Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Championship 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

I count at least 11 Seniors playing!

I don't count the kids who are barely 50. They are not in the Covid-19 vulnerable group, but you are certainly one of the brave ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Yes, 27 now, up from 20 a few days ago.

Actually no, it was 26 went down to 25 and has gone back up but was not 20 for a very very long time.

In any case, we have no way of being sure what the numbers will be. After the trial run it might be better to guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

I guess I'll start by saying, you're going to just have to take my word for it on the feedback as I did the leg work here. If you don't, then I guess this post won't matter to you.
    spidersweb wrote: »
    Now with the withdrawal of Mark Quinn. One down and maybe another 20+ to go?

For a non guideline related reason. He still hopes to play but, with norm hopefuls in mind, I felt I should remove him from the draw so as to not falsely advertise norm chances at this stage.
    To cap it all all off, and as as if to underscore the impression of a certain contempt or utter indifference to all the participants there are no details about the prizes. Aside from a reference to a prize fund of 4000, There is no information about 1st,2nd, 3rd (4th 5th?) or about Grading prizes, if there are any, and if so, what are they.

There is a flyer. https://www.icu.ie/system/events/flyers/000/001/239/original/Irish_Championships_2020.pdf?1594466211
    Various minor irritants and intrusions that make for a potentially very unpleasant chess playing experience in which focusing and concentrating on just playing chess is made harder if not well nigh impossible.

What I would say to this is that everything at the door is not too dissimilar from an ECC or Olympiad style setup. Having your temperature taken from a distance? I don't see this as too dissimilar to being checked for a device. 100.4 is the generally accepted temperature which you should not go over and I'd imagine this will be ours but I don't know for sure and it will be published in advance. This is not something you can prep for so I didn't think it was a priority in our initial walk-through - I just wanted to let people know it would be happening. Giving a verbal waiver while this is happening? This is a matter of listening to and saying a few words. I don't think you have a problem with checking for devices or having somewhere to store your device; in the same way that those are a cost of checking for cheats (as best we can), the other checks are attempting to ensure health and safety.

I can't deny this is all an inconvenience; believe me - this is not what I wanted to spend my summer planning for either.
    This second absurdity is again an unnecessary imposition and more of a parody or freak show. It too could be tolerated IF it was the other way around and optional by default. As in, if two players want this then go ahead. Not allowing one player to dictate the playing conditions of both.

To clarify - you cannot change your preference from round to round. If you do not pick a preference, we will assume you are happy to play on one board. You will have the same conditions as your opponent in each round. I think it is unhelpful to suggest that a player would select the two board option for any reason other than their own and their loved ones health. If you think that this choice can be gamed, then I disagree completely.

We are guessing that there will be 1-4 players who choose the two-board option based on the feedback I received but I didn't hear from everybody so perhaps I'll be proved wrong.

I won't snip any particular quote on face masks if that's ok but just to tackle that below:

My girlfriend is on the Covid wards. She wears facemasks for 12 hours a day when she is on the long shift, and 10 hours a day otherwise. From March to May, they worked on 15 minute breaks every 4 hours. This is not a covid phenomena - face masks have been in use for decades and infectious disease and surgical departments wear them for the majority of their day. In developed countries, doctors live longer than similarly paid professionals. (I can provide a source if needed)

You are not being asked to do that. You must wear a facemask while your opponent is at the board. You can step outside and take it off for extended periods if you wish and have some respite while your opponent is not at the board.

On public transport, you are rarely facing the nearest person - in chess, you are for up to 6-7 hours and in the one board option, you are within 2 meters.

Leaving aside the crazy scenario of time scrambles and having to not only call out moves (imagine if there are lots of games with this happening?) but also to use a lever to press a chess clock? Is this a comedy show now?

Those boards will be in a separate part of the hall - which is twice the size of our usual Talbot room with fewer boards. Calling out moves is not unheard of as Gmac mentioned. The clocks have been tested by some of my fellow organisers but I have yet to see them in action but have had some input from tournaments abroad about it to get an idea for what to expect. I'll be there for the trial on Saturday.

Being 1 M apart from someone on the other side of a table with no contact and NOT TALKING is very safe so long as each player observes all the other guidelines and good practices. Not a shred of evidence to indicate otherwise.

This is very much disputed.

Might even be worthwhile for the ICU to contact each and every player (or their parents in many cases) and simply ask them if they prefer wearing masks be optional or not?

I did this for as many as I could - circa 70 players. A large majority understood the necessity of masks.
    How many listed as playing still intend to play now I wonder?[/B] "

I'm confident that 24 of the entries have read the guidelines and will be playing, based on their feedback, speaking with them and when they entered. 1 of the 27 I expect will be pulling out based on their feedback. 2 others I haven't spoke to about it as yet but are both paid entries. I'd imagine there will be 30-32 entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Thank you for all that and for all the work you are putting in to organizing the Championship. People seem to forget that it is done on a voluntary unpaid basis but then again some people are never happy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

General coronavirus and chess stuff moved to the coronavirus thread here.

