Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

endainoz wrote: »
    Spose people like to be reminded of their rebellious youth even though they "sold out" and "work for the man". Patti was one of the few highlights of ATN for me last year. Loved Gloria of course but her cover of beds are burning is amazing too. A truly underappreciated song in this part of the world.

I've always loved it. Good band too and Peter Garrett a decent guy. They're another option for EP in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Driving to work today and felt a little deflated as normally at this time of the year, I'd be cramming hard listening to new bands in anticipation of heading in a few weeks to Stradbally.

I know there are bigger worries in the world and people worse off, but it is a right pain the ****ing bollox that EP2020 is cancelled :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

everlast75 wrote: »
    Driving to work today and felt a little deflated as normally at this time of the year, I'd be cramming hard listening to new bands in anticipation of heading in a few weeks to Stradbally.

I know there are bigger worries in the world and people worse off, but it is a right pain the ****ing bollox that EP2020 is cancelled :(:(:(

Daylight starting to noticeably shorten, warm balmy evenings, its definitely EP time :(

Any deals on cans or camping chairs :(:(:(

I read earlier that Russia has approved a vaccine, didnt give a roll out timeline but we'll let them test the **** out of it on their own population!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Any word on when they are releasing the timetable?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭desk tidy

Yeah there's something about the sunlight around EP time, thinning but golden. Any sunny but cool morning around this time we'll stand at the back door and say, 'that's an EP morning!'. Glastonbury weekend I was fine, I think the EP one will be hard. We'll take the edge off with some cans anyway.

• Advertisement

Think we should set up a support/helpline. Perhaps the hold music could be a repetitive dull thud noise emulating the rave in the woods which we could listen to while trying to sleep with no covers on and the window wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭rubick

Think we should set up a support/helpline. Perhaps the hold music could be a repetitive dull thud noise emulating the rave in the woods which we could listen to while trying to sleep with no covers on and the window wide open.

The time-honoured early morning Picnic game "Bird or Bake", where from the relative comfort of a tent you try to guess if the squawking noise you just heard is local wildlife or an enthusiastic reveller.

Every now and then the repetitive dull thud should loosely take the form of a classic techno track, just enough so you fully waken yourself trying to work out what it is.

'Is that Pontape? Are they playing The Bells? FFS they're playing Crispy Bacon and I'm in bed in my tent like an eejit.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Im really feeling it this week. Seriously missing the build up

We said it for Glastonbury and ATN weekends, but the tent is very definitely going up in the garden over EP weekend.
    Might even load the festival truck up and wheel it round the house a few times to get a good sweat on before we put it up.
    The big question is how do we replicate our favourite festival foods. Will be quite a trick shot to replicate a Kinnara Kitchen on the BBQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭endainoz

Man, we're really feeling it now aren't we?! I hadn't thought about it much until you all started posting about it!

Maybe we should make up fantasy EP type timetables with links to live sets or something? Maybe watch them all in real time. Each of us could curate our own stage and we could throw it all together for EP weekend. Anyone interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Stillill42

rubick wrote: »
    We said it for Glastonbury and ATN weekends, but the tent is very definitely going up in the garden over EP weekend.
    Might even load the festival truck up and wheel it round the house a few times to get a good sweat on before we put it up.
    The big question is how do we replicate our favourite festival foods. Will be quite a trick shot to replicate a Kinnara Kitchen on the BBQ.
    I'm on it, Rubick. Google Jamie Oliver bbq chicken marinade. Did it on skewers on the bbq at the weekend and it gave me proper flashbacks. I have to work on my presentation, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Any word on when they are releasing the timetable?

Wednesday 31st August 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

You guys are dedicated.... I have just given up on the whole year.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I'm on it, Rubick. Google Jamie Oliver bbq chicken marinade. Did it on skewers on the bbq at the weekend and it gave me proper flashbacks. I have to work on my presentation, mind.

Queue them round the house mate, and blatter out some rolling amen breaks with a couple of potato peelers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Around this time we would probably have the last roll out of names for the main EP bill and the Red Bull stage lineup. Well I have about 40 EP live sets on my ipod that I'll be blasting out on said weekend. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I think I might have booked the wrong weekend off.
    Now I'll turn up and there won't be anyone there ffs

I ended up buying a single day ticket for the Philadelphia folk festival on Saturday night. I did it mainly for the irish acts. Wasn't too familiar with the American ones.

It did feel like a real festival for a while, had the ability to switch between stages and even go on zoom for the campsite. The production value for the Irish acts was much higher and more professional though, the American acts just looked like another dodgy single camera live from home type stream.

