Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PP sought for housing devt. at Blakes/Esmonde Motors site in Stillorgan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I agree with both of the last comments, but do have concerns about the traffic/parking implications

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

homer911 wrote: »
    I agree with both of the last comments, but do have concerns about the traffic/parking implications

the new residents will have everything on their doorstep... they will only have to drive if going further afield. Also the N11 with endless buses is a few second walk away...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

Between most of the area on-street parking being pay&display parking already, and most of the apartments going to students, I'd say there shouldn't be too much of a road traffic increase. Can't see many of the apartment holders paying for a permanent p&d spot.

The only thing it might do is expand the pay&display zone outwards a bit, probably to the other side of the N11 and down a few hundred meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Blut2 wrote: »
    Between most of the area on-street parking being pay&display parking already, and most of the apartments going to students, I'd say there shouldn't be too much of a road traffic increase. Can't see many of the apartment holders paying for a permanent p&d spot.

The only thing it might do is expand the pay&display zone outwards a bit, probably to the other side of the N11 and down a few hundred meters.

The other side of the N11 is Stillorgan Park Road where there is no parking at all on the main road all the way to Carysfort Ave. and I'm pretty certain the local residents don't want new people parking overnight in the estates.

In case anyone points out that Stillorgan Park Road doesn't have double yellow lines, it does have a continuous white line down the centre which, as well as outlawing overtaking, also forbids parking on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Is there no underground parking as part of the development? I know it's expensive but I would have thought it was desirable for the non-student units at least.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    The other side of the N11 is Stillorgan Park Road where there is no parking at all on the main road all the way to Carysfort Ave. and I'm pretty certain the local residents don't want new people parking overnight in the estates.

In case anyone points out that Stillorgan Park Road doesn't have double yellow lines, it does have a continuous white line down the centre which, as well as outlawing overtaking, also forbids parking on both sides.

My point is that the estates on the other side of the N11 will likely move to pay & display to prevent exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    homer911 wrote: »

the new residents will have everything on their doorstep... they will only have to drive if going further afield. Also the N11 with endless buses is a few second walk away...
    And cycle lane

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Minor point, but many Dublin-based students live there during the week, and drive home at the weekend. That's where the requirement for a parking space comes in.

Minor point, but many Dublin-based students live there during the week, and drive home at the weekend. That's where the requirement for a parking space comes in.

I haven't read the details of the planning application but I assume that when it's flagged as student accommodation, there will be very limited parking. And having a parking space to keep a car idle for all of Monday to Friday in Dublin is a luxury that very few students will be able to afford, let alone that landlords will be able to provide in new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Just bumping this as this relates to the boarded-up Council housing beside the library.

http://www.eoghanmurphy.ie/2018/05/25/20m-social-affordable-housing-in-stillorgan/

Eoghan Murphy saying that there is funding for a €20M development of social and affordable housing. Knock the existing social housing and build a 9-storey development. Consultation with DLRCC and Dept of Housing to commence shortly.

It's silent about whether the library site is included in the development or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

wowy wrote: »
    Just bumping this as this relates to the boarded-up Council housing beside the library.

http://www.eoghanmurphy.ie/2018/05/25/20m-social-affordable-housing-in-stillorgan/

Eoghan Murphy saying that there is funding for a €20M development of social and affordable housing. Knock the existing social housing and build a 9-storey development. Consultation with DLRCC and Dept of Housing to commence shortly.

It's silent about whether the library site is included in the development or not.

Bumping this again as DLRCC have now launched a public consultation for the proposed works, for 88 apartments and a new library.

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/housing/pc-h-01-20-housing-development-at-st-laurences-par/?fbclid=IwAR2u9KHyPwgd404GyAIarGElGR9NunwdPvY3rcNN7yOVQ7nggwuWZZJNOkA

This aerial CGI shows this proposed development along with the permitted Leisureplex site & Blakes/Esmonde site developments:

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/housing/pc-h-01-20-housing-development-at-st-laurences-par/supporting_documents/776_PA_46.pdf

Serious changes afoot for Stillorgan.

Bumping this again as DLRCC have now launched a public consultation for the proposed works, for 88 apartments and a new library.

Bump all you like but in over two years, nobody responded to your first post (#41) on that topic.

Might be time to consider starting a new thread as you're referring to a county council funded project which is on a completely different site?

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/housing/pc-h-01-20-housing-development-at-st-laurences-par/?fbclid=IwAR2u9KHyPwgd404GyAIarGElGR9NunwdPvY3rcNN7yOVQ7nggwuWZZJNOkA

This aerial CGI shows this proposed development along with the permitted Leisureplex site & Blakes/Esmonde site developments:

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/housing/pc-h-01-20-housing-development-at-st-laurences-par/supporting_documents/776_PA_46.pdf

Serious changes afoot for Stillorgan.

Looks great. Hopefully it all gets built sooner rather later. All those additional residents will be fantastic for the businesses in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The student accommodation may be being binned in favour of a build to rent scheme with substantially more units.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The student accommodation may be being binned in favour of a build to rent scheme with substantially more units.

Where did you hear this?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

Sorry for the delay responding.

Via a friend, consultants sought a PAC back in early March for an expanded BTR scheme. With all that has happened since I'm not sure if the meeting has taken place. No sign of any imminent works on the site though and the student accommodation was granted two years ago I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Blut2 wrote: »
    Looks great. Hopefully it all gets built sooner rather later. All those additional residents will be fantastic for the businesses in the area.

Not for the leisureplex though. With that many extra people living on top of each other, one of the things making stillorgan desirable will disappear. There'll be less to do and likely more cars competing for the free parking, which will probably start charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not for the leisureplex though. With that many extra people living on top of each other, one of the things making stillorgan desirable will disappear. There'll be less to do and likely more cars competing for the free parking, which will probably start charging.

The free parking is already time limited. I don't think people will be driving from Blakes over to the Shopping Centre, will they?

A year and change later, Cairn have a pre-planning consultation with ABP for 318 BTR units and crèche. 'Decision' on December 15th.

The old library was finally torn down in the last couple of days, I suspect the maisonettes will follow shortly. Work on the Leisureplex site seems to be gathering pace too, Stillorgan will look radically different in 5 years.

And how. But I look forward to it at this stage, the dereliction by the N11 for the last decade or so has been depressing looking, particularly for those of us who remember Dads buying cars in Esmondes, eating in a packed out Blake's and meeting up with girls in the Bowler long before mobile communications!

Time for new beginnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Long overdue, the site has been looking desolate for too long now. Interesting to note that they have managed to squeeze another 36 apartments into the development. No cinema??????😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Still no sign of a swimming pool for Stillorgan either, almost a decade after the old one closed for having a dodgy roof. The roof was still there the last time I walked by but all the things that made Stillorgan fun are gone apart from the cinema.

It's a shame these new developments don't give something more to the area.

Last I heard, the Council and Crokes were close to finalising a project to redevelop Glenalbyn Pool on its existing site, but that capital funding from LSSIF national fund isn't yet forthcoming.

I'd imagine if they completed the design and got planning approval sorted, the liklihood of securing funding would increase greatly. The Government are only interested in projects that they know will be delivered without delay, once they fund them.

Advertisement