Let's leave this for the build-up to the Irish itself.

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    General coronavirus and chess stuff moved to the coronavirus thread here.

Let's leave this for the build-up to the Irish itself.

My last post was all about the build up to the Irish ch and was directly responding to a post that is still here. I never mentioned the word not to be used once, yet ithe post was beamed over elsewhere like magic.

Talk about moving the goal posts.

What are you so afraid of? its ok to be wrong and this is about the Irish ch and not some other agendas right? Please either restore my response or maybe transfer more of the comments here?

I think I must have just misunderstood so many things and it has all since been explained and makes so much sense to me now.

My last post was all about the build up to the Irish ch and was directly responding to a post that is still here. I never mentioned the word not to be used once, yet ithe post was beamed over elsewhere like magic.

Talk about moving the goal posts.

What are you so afraid of? its ok to be wrong and this is about the Irish ch and not some other agendas right? Please either restore my response or maybe transfer more of the comments here?
    Mod note - the lengthy (and rather tedious) post which is primarily about coronavirus measures is here in the coronavirus thread (twice, in fact), where it belongs, and where it can be responded to.

I've left Retd Loyola Captain's post here as it primarily deals with the Irish Championships. I've just had to make a judgement call as to which post best belongs to which thread, but I don't want this thread getting clogged up with badly-informed coronavirus talk, and I do think informative posts on the Irish Championships (like RLC's) do belong here.

It didn't help that you almost entirely ignored RLC's post in your reply.

Don't post it in here again; it will just get moved again

28 entries now. I think that the numbers speak for themselves, most people are happy to play with the restrictions that are planned. Anyone with serious doubts about how well it will work could have played in the trial on Saturday to make an informed decision whether to play in the main event or not.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    28 entries now. I think that the numbers speak for themselves, most people are happy to play with the restrictions that are planned. Anyone with serious doubts about how well it will work could have played in the trial on Saturday to make an informed decision whether to play in the main event or not.

I think you are right. Spot on in fact. It is going to be the greatest Irish ch ever now.

Mod note - the lengthy (and rather tedious) post which is primarily about coronavirus measures is here in the coronavirus thread (twice, in fact), where it belongs, and where it can be responded to.

I've left Retd Loyola Captain's post here as it primarily deals with the Irish Championships. I've just had to make a judgement call as to which post best belongs to which thread, but I don't want this thread getting clogged up with badly-informed coronavirus talk, and I do think informative posts on the Irish Championships (like RLC's) do belong here.

It didn't help that you almost entirely ignored RLC's post in your reply.

Don't post it in here again; it will just get moved again

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation. I get it now. Makes so much sense.

• Advertisement

Who is the latest entry in the championship? As far as I can see he has a rating of 600

Could be someone just chancing it, or not realising what the entry requirements are.

Remember the site will take all entries, and they have to be moderated after.

The 1820 has been moved to the wildcard list, and this person probably will be too, unless they can show a foreign national rating I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

Could be someone just chancing it, or not realising what the entry requirements are.

Remember the site will take all entries, and they have to be moderated after.

David Tautkus is down as “FID” and no rating. Not IRL on the FIDE website.
    If that’s the same player, he is ineligible. Players must be registered IRL with FIDE in order to enter the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

If that’s the same player, he is ineligible. Players must be registered IRL with FIDE in order to enter the championship.

Unless my memory fails me if he is an Irish citizen he also qualifies?

Joedryan wrote: »
    Unless my memory fails me if he is an Irish citizen he also qualifies?

From the conditions of entry: “ all entrants to the main week-long event must be registered as IRL with FIDE.”

From the conditions of entry: “ all entrants to the main week-long event must be registered as IRL with FIDE.”

Fair enough. I must be remembering it wrongly, thought that was the selection rule, but I suppose it makes it simpler.

Two board option

Two boards

One board

Thanks for those. The playing conditions look great and very safe!!

• Advertisement

Playing area

An outstanding piece of work by the organising committee!!!

Venue

I think that the ICU should make it clear before the championship commences what the penalty will be for anyone in violation of the safety rules. The simplest , and the best deterrent, would be to treat the non wearing of mask at the board the same as a phone going off.

If players feel the need to remove the mask for a short period, they can walk outside in the same way some players take a smoking break.
    As players will not be allowed to have phoned with them, this shouldn’t pose a problem.

And he's been removed again.

I think people are very quick to give out when an ineligible player suddenly appears on an entry list - I think we should acknowledge that there's a volunteer moderation of entries behind the scenes, which seems to work well, if it's given a little bit of time!

32 entries now. Not far off last year's 38, although the top two players from last year (Lopez and Murphy) are missing. Still, really encouraging to see overall.

Irish Championship safety measures https://youtu.be/GwuZJsJ8XE8

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

That looks absolutely fantastic.

Whats the refreshment situation? is there a coffee machine nearby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 dave grant

Yes you will be able to make a cup of tea or coffee on site.

Advertisement