Irish acts included:

Daoiri Farrel, Susan o Neil, Moxie, We banjo 3, Kila, Lisa O Neil, Mick flannery, Shane Hennessy (who I hadn't heard of before, highly recommended!)

Wasn't too bad for 20 dollars I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There are 382 sleeps (hopefully, if the orange sh1tgibbon doesn't nuke the world in an attempt to stay out of jail).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

endainoz wrote: »
    I ended up buying a single day ticket for the Philadelphia folk festival on Saturday night. I did it mainly for the irish acts. Wasn't too familiar with the American ones.

It did feel like a real festival for a while, had the ability to switch between stages and even go on zoom for the campsite. The production value for the Irish acts was much higher and more professional though, the American acts just looked like another dodgy single camera live from home type stream.

Irish acts included:

Daoiri Farrel, Susan o Neil, Moxie, We banjo 3, Kila, Lisa O Neil, Mick flannery, Shane Hennessy (who I hadn't heard of before, highly recommended!)

Wasn't too bad for 20 dollars I thought!

Had never heard of the fest but sounds like a good one and probably a great weekend of craic when it actually takes place. Same here, not too familiar with many acts bar the Irish ones and the obvious (Billy Bragg, Los Lobos, Josh Ritter).

There are some goodies on there (too much time on my hands as no EP research to do!). Courtney Marie Andrews is new and very impressive and you should check out Buffy Saint-Marie if you're not aware of her. A Native American born on a Piapot reservation in Canada in the 1940s. Her work has focused on the struggles of the indigenous peoples of North America and she wrote and sang the theme song to Soldier Blue, a famously brutal 70s movie about a massacre of said peoples. She also got an Oscar for co-writing Up Where We Belong with Jack Nitzsche (who she married) and Will Jennings. She's collaborated with everybody of note on the US folk circuit including her buddy Neil Young who she's covered a fair bit. Worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Looks great!
    Courtney Marie Andrews is a favorite of mine.

The great Richard Thompson on the line up (his son Teddy is in there too).

Kris Drever (Lau) on there. He's toured Ireland solo and is fab.

Shane Hennessy is from Carlow afaik.

So looks like any small gigs are in jeopardy now, had just bought tickets for Christy Moore at the start of next month and I can't see it happening. It's a bit confusing though, if it takes place at a venue serving food would that make it ok? Whatever you'd say about FG, but this new government aren't handling things too well with their mixed messages. (Probably not a topic for this forum)

Back to gigs, this could be the death knell for fuinneamh festival unfortunately. Was really hopeful they could get to go ahead, but I can't see it now.

Hey remember a few months back when we thought events of 5,000 people would be allowed by September? Those were the days!

Ha - yep! Was walking the dogs yesterday and was thinking that normally, my biggest concern at this time of the year for the EP would be would the weather hold out :-/

Got tentatively excited when Doves announced March 2021 gigs for The Olympia and The Limelight, Belfast yesterday, but then you look at the news and honestly we'll be doing well to have a Picnic next year at this rate.

In other news I've had the riff from M83's 'Midnight City' in my head this past few days so you take the small victories where you can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

rubick wrote: »
    Got tentatively excited when Doves announced March 2021 gigs for The Olympia and The Limelight, Belfast yesterday, but then you look at the news and honestly we'll be doing well to have a Picnic next year at this rate.

In other news I've had the riff from M83's 'Midnight City' in my head this past few days so you take the small victories where you can get them.

https://twitter.com/LukasMukasPukas/status/1295369526863900678?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

With all this rain, I think we would all be worrying about the conditions underfoot and sharing deals on the best rain gear and boots on the market at this stage.

That would still be nicer than sitting here looking out the window at the raindrops and not having something to look forward to. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Stillill42

With all this rain, I think we would all be worrying about the conditions underfoot and sharing deals on the best rain gear and boots on the market at this stage.

That would still be nicer than sitting here looking out the window at the raindrops and not having something to look forward to. :(

Looking back, standing in the deluge at Body and Soul main stage listening to Public Service Broadcasting on the Saturday night a couple of years ago seems like an impossibly happy time. It may in fact have been a dream.

It seems like it's been much longer than a year since I was last at a festival. Feels like EP 2019 was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Stillill42 wrote: »
      Looking back, standing in the deluge at Body and Soul main stage listening to Public Service Broadcasting on the Saturday night a couple of years ago seems like an impossibly happy time. It may in fact have been a dream.

Dare I say it, but the rain may have even made that better.

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭rubick

Reckon it might have been a bit marshy underfoot this year. Sure you'd take it now, no bother.
      There'll be some craic at These Charming Men next time we meet, lads.

Advertisement