thinking of some sort of grid to put bags on that could back spinner under it...

modnote- I edited in your image pms7 as your name was on the Flickr a/c.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

too dangerous looking for my liking, 1 slip and bang your head off the spreader

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

I have heard of guys using a hook that's attached to a overhanging girder that you back in under, but haven't seen it myself.

Be interested to know myself, I only have an old Vicon spreader that holds 2 big bags and a dodgy Massey that really doesn't steer so well, so it could take me the bones of 5 minutes to line a back over the spinner even if the bag is beside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

I have an out farm about 6miles away. I got an old steel street light pole from an uncle in the ESB. I welded an arm onto it at a height which allows me to hang the bag off the arm usingvthe front loader, then spin around and back the spinner under the bag. Works well for me but you need a front loader.

a neighbour has a gantry in the yard set up with a winch on it. He leaves the fert within reach of the winch when its delivered and rises it using the winch as he has no front loader. He only spreads about 4 tonne a year so I reckon small bags would be far handier for him in his case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

my post is pointless to the op but I have a digger (terex 860) to load the bags but this year I bought all the urea in small bags. I noticed while I was fecking around getting the digger out of the shed I had the small bags loaded. going to carry on with small bags for another 10 tonne or because I actually want to stock up in the bags (use them for rubbish etc).

f140 wrote: »
    my post is pointless to the op but I have a digger (terex 860) to load the bags but this year I bought all the urea in small bags. I noticed while I was fecking around getting the digger out of the shed I had the small bags loaded. going to carry on with small bags for another 10 tonne or because I actually want to stock up in the bags (use them for rubbish etc).

Small bags are handy alright but take a fools advice and have the pallets up on a bale trailer or something similar when loading the spinner. Lifting them from the ground up to the edge of the spinner is a real recipe for back injury. There is a good reason that nearly all other bags are gone to 20-25kgs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

That's my way lads

mahoney_j wrote: »
    That's my way lads

Very similar to my setup on the outfarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Grueller wrote: »
    Small bags are handy alright but take a fools advice and have the pallets up on a bale trailer or something similar when loading the spinner. Lifting them from the ground up to the edge of the spinner is a real recipe for back injury. There is a good reason that nearly all other bags are gone to 20-25kgs.

Best advice right there. Chest height is a must and takes at least 70% off the effort required

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Only made one for a farmer a few weeks ago , big rsj and one a short one on top with a 4 inch pipe welded to it, there hanging 2 bags off it and working well , when his lease is up it will be moved on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

f140 wrote: »

If ya want small bags there's plenty here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Well we use the digger to lift the bags and it's a god send, if both of us are around one of use will bring the bags up the field while the other is spreading really shortens the job.

Used to use small bags and do the odd time but not great for the back. Used to leave them in the trailer which made them easier to tip into the spinner.

Cousin bought one of these last year and is very happy with it. He loads one into the spinner the brings another up the field with him and leaves it in the field and loads that with out having to go back to the yard. It's the job if you don't have a loader.
    http://www.cashels.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Power-Crane.pdf

Also I remember a guy made a frame on wheels for loading the spinner

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Well we use the digger to lift the bags and it's a god send, if both of us are around one of use will bring the bags up the field while the other is spreading really shortens the job.

Used to use small bags and do the odd time but not great for the back. Used to leave them in the trailer which made them easier to tip into the spinner.

Cousin bought one of these last year and is very happy with it. He loads one into the spinner the brings another up the field with him and leaves it in the field and loads that with out having to go back to the yard. It's the job if you don't have a loader.

I see a good few big fert spreaders come with them nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Be grand but you need a loader to lift the bags still but at least it's mobile

ganmo wrote: »
    at €1 thats a steal ;)

Wonder would he do a group discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

That's a good idea was going to build sone like that a few years ago, had an old hopper with a mesh bottom.

grazeaway wrote: »
    That's a good idea was going to build sone like that a few years ago, had an old hopper with a mesh bottom.

Wouldn't be hard but just make sure you had/have plenty of reinforcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

[QUOTE=Grueller;

Lifting them from the ground up to the edge of the spinner is a real recipe for back injury. There is a good reason that nearly all other bags are gone to 20-25kgs.[/QUOTE]

+1

Cannt understand why don't come in 25kg bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

pms7 wrote:
    This is what I do with big bags of fert. What do other people do when have only one tractor? This works but is a bit slow, have to cut on side and sort of pull the bag forward. Thinking of some sort of grid to put bags on that could back spinner under it...

Just a suggestion poster, why not put two railings (something like 1 1/4 pipe) across infront of the bags incase they fall down. If you put the first at a height of say 18 inches and the second at 30 inches it would stop the bags from falling. If you kept the pipes out 6 inches from the shelf, it would allow ya to cut the front of the bag and part of the bottom of the bag making it much easier to empty it.

