Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wireless broadband in Dungarvan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Caseys recently updated the firmware in the Cisco EPC3925 routers. Ive spent the past three hours trying to access my Router because I needed to do a router Reset and the default password was changed. I wanted to change the WPA key to what I was given,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Use a network cable and all will be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Use a network cable and all will be well.

What if you want to connect with a laptop upstairs. Or your iphone. Or you want to sit in the garden, naked while watching Nationwide on RTE player? What use will a network cable be then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The network cable will allow you to change the settings needed to allow wireless users to use the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

deisedevil wrote: »
    Or you want to sit in the garden, naked while watching Nationwide on RTE player? What use will a network cable be then??

Mary Kennedy would make you do that alright.

• Advertisement

The network cable will allow you to change the settings needed to allow wireless users to use the router.
    I am well aware how to change the settings in the router. The problem was that caseys upgraded the firmware and the password changed with the firmware upgrade so I spent three hours trying to access the router with the cable plugged in. I finally got access to the routers settings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I think you may have picked it up wrong to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alfienoaks

Sully wrote: »
    Firstly, connect the router directly to your computer using an Ethernet connection.

Secondly, get the internal IP address of the router so we can get into the settings page and disable WiFi (wireless).

Tip: The Internal IP address can be found by going to Start -> Run -> cmd and typing "ipconfig". The results will give various details but you want to look for the "Default Gateway" which will be similar, maybe even exactly, to 192.168.0.1.

Thirdly, Open up your browser and type in http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (replace the Xs with the internal IP address you got in step 1. So for example, http://192.168.0.1). You will be asked to login with a user/pass. It might be "admin/admin" or "admin / W2402" or "admin/password" (the commonly default passwords for routers).

Finally, you are now in the settings page for your router. I cant go any further as I haven't a manual or screenshots of your admin page. But there will be an area in the settings to turn off the WiFi. You will also have settings to put a "password" on your WiFi so nobody can use it without.

Please bare in mind that this isn't the best forum for Technical Support. If you want, ill move your posts into the appropriate forum which will offer you assistance if they can and when they have time. Otherwise, I suggest calling your internet provider.

People have lives and post here freely, and voluntarily. If they can answer it, they will, and when they have time. If they don't reply, don't get rude as it will further turn people away from helping you. Just move on.

A reminder, txt spk isn't welcome on Boards.ie. We ask that people use the full keyboard in front of them and not abbreviate the majority of the words they type out. Why? Because its not a text message - you have plenty of room to type away and it wont cost you a cent. Its easier for everyone to read also.

Cheers.
    Thanks for this post - got me back on to my router to forward a few ports!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

does anyone know if caseys have a wireless service in dungarvan now, with a transmitter on the hill beside the seanachie?
    what kind of packages are they offering on this network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

sponge_bob wrote: »
    does anyone know if caseys have a wireless service in dungarvan now, with a transmitter on the hill beside the seanachie?
    what kind of packages are they offering on this network?

Call them http://www.cablesurf.com/

• Advertisement

In the past three weeks Caseys is being troublesome for me. Its not my computer because I always keep it maintained (I used to work in Steves PC supplies). Sometimes websites takes a second attempt to load and sometimes Youtube videos either dont load , only load half way and stop or just throws an error. Also He raised the prices by 70 cent without giving any notice and his upload speed went frrom just under 3mb/s to just over 1.6mb/s. I thought he promised higher upload speeds than 3mb/s were coming soon?

I can do a speedtest and post my results if its needed as proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Hey are you Steve from Castleinch, who has connections with Streatham?
    Brown bread and apple tarts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Steve30x wrote: »
    I thought he promised higher upload speeds than 3mb/s were coming soon?

He gives me faster than 3mb/s upload.

1764808318.png

Hey are you Steve from Castleinch, who has connections with Streatham?
    Brown bread and apple tarts
    Nope I am steve from Dungarvan co waterfore.

Mine is well below 3mb/s

1768117556.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Sorry SteveI thought you owned the shop in Dungarvan, apologies foxy:(

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

K , I've been absent from this thread for a while because I moved house and got a new modem ( Happy Days ).
    Recently however I've started to get this error(added as attachment) message whenever I try to diagnose problems with the connection.
    I've had a chat with Casey's and I was told to plug out the modem and plug it back in after X amount of time. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I can connect/use the internet without problem it's just strange seeing as the last modem which caused many problems for me never had this error message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    K , I've been absent from this thread for a while because I moved house and got a new modem ( Happy Days ).
    Recently however I've started to get this error(added as attachment) message whenever I try to diagnose problems with the connection.
    I've had a chat with Casey's and I was told to plug out the modem and plug it back in after X amount of time. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I can connect/use the internet without problem it's just strange seeing as the last modem which caused many problems for me never had this error message.

