30-03-2021, 15:05   #91
pauldry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
That is what the 850hPa temps are showing.
I mean the air temperatures so this is just freezing boredom then. Heating Bills etc. Hope the cold stays off for most of Easter Sunday. Wev an Easter egg hunt planned with kids
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-03-2021, 15:35   #92
Oscar Bravo

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/statu...972945922?s=19
30-03-2021, 15:46   #93
Nqp15hhu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
I mean the air temperatures so this is just freezing boredom then. Heating Bills etc. Hope the cold stays off for most of Easter Sunday. Wev an Easter egg hunt planned with kids
-11c is the record low max. You’re not going to get that in April.
Thanks from:
30-03-2021, 16:32   #94
compsys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
The air isn't as hot though as the land and seas are still relatively cool. If this were September it would be baking.
The Irish sea is about 8º now. In early September it can be as "high' as 16º. Makes a huge difference to those by the coast.
30-03-2021, 16:34   #95
fvp4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
The air isn't as hot though as the land and seas are still relatively cool. If this were September it would be baking.
I know. But 12° sounds colder than it feels when the sun is out. Is my point.
Advertisement
30-03-2021, 20:12   #96
Nqp15hhu
Banned

Think some of us could have snow cover on Monday morning and Tuesday morning. Gfs showing a lot of instability and snow showers from a straight northerly.

Exceeding no more than 2c here.
30-03-2021, 20:17   #97
Nqp15hhu
Banned

And ECM showing another arctic incursion on the 9th!

Plenty of opportunities for us to get some snow and possible lying snow! Great!

(2) thanks from:
30-03-2021, 23:59   #98
Meteorite58

One of the features showing up in the ECM for the upcoming cold spell from Sunday is potentially strong winds at times, nothing stormy but good strong cold winds with a Northerly aspect. A concern for Horticulturists and farmers I would think, severe shock to animals especially young lambs and calves I would have thought given the wind chill. Looking wintry and possibly hill snow in the W, NW and N and possibly mountains elsewhere, too early for exact details though. Looks like every sort of wintry showers with hail and will see nearer to the time for the risk of thunderstorms.

UKMO coming into the frame now and looking very cold indeed.

Could be fairly strong winds on N coasts at times. Some sharp frosts next week on the charts away from the windiest areas. There is no doubt the heating and fires will be needed for a while more.

31-03-2021, 00:39   #99
Nqp15hhu
Banned

Latest 18z GFS:

850's are about 1c warmer, however, the cold air lasts into Tuesday evening now.

Quite a cold day on Monday, with higher elevation areas potentially staying below freezing.

Exceptionally low thickness values:

So a window for snow of almost 3 days - I don't see any marginality. I do see the potential for low level areas to get a covering of snow, maybe even of a few centimetres if this plays out as shown.

It's hard to know though. I don't think we've had an airmass as cold as this in April in recent times.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-03-2021, 00:41   #100
Nqp15hhu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite58 View Post
One of the features showing up in the ECM for the upcoming cold spell from Sunday is potentially strong winds at times, nothing stormy but good strong cold winds with a Northerly aspect. A concern for Horticulturists and farmers I would think, severe shock to animals especially young lambs and calves I would have thought given the wind chill. Looking wintry and possibly hill snow in the W, NW and N and possibly mountains elsewhere, too early for exact details though. Looks like every sort of wintry showers with hail and will see nearer to the time for the risk of thunderstorms.

UKMO coming into the frame now and looking very cold indeed.

Could be fairly strong winds on N coasts at times. Some sharp frosts next week on the charts away from the windiest areas. There is no doubt the heating and fires will be needed for a while more.

Do you not think the very low thickness values (under 516 decametre) would put an end to any marginality?

I know on Sunday we had snow here down to low levels with -6c/-7c 850hpa values.
01-04-2021, 00:31   #101
Meteorite58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
Do you not think the very low thickness values (under 516 decametre) would put an end to any marginality?

I know on Sunday we had snow here down to low levels with -6c/-7c 850hpa values.
Looking very wintry indeed. Models in general very well aligned. In my very amateur opinion it may well snow to lower levels along Northern counties, maybe a bit inland, would think quite a high chance of snow on hills and mountains which would look spectacular against the bright blue early April sky on Monday. Going to be very windy later Sunday into Monday especially along the coasts. Some showers could be quite convective in nature. Hit and miss, could be some hail belting off the houses. Interested to see what the chance of thunderstorms will be but for now not much shear available, airflow very aligned with the Jet on a N to S route.

Whatever happens , happens. interesting spell of weather and no doubt a great chance for learning for the weather enthusiast. We will find out why it did or didn't snow in various places and how long it lasted or didn't. All shall be revealed and for me anyway quite an interesting set up.

ECM keeping the cold theme going out to +240

01-04-2021, 23:20   #102
Meteorite58

Cool outlook but not a lot of precipitation showing up especially the further S you move down the country and with the sun stronger now and the low humidity from the Northerly sourced winds the land should continue to dry well, maybe too well for farming dare I say ?

05-04-2021, 23:11   #103
Meteorite58

The cooler weather continuing on out to the end of the ECM 12Z run, GFS the same, shows signs of getting more precipitation around and after the weekend and wintry maybe at times more so high ground though.

09-04-2021, 21:58   #104
Oneiric 3

Longer term signals tending towards more spring like conditions with warmer temps and high pressure never really far away:

12-04-2021, 10:29   #105
pauldry

Another dry Spring appears on the cards. After only small amounts of rain the past few weeks the next couple of weeks look even drier with High Pressure over or near Ireland. Temperatures will be around normal too so some pleasant days ahead.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion