Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ha, I never even considered that but totally makes sense!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One thing I’ll always say though: properly engaging with criticism is to allow and respect alternative opinions, once they come from a genuine, thoughtful and honest place. I used to be wary of IGN, but in recent years I think they’ve improved thanks to new writers and editors. But there’s plenty of other outlets I’d still be cautious about since they seem to exist solely as Metacritic fodder (though, to be fair, maybe the writers themselves don’t see it that way).

Eurogamer gave Hellblade II five stars. I’d probably give it one star, maybe two if I was feeling generous. But I know the outlet and writer so am happy to accept that review as a genuine one, even if I disagree with the conclusion.

I do think there’s a real place for games criticism in highlighting new games and hopefully leading you towards something you mightn’t have considered otherwise (or vice versa, in some cases). Plenty of games I mightn’t have discovered had it not been for a positive review somewhere. But I definitely don’t think even the outlets I trust exist solely to echo my own opinion or, worse, preconceived expectation back at me. Sadly, look at any comment section or thread about an ‘outlier’ review and you’ll inevitably see people furious someone dares have an opinion about a game (that the furious soul likely hasn’t even played yet) that doesn’t align with their own. No surprise some outlets seem to exist to give that audience what they want.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That popped up in my YT feed a week or so ago for some reason, looking forward to it and will be the first time in ages the Switch has gotten any use. I vaguely remember playing Mystical Ninja on the Snes many moons ago so hoping this rekindles some of those memories.

Any idea if it'll have a physical release?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Couldn't tell you. I say there's a good possibility there will be more at the Nintendo direct today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Good old Nintendo direct to add a bit of splash and colour and fun to the video game landscape.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Haven’t had quite as much time as I’d like to play it, but Tactical Breach Wizards really is proving quite exceptional.

The new powers that unlock have had me cackling a few times as my brain has started considering the gameplay opportunities they afford. There’s one called ‘broom breach’ in particular which took me a minute to figure out how it worked, but then once I copped it realised it had just blown the whole game wide open again.

Also special shoutout to the levelling system. While not as transformative as the core powers, each upgrade feels meaningful and useful - all the options available are usually pretty tempting. In a world where levelling up often boils down to ‘+4% elemental damage to armoured enemies’, these substantial upgrades are a lot more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pete Complete on Youtube does a series of Rimworld playthroughs that prompted my partner to get into it. He's a nearly vanilla experience, some QoL mods occasionally. But he's an excellent storyteller and I heartily recommend giving them a watch. Very entertaining.

Shame there was nothing decent shown, unless you like dating household furniture… Wtf was that about. 😂

Oh crap, it was a partner/indie direct. No first party stuff at all. 😭

Just reading some of the announcements online and a lot of people are excited for the games coming. A lot of re-releases it seems.

Trails in the Sky remake should be good since it's one of the all time great RPGs.

And a DS Castlevania collection with Haunted Castle thrown in for some strange reason but maybe they will remake that game to actually be good this time. But the other 3 games on that list and fantastic.

And looks like Power Stone rerelease.

• Advertisement

Yeah a good few re-releases of older stuff (that aren't be my cup of tea) - probably to be expected though seeing as the Switch is end of life pretty much. Actually, just remembered that there is a Gris sequel of sorts getting released, Neva. Which reminds me, I have Gris on my PS wishlist and it's on sale atm so must pick that up. Ah, Bakeru will do me for the time being anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Has anyone played the remastered Mario v Donkey Kong on Switch? Was a bit apprehensive given the price and length of the game but its currently down from €60 to €35 so I'm tempted.

I played the demo and it's not worth 35 euro. Nintendo are taking the piss here. 60 euro, oh my God, is that digital ? 🤣

Thanks! Yeah usually 60 for physical or digital. Down to 40 for physical and 35 digital.

HLTB is how long it will take to see the credits. There's a whole set of levels after the credits that doubles the size of the game to about 10 hours (8 isn't realistic from my experience with the GBA game). They might have added more for the switch version.

Anyway I remember the game being a really good follow up to the 1994 Gameboy donkey Kong game, not quite a good as that all time classic but still a damn fine game. It's more puzzle platformer than Mario game. It's definitely worth 35, but 60 is a bit steep unless they added substantially more levels.

Try the demo. If you like it, buy physical for 40, play it, sell to CEX for 24.

Suikoden 1 and 2 coming the 6th March and you will all be playing it and then telling me I was right that it's better than FF7.

Seems that collection of DS Castlevania games has a remake of the pretty **** arcade Castlevania, Haunted Castle. However it's not just any remake. It's a ground up reimagining by M2, the team behind the excellent wiiware Castlevania game, and it's meant to be exceptional.

Just saw what's on that Capcom fighting collection. Great selection of games that have been stuck on systems like the Dreamcast. The version of street fighter alpha 3 was released on the Naomi arcade board but never ported to home consoles. It has all the extra characters from the PlayStation and Saturn versions. It unfortunately doesn't have the extras from the PSP version which is the most complete version of the game, would love to see that and the psp version of darkstalkers sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I really want this collection. I played a good bit of the first game but kinda soft locked myself due to an unfortunate equipment choice as I progressed through the game. But I was enjoying it once I got past the first hour or so, and everything I've heard is the second is better again

I was looking at this, and thought I saw a flash of a game I remembered from my youth under a different name? Is "Project Justice" a different game from "Rival Schools"?

Kind of hard to softlock yourself in the suikoden games? The game kind of has a nice difficulty modifier where the main character has abilities that instantly kill enemies. So if you go into a dungeon with level 1 characters you just use those spells and those characters will level up fast to the recommended level for that area.