I've seen DNS problems on Caseys network a few times in the (historic) past when some of the modems were handing out the wrong DNS server addresses, but that's easy to solve as might be your issue if you add the names of suitable DNS servers on to any PC that you are using. OpenDNS has all the info
    www.opendns.org

and you can use their DNS servers. Basically you just find the properties for your network cards connection and add the DNS addresses to the tcp/ip section the openDNS server addresses are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Is anybody else having trouble with caseys with the past two weeks? Almost every time I try to load a web page its either extremely slow or doesnt load at all. Its only after the newest update to their 120MB/s router that the problems started. I have no control over the updates they upload to the modem / router either. i should really go into caseys and question them about this problem , but the last time I had trouble the guys that came to check the problem was blaming my equipment when it was their server was broken all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Thank yere lucky stars guys that ye do not live in Ring when it comes to internet. I only have a 3MB LINE AND BARELY GET 1.5mbps most days,had to switch to vodafone just to get unlimited cause eircom would not do it for me at the time. I have been hitting caseys every so often for several years and there is no sign of them coming out to Ring, i tell ya they would get a few customers if they did.

I get where you are coming from. when I got caseys first it was 3MB/s too then a few years later it went to 30mb/s. The biggest bottleneck with caseys is the abysmal upload speed towards his download speed. Honestly his upload speed should be 10% of the download speed towards the download speed and even at that it would be a bottleneck but not even close to what he offers now. I am only getting 1.8mb/s when I am supposed to be getting 3mb/s upload speed. We were promised that caseys would increase the upload speed nearly a year ago and its still the not good.

Have you considered going with Satellite internet?

• Advertisement

I will assume that was meant for me steve30x? Yes but several problems there,first no locals doing sat internet,second cost too much to install,third none of them give unlimited download and those that do charge well over 100euro per month for it.I am tied into vodafone until next april but if i found a decent sat provider that would not rape me on price i would consider leaving early. Must have un limited for under 50 euro per month otherwise whats the point?

Caseys cheapest is €50.60 so if he does eventually provide to ring you should be on the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Is anybody else having trouble with caseys with the past two weeks? Almost every time I try to load a web page its either extremely slow or doesnt load at all. Its only after the newest update to their 120MB/s router that the problems started. I have no control over the updates they upload to the modem / router either. i should really go into caseys and question them about this problem , but the last time I had trouble the guys that came to check the problem was blaming my equipment when it was their server was broken all along.

afaik there are no updates loaded to the modem/router other than std dhcp info and you can access the router with the old scientific america password (they were taken over by cisco) if you need to modify it for port forwarding etc.

eirator wrote: »
    afaik there are no updates loaded to the modem/router other than std dhcp info and you can access the router with the old scientific america password (they were taken over by cisco) if you need to modify it for port forwarding etc.
    Wrong. I have access to the router myself and I have it with two years. I was checking the settings to see if something went wrong and it shows a new updated firmware was loaded to it just two weeks ago. I also know the firmware was changed because some of the options for the firewall have changed with the past two weeks and some other options were changed around in the other tabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is anybody else having trouble with caseys with the past two weeks?

My connection is rock solid. I am on 30mb with one of the older modems. I hear too many horror stories from people using the routers.

I thought about upgrading a while back but they told me I would have to use one of the routers. I stayed on 30mb.

I have been chasing casey for years now on bringing broadband to Ring and it just is not going to happen imho. Financially viable and all that mullarkey, good god TG4 is partially based out here would it not make sense to have a major customer like that on the books,they ahve been crying out for decent broadband for years too. Sky were supposed to be doing internet too at one stage but looks like that is gone bust as well. Steve 50 bucks for what kinda speed and usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

I will assume that was meant for me steve30x? Yes but several problems there,first no locals doing sat internet,second cost too much to install,third none of them give unlimited download and those that do charge well over 100euro per month for it.I am tied into vodafone until next april but if i found a decent sat provider that would not rape me on price i would consider leaving early. Must have un limited for under 50 euro per month otherwise whats the point?

www.alphawave.ie wireless broadband provider 1890 815 660 have unlimited download, 2mb speed for 30e pm in ring and dungarvan,(not satellite bb)

fatherbuzcagney alphawave.ie do not cover the dungarvan area unfortunately but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

fatherbuzcagney alphawave.ie do not cover the dungarvan area unfortunately but thanks anyway.

Yes they do and all of surrounding areas!! Believe me i know:;)

• Advertisement

Well according to their website they don't,just saying lol Please could you pm me so i can ask you more about their setup?

Advertisement