Sorry about long post!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 williemakeit

Anyone use a chain hoist to lift big bags. I was thinking about having a1 ton chain hoist onto roof of shed.... any thoughts

Anyone use a chain hoist to lift big bags. I was thinking about having a1 ton chain hoist onto roof of shed.... any thoughts

Make sure the roof beam can take that kind of weight. Plus would you insurance cover it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

No one else have a forklift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

micraX wrote: »

Most farmyards I know wouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Will work if roof structure is up to it but it's damn slow. Use one here the odd time with big bags of ration to keep out of reach of vermin. Same speed up and down. PITH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

If you could get a reliable contractor with a bulk spreader for the big spreads and just pick up a couple of bags in the spreader at the co op for the small bits .??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

we have one tractor with a loader. we take off the spreader when filling. The spreader had the quick attach hooks for the lift arms, then just a matter of attaching the top link and pto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The legs look very light for holding I tonne. You would need something like boxed channel to support that weight and to last. That contraption will be rotting in the ditch in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

My brother used to run his business from our farm but he's moved to a better location and bigger warehouse. His forklift was lwft behind and my dad makes savage use of it. His back thanks the forlifk every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The legs look very light for holding I tonne. You would need something like boxed channel to support that weight and to last. That contraption will be rotting in the ditch in a few years.

You'd be surprised. The design does look good, with the legs spread out and it is galvanised.

The legs are hardly solid

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

raypallas wrote: »
    Just a suggestion poster, why not put two railings (something like 1 1/4 pipe) across infront of the bags incase they fall down. If you put the first at a height of say 18 inches and the second at 30 inches it would stop the bags from falling. If you kept the pipes out 6 inches from the shelf, it would allow ya to cut the front of the bag and part of the bottom of the bag making it much easier to empty it.

Sorry about long post!!!

Yep, good idea. Had thought about bars in front but was going making up something somewhere else. Sometimes you don't see the obvious! A few have fallen, but only while placing them. Or something along the lines of that Donedeal stand looks good. Mind you, I throw off the loader when spreading, so like to have a good few ready to go, especially if silage ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

My taught exactly , looks like 2 inch box not even braced down low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

forklift here and its useless unless its on concrete.

not sure about a skidsteer, would it have the lifting height

• Advertisement

forklift here and its useless unless its on concrete.

not sure about a skidsteer, would it have the lifting height

They'd prob be able to move them, not so sure about lifting up into a spinner
    either way I wouldn't be too keen about being the body in the seat doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Pallet forks on the digger bucket, great job.

Neighbour picked something like this for about 2500 a few years ago and put a shear grab on it for feeding cattle and cleaning out sheds in the winter, forks for lifting bags in the spring. Reckons 'twas money well spent.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/jcb-926-rough-terrain-forklift/9153236?offset=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Use a Jcb skid steer no bother to it , can carry 2 around the yard with ease but only ever lifted one at a time over the spinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I like this idea!

Also like idea of a forklift mast on a second tractor 3 point linkage.
    mahoney_j wrote: »
    That's my way lads

Had a set up like this. Used to lift bags with a bale spike here... Was a pain tbh to transfer the bag from the tine to the hook. Ended up using a strop arrangement to suspend the bag from the hook. Did not like climbing the ladder each time for that with bag suspended from loader.

Bought a crane lifter now. Expensive but full flexibility now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

yellow50HX wrote: »

A lot of lads who have them have a separate loader tractor but if you spread a lot they make a load of sense especially if they can lift the bags off a trailer. drop a trailer off in a field full of fertiliser. load yourself rather than having another man waiting around all day for you or having to continously go back to the yard

A lot of money for something that wont be used a huge amount but as my father would point out , if it saved your back once it fully paid for itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Use a Jcb skid steer no bother to it , can carry 2 around the yard with ease but only ever lifted one at a time over the spinner

Was thinking they should have no issues with lifting bags of fert, especially urea, at 375 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

C0N0R wrote: »
    Was thinking they should have no issues with lifting bags of fert, especially urea, at 375 kg.

2 600kg bags no bother around the yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone use one of those hydraulic extending crane lifters, that fit between the tractor and the spreader?
    You would probably need a 4wd with weights on the front, as it will move the actual spreader backwards another 8 inches or so.

http://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/bamlett-fertiliser-bag-lifter-crane/9064567?offset=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Anyone use one of those hydraulic extending crane lifters, that fit between the tractor and the spreader?
    You would probably need a 4wd with weights on the front, as it will move the actual spreader backwards another 8 inches or so.

http://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/bamlett-fertiliser-bag-lifter-crane/9064567?offset=7
    I've used one, great job for outside farms or rented ground. No need for front weights with fwd.

I've used one, great job for outside farms or rented ground. No need for front weights with fwd.

If you have a fuel tank at the front of the bonnet that should help the ballast too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Spotted this today while out on the road and thought of this thread..
    Nice bit of kit, not sure about a price though.. Looks like it would take three bags at a time..

of7bz8.jpg

_Brian wrote: »
    Spotted this today while out on the road and thought of this thread..
    Nice bit of kit, not sure about a price though.. Looks like it would take three bags at a time..

of7bz8.jpg
    Hardly the same one as in the donedeal ad further up the thread. Did it look sturdy Brian

You wouldn't want a weld to crack, or tip it whilst reversing

You wouldn't want a weld to crack, or tip it whilst reversing

I'd be welding a few bars to the legs for support

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'd be welding a few bars to the legs for support

And bolt it down into the ground

• Advertisement
Advertisement