As for project justice, it's a sequel to rival schools. I think this is just the arcade version, I know the home versions of both games had loads of extra content and a whole story mode that was removed from western releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Basically had the accessory that gets you back to home base on a character that dies half way through the game and didn't realise I did actually lose all the equipment. Apparently there is a way to get the character back but it was hours away and having to trudge across the world map to get back to base was too painful to do regularly.

softlocked may be the wrong word ^ :)

Ah that's a bit of a bummer. You don't get him back until right before the final dungeon so would have been worthless. The game though is remarkably short for an RPG, only about 8 to 10 hours.

Continuing to love the look of despelote. Very unique aesthethic, very novel and personal setting of early 00s Ecuador, and one of the more intriguing gameplay uses of a football I've seen in a long time.

That new Famicom Detective club game is getting great reviews:

Nintendo just continue to embarrass everyone else.

Fell really happy for the lead developer who has been with Nintendo for 40 years and has waited 35 years to get a new game in the series out.

• Advertisement

Nintendo manage to keep their employees for a long time it seems. And even the people producing games in 1984 are still producing games in 2024. Maybe they've all been given sealed NES games at this stage. Instead of a bonus you get a sealed copy of SMB.

Looks like stalker fans are getting the real stalker experience with the new trilogy collection. Looks like it's quite buggy.

Got the new Castlevania collection and had a quick go of the Haunted Castle remake and it fantastic. Makes such a crappy game so much better. I'd recommend playing with the scanlines and blur option as it's just a noisy pixelated mess otherwise. Looks fantastic with the blur and scanlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

I played them when they came out, being buggy is not what stuck with me, but it was the incredible atmosphere which no other game has replicated until now. And I'm pretty sure no one worked on them, bugs didn't fix themselves, and this is just an opportunistic sale to capitalize on the anticipation of STALKER II.

• Advertisement

I've played shadow of Chernobyl and clear sky and shadow of Chernobyl was one of the best games I've ever played. Adored it. I didn't experience too many bugs as well as I played it pretty late with fan patches. Clear sky was... Fine. I think you can safely ignore that one and just play the third in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's always funny seeing things like "Play the trilogy before the second game comes out".

Makes me wonder what series has the most games between numbered releases. Street Fighter?

Others just abandon numbers after a while like Assassin's Creed.

I'm thorn between Shadow Of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat, both are brilliant. Clear Sky is just good, but nothing too special.

Finally started playing Sable a couple of days ago on the PS5 which I had been looking forward to for a long time and got added through PS Plus recently.

Well thank god it was a PS Plus game as the game's performance is absolutely shocking. It might be one of the worst games that I've personally played on the PS5 for consistent performance issues. There looks like such a good game behind the tech issues but the developers abandoned the game (for cost reasons) which is a huge shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

Ya I didn't last long playing it either when in game pass..

The Shadow of the Ninja remake came out today. Definitely will give it a spin later. It's by the same team that made the incredible Wild Guns, Ninja Warriors and Rocky and Pocky remakes so should be great (and the origin is an NES classic).

With this and Haunted Castle remake, we are eating good when it comes to classic action games.

Haunted Castle Revisited is fantastic if a bit short and easy. It's a great little bonus to that Castlevania collection. Went back to play the old Haunted Castle and it's as garbage as I remember.

Also played a little of Shadow of the Ninja and it's as good as all the other Inin remakes of old Natsume games. Really good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not sure if anyone else has seen this or if it was already mentioned, but from the creators of Love, Death and Robots comes Secret Level, the same idea but all based on real games. Looks guuuuuuud!

Theres a Concord episode. Snigger

Interesting article about the success of Wukong. Had a feeling it was a bit bland and not the 10/10 masterpiece people on Twitter were trying to push.

• Advertisement

I think the most gaming journalism outlets did the right thing and stayed well away from what looks to be a manufactured "culture war" related to this game, but this one failed for it. It's a 8/10 game according to most, that is not mediocre, and it's 10/10 on user score only because Chinese gamers heavily supported it which is not something to be condemned.

Yeah guess you are right. It's the first big Chinese triple A game, there would probably be the same pride if Ireland ever had one. China does look set to become a big development country with a lot of developers doing great work on contract support studios now doing their own thing.

One of the creators of Wizardry passed away. If you enjoy any type of RPG, particularly JRPGs then you have this man to thank for the genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

Another Crab's Treasure is so good. A lot of platforming though that is actually quite tricky as you can fall through little cracks when walking on the likes of planks of wood. Bit annoying at first but you remember to be extra careful. Like when I play most games I try to see everything and collect everything too. There are hidden bosses throughout the game world. I have one more relic to collect out of five needed to upgrade my fork the last time. Earlier upgrades all you needed was three and four relics. I feel proud of myself as I found all I have so far without a guide. I'm coming up to the home stretch so hopefully there is one to get if not I missed one some where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

This might be fun for a few people. As someone who has played very few MMOs and never a space based one - I had only heard the name "EVE Online" in passing once or twice.

But I quite enjoyed this interview with a veteran of one of the largest and most famous battles in the game. Almost (but only almost) made me want to try the game myself :) even though MMOs are not my thing.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4wVbHhS7NuJtqQYaR5yqlr?si=zjmtgDh0QgSiXjUrswKUHg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero, I never knew you were a sk8r boi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

So long as it's better than TH pro skater 5. I still have that game(physical copy) I got for my Xbox One at release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I was in the attic last week and found a box that had some old gaming gear in it. I found the tony hawk skateboard accessory that was out when the whole rock band / guitar hero buzz was going on.

You stood on this thing and did tricks in real life that were reflected in the game was the theory. In reality you tried to turn, it took off across the room and you ended up on your arse.

Advertisement